PDA

View Full Version : Green Hilt

Decahedral Tofu
2008-12-28, 12:42 AM
Bozzok's sword is almost identical to Roy's. Is Bozzok just being fashionable, or might this be a subtle plot point? Additionally, where is Roy's sword? Belkar didn't grab it when he left; he was too busy killing things/people.

Closer investigation reveals that Roy's heirloom sword has a curved handguard, while Bozzok's are square. But really; what's with all these green hilts? Roy's gonna need to change his name to Roy Greenhiltcurvedhandguard when he gets resurrected, otherwise people will start thinking he's got a half-orc half-brother. :P

chionophile
2008-12-28, 12:43 AM
I believe Roy also wields a greatsword, while Bozzok's is a bastard sword.

Ghastly Epigram
2008-12-28, 01:14 AM
They do not look THAT similar. Different shades of green, one is curved, one blade is long and thin while the other is shorter and wider...

They are both SWORDS, I will give you that. :smalltongue:

Decahedral Tofu
2008-12-28, 01:23 AM
I believe Roy also wields a greatsword, while Bozzok's is a bastard sword.

The only difference there is that Roy's great and Bozzok's a... jerk. ;P

Epigram:
They both seem long and thick to me. Wow, this out-of-context discussion is starting to remind me of OOTS #28 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0028.html).

I don't really think there's anything to it; I just find it funny that Roy's namesake is being shown to be quite insignificant. No wonder Xykon can never remember him! He's probably killed dozens of fighters wielding swords with green hilts!

Finwe
2008-12-28, 01:40 AM
The only difference there is that Roy's great and Bozzok's a... jerk. ;P

Now now, not everyone born out of wedlock is a jerk.

Setra
2008-12-28, 01:45 AM
Now now, not everyone born out of wedlock is a jerk.
Actually most of the people I've met in that case are quite nice :smalltongue:

Actually I find in general the Father's of children born out of wedlock to be the bigger jerk.[/offtopic]

Clearly Bazzok is Roy's Uncle's Mother's Father's Stepsons Daughter's Second Cousin Twice Removed.

Decahedral Tofu
2008-12-28, 01:51 AM
Uncle's Mother's Father's Stepsons Daughter's Second Cousin Twice Removed.No, no, no. :/

He's got to be Roy's grandfather's nephew's apprentice's girlfriend's brother's editor's wife.

btw, Bozzok is a wife. *giggle*

Optimystik
2008-12-28, 02:51 AM
Roy's gonna need to change his name to Roy Greenhiltcurvedhandguard when he gets resurrected, otherwise people will start thinking he's got a half-orc half-brother. :P

Given his mother's active nature, it really wouldn't surprise me.

David Argall
2008-12-28, 03:14 AM
Keep in mind that we are dealing with stickfigure art. That A looks a lot like B is just going to happen.

Morgan Wick
2008-12-28, 04:41 AM
No, no, no. :/

He's got to be Roy's grandfather's nephew's apprentice's girlfriend's brother's editor's wife.

btw, Bozzok is a wife. *giggle*

No, no, no! He's got to be Roy's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate! (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094012/quotes) How did no one catch this already???

Liwen
2008-12-28, 04:45 AM
Btw, just so you know, the actual Greenhlit sword is within Haley's bag of holding. Proof (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0581.html) Read the 5th panel, Haley's second speech bubble.

Tholok Razescar
2008-12-28, 04:52 AM
Guys, you're all wrong. Clearly, in the alternate future, after the world is saved, Roy takes to life as a blacksmith, forging Bozzok's sword. He then goes back in time due to a freak accident, and due to circumstances ( DAMN those circumstances) ends up knocking up a certain orc lady. He raises the child, gives him the sword for later use, and then goes back into the future (to roughly the point where he goes on the quest to destroy Xykon). Meanwhile, Bozzok grows into a bitter bastard, feeling neglected by his time-travelling father, takes to a life of crime, wielding the sword his father forged.

There you go!

Beans
2008-12-28, 11:42 AM
Alrighty. Comparing the two weapons...
BLADES: Bozzok's is white(ish), Roy's is light gray. Bozzok's is also narrower, and it tapers more. At its widest, it's a little narrower than Roy's. By contrast, Roy's doesn't taper nearly as much. And Bozz's is a little shorter.
HILTS: Roy's is, surprise surprise, noticeably green. It's also pretty wide. Bozz's is, unless my acursed colorblindness deceives me, more brown than anything. And it's narrower.

Ah, what the hell? I'll go ahead and compare the characters (appearance-wise) themselves for the sheer pointlessness of it.
CLOTHES: Roy's got a blue... shirt thing (presumably with armor underneath) and metal shoulderpads. Bozz has a green shirt and brown pants (I think that brown stripe indicates pants.). Roy's boots are shortish and yellowy-tan, while Bozz's are tall (looks like knee-length) and bootlacey and brown.

BODY SHAPE: They have the same broad torso shape, and one could hazard a guess that they're about the same height. However, since I can't find a panel where they're both shown, comparison may not be that accurate.

ER... OTHER?: Roy's head is hair-lacking. Bozz has spikety hair and a villainous goatee.

SUMMARY: The swords aren't as similar as one might think, with Bozz's being smaller overall. It would be interesting if the two ever did square off against each other, although that mayn't be likely.

[TS] Shadow
2008-12-28, 08:05 PM
I think the question of this thread was "what happened to Roy's sword?" The answer: Haley put Roy's stuff in one of her bags of holding. I assume his sword would be included.