PDA

View Full Version : What are some games that should have been played more, but werent? A.K.A Sleeper Hits

late for dinner
2008-12-29, 10:41 AM
Forgive me if this had a huge following, but Enemy Territories: Quake Wars is a lot of fun. I played it yesterday and really enjoyed it. It is a breath of fresh Air of a shooter. It has real objectives rather than just kill everyone or Capture the flag...Why did more people not play this? Now I played it on the 360 and I am assuming that it was also on the pc...maybe it has more of a following there...what are some other "Good games" that are never played?

Inhuman Bot
2008-12-29, 12:41 PM
Okami.

Beyond good and Evil.

'nuff said, allready.

MeklorIlavator
2008-12-29, 12:41 PM
Beyond Good and Evil didn't get alot of press, but it was really good. Even more amazing, there's a sequel in the works despite the disappointing sales.

Volug
2008-12-29, 01:02 PM
Okami, of course =\

Lack of advertising...

Although it did just get Greatest hits for the PS2, like a month ago, so word is getting out about it.

Beyond good and evil is obvious, of course, though I only played it at a friends house once and never spared it another thought after I was done, it just didn't click for me.

Joran
2008-12-29, 01:06 PM
Psychonauts was also a game that didn't do well, but was supposed to be a great game.

Game released at the end of a console life-cycle tend to be overlooked :(

Sneak
2008-12-29, 01:12 PM
Time to hoist up my ole Giants: Citizen Kabuto flag again!

Yes, I really do love that game. Can't you tell?

arguskos
2008-12-29, 01:21 PM
Time to hoist up my ole Giants: Citizen Kabuto flag again!

Yes, I really do love that game. Can't you tell?
It's a great game, that's why! Love the Peashooter... :smallbiggrin:

Maxymiuk
2008-12-29, 01:31 PM
Ground Control. Praised after it launched, but then dropped off the map, until the sequel came along and ruined the series.

And from the tomb of the really obscure, Vangers: One For The Road. One of the most immersive games of its time and, ultimately, with the most depressing storyline that I've ever experienced in a video game.

Artanis
2008-12-29, 01:38 PM
Both System Shock games.

Massive Assault is one of the best TBS games I've ever played, but nobody seems to have ever heard of it.

Oregano
2008-12-29, 02:06 PM
The obvious ones have already said but what about Nippon Ichi games?

I feel this might happen with The Last Remnant because the reviews will most likely put people off.

Cespenar
2008-12-29, 03:01 PM
Silver. I doubt anyone had even heard of it, never mind playing.

Netstorm was pretty inconspicuous too, now that I remember.

Blood & Magic was a fun game at its time as well, though all these three were old games, which makes them doubly forgotten in any terms.

Talking about more recent games (sort of), I second Psychonauts.

Drascin
2008-12-29, 03:31 PM

If you mean Silver as in the RPG for the PC... you would be wrong, then :smalltongue:.

I would like to add Mischief Makers to the already mentioned candidates. Really awesome platformer, that nevertheless only got a small cult following.

late for dinner
2008-12-29, 03:43 PM
Giants is hilarious that is for sure....

Have any of you played Rygar on the Ps2...that game was awesome.

oh and Kingdom Under Fire was great! Cant wait for the next one

Phantom Dust anyone? It was like a collectible card game/3rd person shooter...so unique with destructable enviornments and gameplay was fun

Freedom Fighters was good too.

Dogmantra
2008-12-29, 03:44 PM

Ah man, I loved that game! I had it on the Dreamcast... it had the voice of Horny from Dungeon Keeper as Fuge. That's all I remember...

Xenogears
2008-12-31, 04:07 PM
Not sure if it should count as everyone online seems to have played it but since I've never met a person in real life that has played it then I'm gonna hafta say Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars.

Psi-Ops was awesome as well but seemed to drop off the edge of the Earth shortly after release (despite the fact that the ending is a cliffhanger...).

