PDA

View Full Version : O-Chul's 'lie'

Niley
2008-12-28, 08:00 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html

I have a feeling that Girard's Gate will be EXACTLY like in O-Chul's 'lie' description...

[TS] Shadow
2008-12-28, 08:03 PM
Well, obviously. Girard was an illusionist, and as we know from strip 277, Girard did indeed use illusions to hide the gate. But as Redcloak said: what kind of illusions? I find it unlikely that Girard would trust the talkitive Serini with the way how to go around his illusions, and that's assuming that he broke the oath to not mess with the other members gates like Dourkan and Lirian did...

Niley
2008-12-28, 08:06 PM
Well... I mostly meant the maze and the riddles, but let's continue the discussion...

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-28, 08:18 PM
I think it is hidden in the desert.

BTW, what better place to put it then in the desert? Mirages may be real, but not appear to be so.

I expect a lot of strips about his gate.

Fish
2008-12-28, 08:49 PM
I have a feeling that Girard's Gate will be EXACTLY like in O-Chul's 'lie' description...
And yet Redcloak will insist that it isn't because he knows O'Chul was lying.

Traker
2008-12-28, 09:00 PM
I think it is hidden in the desert.

BTW, what better place to put it then in the desert? Mirages may be real, but not appear to be so.

I expect a lot of strips about his gate.

Your right.

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-28, 09:14 PM
Wait, I have a question about the Order of the Scribble:

Was Soon killed in SoD?

If so, does that mean that it is possible that Giriad and Serini are still alive?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-12-28, 09:22 PM
Wait, I have a question about the Order of the Scribble:

Was Soon killed in SoD?

If so, does that mean that it is possible that Giriad and Serini are still alive?

No, Soon was not shown being killed in SoD.

As for Girard and Serini, they might still be alive, but they would be quite elderly. OTOH, Girard only looks elderly if he chooses!

Dorukan and Lirian are technically Missing in Action, since we haven't seen the soul gem since. So up to five of the original six might make a second appearance.

OOTS_Supporter
2008-12-28, 09:26 PM
No, Soon was not shown being killed in SoD.

As for Girard and Serini, they might still be alive, but they would be quite elderly. OTOH, Girard only looks elderly if he chooses!

Dorukan and Lirian are technically Missing in Action, since we haven't seen the soul gem since. So up to five of the original six might make a second appearance.

I hope they do. I would like to see their personalites contrasted to the OOTS, since the OOTSC is like the good counterpart of the OOTS.

TheBST
2008-12-28, 09:46 PM

Since Xykon got Serini's diary, I really doubt she's alive. I'm expecting to see Girard in illusory form, though.

Alias
2008-12-28, 09:59 PM
:mitd: Gate, what gate?

(Sorry, running gag).

David Argall
2008-12-28, 10:22 PM
As for Girard and Serini, they might still be alive, but they would be quite elderly.

That depends. By the standard charts, both might not be yet venerable, and Girard might not even be old. However, it seems that Soon was already old when he formed the Order of the Scribble.
In any case, the two should still be alive, barring natural causes [Death spells, uber monsters, etc are natural causes for adventurers.]

Ganurath
2008-12-28, 10:37 PM
No, Soon was not shown being killed in SoD.He was, however, said to have died by Shojo in the origin story of the Sapphire Guard.

Also of note: Halflings have a lifespan of centuries. Dorukan was an old man when Xykon moved in, so Serini won't be all white hairs if she's still alive. Heck, she probablycould have mentored Haley's father, and it was a note about her capture that Bozzok used to draw him away to a trap.

As for Girard, depending on his age the (beguiler?) is either Dorukan wrinkly or a Persistant Illusion with some very sophisticated prerecording.

Niley
2008-12-29, 10:38 AM
Also of note: Halflings have a lifespan of centuries. Dorukan was an old man when Xykon moved in, so Serini won't be all white hairs if she's still alive. Heck, she probablycould have mentored Haley's father, and it was a note about her capture that Bozzok used to draw him away to a trap.

Hm. Another entry in my I-Want-It-To-Happen list...

House_of_Dexter
2008-12-29, 10:45 AM
The best way to hide something...is to not hide it...

I would have a concealed pit at the very beginning of the complex. The complex would be very nasty illusions and traps...Of course the pit at the very beginning would be the gate...Or to add more frustration...from Tomb of Horrors...right in front of the Gate is a sphere of annihilation.

NerfTW
2009-01-01, 11:33 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0545.html

Wasn't that the whole point of the strip? He didn't "lie", he very clearly told the truth and Redcloak refused to believe him. We already know the gate is guarded by exactly what O'chul said, given the descriptions in the Order of the Scribble flashback.

Kish
2009-01-01, 11:51 AM
Wasn't that the whole point of the strip? He didn't "lie", he very clearly told the truth and Redcloak refused to believe him. We already know the gate is guarded by exactly what O'chul said, given the descriptions in the Order of the Scribble flashback.
No, we just know it's guarded by illusions--as does Redcloak.

O-Chul has been insisting he doesn't know any of the details for most of the time Redcloak has been questioning him, and every magical or psionic detection method Redcloak has used has supported the truth of what he's saying. Speculate that he made an amazingly lucky guess if you must, but not that he was telling the truth about the gate being guarded by a maze with riddles and lying all the times he said he didn't know.

Linkavitch
2009-01-01, 05:26 PM
And yet Redcloak will insist that it isn't because he knows O'Chul was lying.

Supposedly. But Also, RC could think O-chul would be lying, when he actually is. And then lies about lying, thus making RC disbelieve the truth of his lie, which is what he wanted all along.

Sorry. Ton of randomness.