PDA

View Full Version : Evolving Idea: Mecha Pilots of The Planes

Leliel
2008-12-28, 04:32 PM
Well, you may recall that some time ago, I had an idea for a game involing magic-using space pirates, which I eventually merged into another idea I had for D&D Mecha-ie, space pirates who pilot mecha and use magic.

Since I needed one more thing to make that idea truly worthy of the phrase "I Am Not Making This Up", I have decided to add the 4E World Axis into the mix, turning it into a planar campagin-the justification for the mecha being that they were a technological adaptation to help the empire that created them to expand into other worlds, since they use the Astral Sea as a form of hyperspace-and it isn't the friendliest place in the world, as the githyanki will tell you.

Plus, isn't in awesome mental image to see giant robots fighting against massive demons?

So, what is your take on this?

Oslecamo
2008-12-28, 04:37 PM
Plus, isn't in awesome mental image to see giant robots fighting against massive demons?

No. Awesome would be the demons using even bigger mechas to fight the puny mortal mechas. I know that daemons are CE and all, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't produce their own infernal mecha legions to counter the mortal mecha legions, otherwise it's just plain ridiculous.

As for rules wise, well, you could create construct monsters that the party can get inside to fight.

Or then simply make the mechas wondrous items wich allow the players to channel their powers trough them while giving fat stat bonuses plus armor and bigger weapons.

Behold_the_Void
2008-12-28, 04:38 PM

So, Getter Robo?

Tengu_temp
2008-12-28, 04:40 PM

http://ffrpg.republika.pl/fyes2.PNG

(Censored so a bad word wouldn't cause a trillion of kids that browse these forums to cry as they lose their innocence forever.)

Heliomance
2008-12-28, 04:48 PM
No, awesome is when the entire plane of Mechanus turns out to be the biggest mecha of them all.

chiasaur11
2008-12-28, 04:55 PM
No, awesome is when the entire plane of Mechanus turns out to be the biggest mecha of them all.

Yes.

I like to think I was the first on this forum to propose that.

I am almost definitely wrong.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-28, 04:56 PM
If you think I approve of this less than 100%, you don't read anything I post.

Especially the Mechanus idea.

Bayar
2008-12-28, 05:00 PM
No, awesome is gnomes from Zilargo that developed mecha suits from remains of warforged during the last war, using them to fight the other nations, and one of the more advanced versions of said mecha's going all "bzzt" and **** and blowing up in a nuclear mushroom cloud, causing the Mourning day.

Kris Strife
2008-12-28, 06:16 PM
I call Domone, Amuro, Heero and Roger Smith as party members, and I'm stealing Megas...

What would the spell failure rates on these be in 3.5?

chiasaur11
2008-12-28, 06:18 PM
I call Domone, Amuro, Heero and Roger Smith as party members, and I'm stealing Megas...

What would the spell failure rates on these be in 3.5?

In that case, I'm taking Kamina and Michael Wilson (And his BURNING AMERICAN PATRIOTIC JUSTICE!)

I mean, giant robots only get more fun if you push them beyond the impossible.

Asheram
2008-12-28, 06:24 PM

Hahaha! That would be a sight. The whole plane of mechanus folding up into a Macross fortress.

Kris Strife
2008-12-28, 06:33 PM
Hahaha! That would be a sight. The whole plane of mechanus folding up into a Macross fortress.

But would you still have to listen to cheesy pop star songs?

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-28, 06:45 PM

Yes, because the planar uber-mecha has magical loudspeakers.

Also:

In soviet Mechanus, entire plane stomps on you!

chiasaur11
2008-12-28, 06:52 PM

Nope.

Fortunately, pure lawful beings hate J-pop.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-12-28, 06:57 PM

What would the spell failure rates on these be in 3.5?30%

And don't try to claim Char, either, Lord Iames Osari's already done it.

Abbott
2008-12-28, 07:02 PM
I have one word for you: Dragonmech. It's D&D steampunk!

KKL
2008-12-28, 08:23 PM
Y'all can **** around however you like, but I'm gonna take the Ideon and Genesic GaoGaiGar. And the Dis Astranagant, if possible.

chiasaur11
2008-12-28, 08:35 PM
Y'all can **** around however you like, but I'm gonna take the Ideon and Genesic GaoGaiGar. And the Dis Astranagant, if possible.

Nice.

I cannot fault a guy who takes a robot that destroyed the universe.
Man, Ideon vs. TTGL would be epic. Then again, throw in Mechanus as a giant robot, Primus, and Unicron, and things get even better.

togapika
2008-12-28, 09:38 PM
I can do nothing but point to the character idea I posted on the boards awhile back about Klaus the Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a powersuit....

LibraryOgre
2008-12-28, 10:01 PM
Well, you may recall that some time ago, I had an idea for a game involing magic-using space pirates, which I eventually merged into another idea I had for D&D Mecha-ie, space pirates who pilot mecha and use magic.

Since I needed one more thing to make that idea truly worthy of the phrase "I Am Not Making This Up", I have decided to add the 4E World Axis into the mix, turning it into a planar campagin-the justification for the mecha being that they were a technological adaptation to help the empire that created them to expand into other worlds, since they use the Astral Sea as a form of hyperspace-and it isn't the friendliest place in the world, as the githyanki will tell you.

This sounds like a Rifts campaign. ;-)

AslanCross
2008-12-28, 10:20 PM

Thankfully the Macross Frontier songs were a lot less cheesy. :D

Though I'd like to note one does not necessarily have to tap anime to do this. Introducing interlopers from Magic: the Gathering's Phyrexia (basically mecha hell ruled by a godlike avatar of death and decay) would bring planeshifting biomechanical horrors.
http://www.phyrexia.com/images/featureart.jpg

Kind of begs the question: "Mommy, where do evil Warforged go when they die?"