Red Faction seemed to get greatly overshadowed by the subsequent release of Halo although I thought Red Faction (and especially #2) were better than Halo.

Also never met anyone who had played Xenogears (one of the best games ever!). Maybe where I live just sucks though....

Illiterate Scribe
2008-12-31, 04:11 PM
Dwarf Fortress. Yes, I know it has an impenetrable interface, and already a sizable userbase, but more people should play it.

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-31, 04:24 PM
What about Earthbound? Excellent game that just never seemed to get the attention it deserved.

...not to mention Nintendo refusing to release the GBA port in the U.S. because of "poor sales" :smallfrown:

Oregano
2008-12-31, 04:27 PM
I count Fire Emblem as well(it's now got at least 4 games released in Europe) and only a few people I know have heard of it, nevermind play it. I couldn't even find a copy of the new one(well the remake) in Gamestation or HMV!:smallannoyed:

Ebonsword
2008-12-31, 11:14 PM
My vote goes to the Shutokou Battle/Tokyo Xtreme Racer/Import Tuner Challenge series of games.

Incorporating elements of fighting games (such as life bars) into a racing game was utter brilliance. And I would much rather spend 60 seconds racing against a foe, lose, and try again then (like in most other racing games) spend 20 minutes racing against a foe, lose, and try again.

Oh, and all of the different gangs and their various symbols and names are great, too.

You know you're in trouble and the final boss shows up, his symbol is a skull with "666" written under it, and his car has lightning shooting off of it.

Keris
2008-12-31, 11:45 PM
Beyond Good and Evil didn't get alot of press, but it was really good. Even more amazing, there's a sequel in the works despite the disappointing sales.

They're making a sequel?! Must have!
*goes to play BG&E*
Ah, fond memories.

factotum
2009-01-01, 03:25 AM
Games that are great but not enough people play them?

Planescape: Torment
Arx Fatalis
Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Any game in the X series (X: Beyond the Frontier, X-Tension, X2: The Threat, X3: Reunion and X3: Terran Conflict)

I've also heard that Psychonauts was supposed to be good but have never personally played it.

Brewdude
2009-01-01, 03:26 AM
Grim Fandango.

It never did quite get over its buggy entrance. These days, with all the bugs worked out...pure awesomeness.

Dhavaer
2009-01-01, 03:32 AM
Total Annihilation?

Gorgondantess
2009-01-01, 03:48 AM
Have any of you played Rygar on the Ps2...that game was awesome.

YES that game was... I'd completely forgotten about that game. Me old PS2 had a critical existence failure a few days after I got to the final boss in that one... never beat it. Damn good game.

Anyhow, psychonauts is the greatest game noone has ever played. Really. Other than that, Jade Empire tops my list... oh, and nethack (or any other roguelike.)

Fri
2009-01-01, 04:51 AM
My personal favourite underdog games are

Divine Divinity. A surprisingly great RPG from a Polish developer. Think of it as a cross of diablo and baldurs gate.

Psychonaut. Best platform game ever. Yes, even compared to that. And yes, even compared to that. Funny, smart, charming, colourful, long playtime, massive play area, lot of secret and powers. Everything I want from a platform game.

It's really charming and smart. Yes, I already said that, but it's that good that it had to be said twice.

edit:

Now I remember that I really need to play Beyond good and evil to compare it with psychonaut. Both seems to be really good games.

Holammer
2009-01-01, 05:01 AM
Armed and Dangerous gets my vote for under appreciated title any day. The voice acting is legendary.

toasty
2009-01-01, 05:13 AM

I loved that game so much man! It was epic. Best hack n slash I've played ever.

Job
2009-01-01, 05:35 AM
Okami, It does get a little more ‘platform-y’ then I’m comfortable with, but the story and art direction more then make up for the difference.

Rocket Knight Adventure, for fans of the 16 bit days.

Poison_Fish
2009-01-01, 05:49 AM
I'd say Master of Orion II or TA for the strategy games.

