PDA

View Full Version : [L5R] To build a Bushi

UserClone
2008-12-28, 11:35 PM
So I will be in a Legend of the Five Rings (3E Revised) campaign, starting up soon, and the DM has requested that we all give her character sheets ASAP...except I just got the book today, and I am lost. I normally pick up games pretty quickly, and can make a reasonable character sheet up after a quick skim of the Character Generation chapter, but this one has me stumped? Can anyone more experienced help me get a handle on this, and quick?

I will be attempting to make a Scorpion Bayushi School Bushi.

The other relevant information is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5435984&postcount=1)

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

mabriss lethe
2008-12-29, 04:29 AM
I'm not as familiar with 3e as I am with 1 and 2. But it's all pretty simple. use your CP to buy improved traits, skills and advantages. There are tables somewhere in the character creation section of the book that'll tell you how much they all cost. Pick up a disadvantage or two to help mitigate that cost (Never go overboard on disads. In L5R they hurt...a lot.)

As for Bayushi bushi in particular. It's kind of trade off really. You can focus on being the "fastest gun in Rokugan" by dumping as much as possible into boosting your initiative. However, that payoff is really only for the first rank or two. (If Way of the scorpion still works the same) since you pretty much make multiple initiative rolls and keep the best of them. The other option is to let your techniques cover the holes in your attributes. Unlike some systems. L5R does tend to reward a character with well rounded attributes.

Remember, if you're going to be in a combat heavy game, mortality rates in L5R are monsterous. The combat mechanics are brutal. Think before you fight.

Neithan
2008-12-29, 04:45 AM
I highly recommend to let your gm assist you with that.

Darth Stabber
2008-12-29, 09:16 AM
Yeah, Love L5R but the 3e book is not well set up. As far getting a character done quick that's hard, if you have not played the game before the help of someone who has is terribly important, reguardless of your experience in roleplaying. When one of my friends got the game, no one had played it before and it took like three hours for us to build our characters. But the game is amazing.

UserClone
2008-12-29, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. Any particular things I should look at boosting for a pseudo-Courtier Bushi, focused on intimidation through deceit and gossip (and using the Bayushi reputation to full effect), but who, when it comes right down to it, will still not hesitate to cut you down where you stand if you decide to still face him?

Dyllan
2008-12-29, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the tips and encouragement. Any particular things I should look at boosting for a pseudo-Courtier Bushi, focused on intimidation through deceit and gossip (and using the Bayushi reputation to full effect), but who, when it comes right down to it, will still not hesitate to cut you down where you stand if you decide to still face him?

Look at the Voice advantage and Bad Reputation disadvantage. Voice is a great bonus to pretty much any roll involving speaking, and Bad Reputation - if you pick the right reputation - can be helpful with intimidation. My last Bayushi had bad reputation - ninja. Some people thought he was a ninja (he wasn't), though most know ninja are just stories told to scare children... they aren't real, right? But it did help when someone thought I was a ninja and I was trying to scare them. :-) Didn't help so much when I was trying to be honest - but, I didn't do that much. Also, crafty wouldn't hurt.