PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Brute Strike VS Martial Power Dailies

Cyclone49
2008-12-29, 09:18 AM
I recently bought Martial Power, and while on the whole I am fairly impressed with it, I'm little confused about how the level 1 fighter daily powers balance with those from the players handbook. Harriers Ploy, Lasting Threat and Flanking Assault (from MP) all let you do 3[W] damage, along with an additional effect (admittidly Flanking Assault can only be used while flanking, but also does half damage on a miss). Brute Strike (from core) on the other hand, just does 3[W] damage. That's it.

Was there some errata for Brute Strike that I don't know about (I checked the Errata PDF and its not in there), or am I just missing something here.

Dublock
2008-12-29, 09:21 AM
ok, I don't have my books in front of my (vacation) but are there other differences like how to hit? (str vs ac etc)

Starsinger
2008-12-29, 09:42 AM
Brute Strike and Lasting Threat are reliable, meaning they don't get lost on a miss. Unfortunately Lasting Threat is then better, I think as a means to replace it.

skywalker
2008-12-29, 05:44 PM
I recently bought Martial Power, and while on the whole I am fairly impressed with it, I'm little confused about how the level 1 fighter daily powers balance with those from the players handbook. Harriers Ploy, Lasting Threat and Flanking Assault (from MP) all let you do 3[W] damage, along with an additional effect (admittidly Flanking Assault can only be used while flanking, but also does half damage on a miss). Brute Strike (from core) on the other hand, just does 3[W] damage. That's it.

Was there some errata for Brute Strike that I don't know about (I checked the Errata PDF and its not in there), or am I just missing something here.

We had an argument about this when Martial Power first came out.

The conclusion was, Lasting Threat basically kicks Brute Strike's hind end, except if you're the rare fighter who doesn't want to perma-mark an enemy. This can be useful if you're the second defender of the party, and the other defender is more geared towards tanking. For instance, you're the battlerager/great weapon fighter, and the other defender is a sword-and-board Paladin wearing plate and a heavy shield. Since Lasting Threat's mark is forever, you could actually get yourself killed since the Paladin can't take the heat off of you.