I still look at marathon with Nostalgia goggles.

On that note of Bungie games; The Myth series(Specifically 1 and 2, 3 was meh and not actually finished by Bungie) and Oni, which could have been an extremely awesome multiplayer game, if it wasn't for the demand from Microsoft to release Halo as an Xbox exclusive, nearly scrapping their other projects or sending them off to developers who had no idea what they were working with. Resulting in half finished games.

I still rage about it to this day.

I'd also say fallout 1 and 2, which, despite the popularity of fallout 3, were far more cult classic games.

Cubey
2009-01-01, 07:37 AM
Blood & Magic was a fun game at its time as well, though all these three were old games, which makes them doubly forgotten in any terms.

I played that when it was new!
It's pretty cool. Very unique mechanics for an RTS. Graphics were ugly even when it was released but it allows strategic options with positioning, chokepoints, setting up units on difficult terrain for defense bonuses, etc. Also, each unit had its strengths and weaknesses, and even a tier 1 creature could defeat a stronger one in a duel if the conditions were good for it. Nothing special by today's standards, but pretty revolutionary when the game was created.

But setting the game in Forgotten Realms was a mistake, because it shares so little with it. It even takes place on a never-released-before continent, so it's officially detached from the rest of the world!

Om
2009-01-01, 09:28 AM
I'd say Master of Orion II or TA for the strategy gamesI don't mean to nitpick (well I suppose I do really) but both those games were pretty popular in their day. That its rare to hear anyone play them today is more to do with their age (being over a decade old) than anything else. Even then they were highly influential and tend to crop up in any discussion on 4X and RTS genres respectively

Cespenar
2009-01-01, 02:28 PM
But setting the game in Forgotten Realms was a mistake, because it shares so little with it. It even takes place on a never-released-before continent, so it's officially detached from the rest of the world!

Yeah, the only Realms-related stuff were the names of the gods, I guess.

Triaxx
2009-01-01, 04:40 PM
TA's biggest problem was that it got over shadowed by the Blizzlords inferior Starturd, released a year later.

X-Com Interceptor. A spaceflight game, that is, dare I say it, even more fun than the entire Wing Commander Series. Plus it had the same great base management of the first two games.

Otogi
2009-01-01, 05:37 PM
I say Otogi, both Myth of Demons and Immortal Warriors (thats 1 and 2, for those without access to search engine). It was a simple beat 'em up game with a few RPG elements and one level that had you throwing your ear drums at your television set over the words "NONE SHALL NOT PASS" repeated a thousand times, but the game was by far the most beautifully looking and sounding games I have ever laid my eyes on, and a game where destroying everything in sight and getting grading on as something good and as a side bonus fills me with happy. The fact that it was based on a japanese myth and felt like I was actually going through one is also a strong point, hit home with the appropriately stoic dialog.

The squeal was brighter and more varried, even though the characters were far different than what they were actually based on. But that's good! In the myth, it was 5 ordinary, similar looking samurai and a priest with beard named Abe. In the game you have the choice to play a huge, intimidating axemen, a man transformed into a wolf demon with two katanas that became into a double-bladed swords, a hauntingly beautiful young maiden with a scythe, a holy sorcerer who fused himself with a tree, hurtling a giant wheel, a priestess trying to protect the capital and a ghostly warrior from the last game brought back through a gruesome yet incredible ritual.

The level design was incredible in that it was huge and fantastic, yet it wasn't distracting and quite, making the game seem epic yet subtle in something that I've yet to see anywhere else beside Planescape: Torment.

And yet, with all these grand features and easy playability, it scored the lowest sales for the xbox and was one of the least popular games of the system. This was probably because the xbox is more of a fratboy system and would have sold better for the PS2, leaving very few copies of this game and only a small percentage of the gaming community had actually heard of this fantastic game.

