PDA

View Full Version : Converting Grimalkins for PC use. (3.5)

Tempest Fennac
2008-12-28, 03:57 AM
I was looking through Monster Manual 2, and I thought it would be amusing to try playing as a creature called a Grimalkin, which is basically a large shape-shifting housecat. Please could you guys tell me if you think these stats are balanced? (I wanted a version which lacks LA).

Grimalkin: +2 Dex and Cha and -2 Str and Int. Small Size, 30' movement, Empathy*, The Shapeshifter Druids Predator form while gaining 2 1d4 Claw attacks at level 5, +4 to MS checks, +2 Jump and Climb, Darkvision 60' and limited equipment (4 ring, 1 neck, 1 shoulder and 1 head, unable to use weapons).

*Picks up surface emotions and desires if target fails a DC 13 Will save.

Matthew
2008-12-28, 02:23 PM
I think it is probably a bit on the powerful side to be able to shapeshift at will as a racial feature with no Level Adjustment. I can see that you have tried to offset this a bit by limiting the number of magical item slots, but I don't know if that is balanced. Limiting the potential forms to the druid predator variant seems more reasonable, but then I wonder how true that is to the Grimalkin monster entry. Tough to say; I guess on the whole I think it is probably okay, though I could see others suggesting LA +1.

Judging from the attribute array, where Grimalkin have +2 dexterity, I would probably remove attribute adjustments altogether.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2009-01-02, 03:25 AM
Looking at this I myself would do something more simple, like say reflavoring a shifter, likely just with the razorclaw trait. Thematically, the shifting could give you a very catlike shape instead of just being more catlike.