PDA

View Full Version : (Unofficial) Pantheon Design Contest

eldersphinx
2004-11-07, 08:36 PM
For this contest, you'll be creating a pantheon of deities. The deities should be related to each other in some clear way. They can be the patrons of a particular race, or the guiding deities of a particular nation or region. They might be organized as a family. Or they might simply all relate to aspects of a particular theme - patrons of different elemental forces, for instance, or sponsors of different kinds of craft.

Here's the rules:

1.) Your pantheon should have at least four deities, and can include up to eight. At a minimum, you should have the following information for each deity:

- Name
- Alignment
- Areas of Influence
- Role in the Pantheon
- Clerical Domains and Options
- Granted Weapon (for Spiritual Weapon and the like)

Also include at least some flavor text for each deity. You can discuss the deity's history, personality and behavior, divine goals, relationships with the rest of the pantheon, behavior towards priests and worshippers, typical exemplar servants, and so on. Write as little or as much as you like - just remember, this is what you'll be judged on, so give us enough detail to get us interested but not so much we're bored to tears. ;)

2.) Specify the name of your pantheon (or the name of the god leading the pantheon, if necessary) and the way in which they're related to each other at the start of your entry post. For instance, if Corellon Larethian was entering, he might start his post with:

The Seldarine
Theme: Elven deities

3.) Statblocks for deities or avatars, or references to material from Deities and Demigods, aren't necessary. The goal of the contest is to design a pantheon of deities, not create a gang of ubermonsters. Feel free to include statblocks or SDAs, but be aware that many of the people reading your submission won't get it, or care.

4.) It should go without saying, but all deities submitted should be original material, and not copied from outside sources. You can refer to the names of published deities in your own flavor text, though it's recommended that you use the names of deities that appear in the D&D core rules rather than Forgotten Realms, Eberron or a similar campaign setting.

5.) Each new divine pantheon should be started on a new thread here on the Contests board, dedicated to just that pantheon and the discussion of it. Put the tag [Pantheon Design] in front of the title of that thread. Any thread without this tag will not be officially entered.

6.) Post on this thread to let people know that you have entered a divine pantheon. We'll try to keep a post with all the entries listed in one place for easy reference.

7.) The contest begins today, the 8th of November. All entries may be altered and revised up until the deadline, December 10th, when voting begins; you may even add additional deities to your set. Contestants are asked to be on the honor system regarding keeping their entries unchanged after the deadline.

8.) Categories of voting and judgement will include the following:
- Best PC 'hook'
- Best NPC/adventure 'hook'
- Best campaign/setting 'hook'
- Best exploration of a theme
- Funniest pantheon
- Most original pantheon

A Website Staff Award may also be included if Rich and the mods choose to weigh in on this contest.

9.) This is an unofficial contest being hosted on the Giant's message boards in the spirit of past GitP contests. I am not a mod and no mods are sponsoring the outcome. Accordingly, we can't promise custom titles, web hosting with author credit, or any other perks the winners. You just get to have fun and gloat a bit if you win.

In the event that the Giant or another mod throws their awesome power behind this contest, we may be able to provide some rewards for the winner. In the event that this happens, this post will be modified accordingly.

Use this thread for both questions and to alert us to any entries. Ladies and gentlemen, start your keyboards!!

ArlEammon
2004-11-07, 08:40 PM
I will begin to type out my pantheon's gods.They are called the Gods of Grey Spirit.

Premier
2004-11-09, 07:15 PM
Will there be an award for "Longest Bloody Writeup, Could You Just Shut Up Already"? I think I'm already a strong contender, and I have just started...

Grey Watcher
2004-11-11, 09:09 PM
Will there be an award for "Longest Bloody Writeup, Could You Just Shut Up Already"? I think I'm already a strong contender, and I have just started...

Dang, if that category had existed for the Spell Theme contest, I'd have won, hands down.

Kyle
2004-11-14, 10:19 AM
I am.

Cryptonym
2004-11-15, 10:23 PM
Whatever - my own unique way of starting out, I guess - posting up an entry to a contest as my first post...ever.

Sucros
2004-11-15, 10:54 PM
Got some stuff from two worlds I've built.

Comments would be appreciated, as I'm planning on using some of the stuff in campaigns soonish.

Lilly
2004-11-16, 12:22 AM
I have an entry up... It came from my brains which is a very strange place with cotton candy unicorns... Read it if you want, I'll be putting up more history with it later.

Cultofisis
2004-11-21, 05:08 PM
The gods of the Desert Tribes are in the running.

metaofantioch
2004-11-30, 10:13 PM
Just added a few dieties for the Pantheon of Fantasy Cliches.

Premier
2004-12-06, 08:24 AM
Just curious, what's the deadline on this contest? I'm asking because I was pretty busy recently and couldn't get much stuff done.

Hydro
2004-12-06, 10:22 AM
Voting begins on the 10th: check rule 7.

Hopefuly you'll get a chance to finish; I kinda liked what you had going there Premier.

Belial_the_Leveler
2004-12-07, 10:10 PM
Hoping I am not too late: I have posted a part of the pantheon I made and always use in all games that it is needed (Including DnD ofcourse). Because the Pantheon is quite old it has grown quite big-bigger than the DnD pantheon actually thus I only post the 4 greatest powers/overgods of the 4 sides available. Expect heavy details

Premier
2004-12-08, 05:17 PM
Voting begins on the 10th: check rule 7.

Hopefuly you'll get a chance to finish; I kinda liked what you had going there Premier.

Chances are, no I won't. I might be able to finish the Builders, who make up a part (if a significant part) of the whole pantheon proper. Oh well, too bad.

Hydro
2004-12-08, 07:56 PM
Ah well, tough break.

I have an idea of my own that I've planned on submitting ever since I first suggested the pantheon idea, yet with finals looming I may not get a chance to write them up either.

'S just the way the dice fall, I suppose.