PDA

View Full Version : Best weapon/ feat combo for 3.5

ivendale
2008-12-28, 04:14 PM
I want to make a scimishing roughinsh 6th level dvati, I was wondering what feats, weapons, classes and skill tricks I should take.
Could you help?

ericgrau
2008-12-28, 04:18 PM
I didn't even know what dvati were so I googled and found a guide right off the bat.

http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-772268.html

Google is your friend, heh.

AslanCross
2008-12-28, 05:36 PM
Err, do you mean "skirmishing roguish" character? If you want to go skirmishing, best to use is a scout. Use bows. If you want lots of Sneak Dice and Skirmish Dice, Take Scout, multiclass with Rogue, and take the Swift Ambusher feat. It will allow your Scout and Rogue levels to stack for both Sneak Attack and Skirmish progression.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-28, 05:52 PM
Take Scout, multiclass with Rogue, and take the Swift Ambusher feat. It will allow your Scout and Rogue levels to stack for both Sneak Attack and Skirmish progression. Actually, no. The benefit is only for skirmish damage; plus you can qualify for more Ambush feats. There is zero increase in sneak attack damage from Swift Ambusher and your Scout levels.
Your rogue and scout levels stack for the purpose of determining the extra damage and bonus to Armor Class granted when skirmishing. For example, a 4th-level scout/7th-level rogue would deal an extra 3d6 points of damage and gain a +3 competence bonus to AC when skirmishing, as if she were an 11th-level scout.

In addition, you can qualify for ambush feats as if your sneak attack bonus damage were the sum of your skirmish damage and sneak attack bonus damage. You cannot sacrifice skirmish extra damage to use those feats, however.

AslanCross
2008-12-28, 05:56 PM
Actually, no. The benefit is only for skirmish damage; plus you can qualify for more Ambush feats. There is zero increase in sneak attack damage from Swift Ambusher and your Scout levels.

Ah, I didn't notice that. I'd assumed all the multiclass feats worked similarly. Thanks for the clarification.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-28, 06:26 PM
Yeah, Rogues got relatively poor treatment in multiclassing feats. There is, however, Sacred Outlaw (Dragon # 357) which lets you combine Rogue and Cleric levels for undead turning and sneak attack. This makes Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) (6 skill points/level!) a good pairing with Rogue.

kamikasei
2008-12-28, 06:36 PM
Yeah, Rogues got relatively poor treatment in multiclassing feats.

Thing is, if you could stack the levels for both sneak attack and skirmish then a rogue x/scout y with the feat would be attacking with the sneak attack of a rogue (x+y) and the skirmish of a scout (x+y) most of the time, giving a greater total damage output than either class taken in a straight progression. That's obviously unbalanced. The abilities are simply too similar to double up on.

Curmudgeon
2008-12-28, 07:04 PM
Thing is, if you could stack the levels for both sneak attack and skirmish then a rogue x/scout y with the feat would be attacking with the sneak attack of a rogue (x+y) and the skirmish of a scout (x+y) most of the time, giving a greater total damage output than either class taken in a straight progression. That's obviously unbalanced. The abilities are simply too similar to double up on. The problem is that the feat is already unbalanced, heavily favoring mostly-Rogue characters with a little Scout dip. You get nearly all the sneak damage plus full skirmish damage. But mostly-Scout characters get very little: only a little sneak damage plus full skirmish damage. So it's great for Rogue 19/Scout 1: 10d6 sneak attack + 5d6 skirmish, a 50% boost when you can get both types of precision damage. Not so great for Rogue 1/Scout 19: 1d6 sneak attack + 5d6 skirmish, a 20% boost with both types of precision damage.

Chineselegolas
2008-12-28, 07:48 PM
The problem is that the feat is already unbalanced, heavily favoring mostly-Rogue characters with a little Scout dip. You get nearly all the sneak damage plus full skirmish damage. But mostly-Scout characters get very little: only a little sneak damage plus full skirmish damage. So it's great for Rogue 19/Scout 1: 10d6 sneak attack + 5d6 skirmish, a 50% boost when you can get both types of precision damage. Not so great for Rogue 1/Scout 19: 1d6 sneak attack + 5d6 skirmish, a 20% boost with both types of precision damage.
Except you need three of scout to quality, yet only one of Rogue.