Okay, maybe I'm just a fanboy (if you couldn't tell from my name and avatar), but the whole reason for me liking this game so much was not for spiky haired characters or the shallow story the japanese games seem to have, but that it was a piece of art in video gaming. It was beautiful, soothing and captured the feel of time and area that is often forgotten in many games. If you don't believe me, check out Too Human for what happens when you go to far from what you're basing off of.

toasty
2009-01-02, 08:25 AM
TA's biggest problem was that it got over shadowed by the Blizzlords inferior Starturd, released a year later.

Starcraft isn't bad, I think the truth is that Cavedog made one really good game (TA) and Blizzard has, to date, made a bunch of good games (all of their PC games?). Blizzard is still active and still supports Starcraft... because of Copyright issues Supreme Commander couldn't even be named TA II... which is basically is (the "spiritual" sequel lol).

I think TA was perhaps more fun, with the huge, never ending battles and wave after wave of tanks trying to overrun extremely well defended bases, plus the fact that I felt it did Air, Land, and Sea battles all very good. However, starcraft seems to be more of a game that has appealed to tourenment gamers. I can't really say since I don't play any games at more than a somewhat serious level, but starcraft, being now over 10 years old still has a HUGE fanbase. EVERYONE in South Korea plays the game... no joke (okay, not everyone, but all men. :D). If I was going to play a multiplayer RTS seriously, it would be starcraft, simply because it is such a good game.

I loved TA. I have many found memories of that game... and would love to play it again and again, but sadly, Cavedog is no more and no one plays it anymore. Its live.

bobothegoat
2009-01-03, 03:03 AM
Myth and Myth 2 are the two games I'm consistently disappointed to find people haven't played. Actually just found the discs for them awhile back and they've aged fairly well too, though the camera controls and positioning your troops are harder than I remember. I don't think that right clicking and left clicking doing the same thing (yay for being designed for a Mac?) helped much. It does still strike me as ahead of its time in some regards though (like the physics engine and debris/scorch marks), though disappointingly, I don't think there has ever been a decent spiritual successor even to Myth 2, since Myth 3 was kind of bad.

Kris Strife
2009-01-03, 10:02 AM
I'd like to second the Nippon Ichi games, though I prefer the grid system in my tbsrpgs. Its just neater and cleaner, so the Disgaea series (Penguins that explode when throw dood) and Soul Nomad and the World Eaters deserve much love.

Airk
2009-01-05, 03:33 PM
Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. Sortof the opposite of Starcraft and Total Annihilation - reduced micromanagement, company/squad based mechanics, innovative resource system. Really put the Strategy into Real Time Strategy.

Also, Sacrifice.

Sir Tareg
2009-01-05, 06:16 PM
Earthbound.
Definitely Earthbound.
A thousand times Earthbound.

BizzaroStormy
2009-01-05, 08:46 PM
The Bloody Roar series and Godhand (which I have an unopened copy lying around due to an x-mas screw up)

Saithis Bladewing
2009-01-05, 09:39 PM
Kohan: Ahriman's Gift. Sortof the opposite of Starcraft and Total Annihilation - reduced micromanagement, company/squad based mechanics, innovative resource system. Really put the Strategy into Real Time Strategy.

QFT! POST LENGTHENER!!!

Rockphed
2009-01-05, 09:57 PM
Myth and Myth 2 are the two games I'm consistently disappointed to find people haven't played. Actually just found the discs for them awhile back and they've aged fairly well too, though the camera controls and positioning your troops are harder than I remember. I don't think that right clicking and left clicking doing the same thing (yay for being designed for a Mac?) helped much. It does still strike me as ahead of its time in some regards though (like the physics engine and debris/scorch marks), though disappointingly, I don't think there has ever been a decent spiritual successor even to Myth 2, since Myth 3 was kind of bad.

Hey! I have played Myth 2. Well, assuming that is the game with all the zombies, flying skeletons, pyro dwarves, and animate armors with a raven swarm for a villain. It was pretty good, though it sometimes felt forced. I need to go find myself a copy.

Kane
2009-01-05, 10:32 PM
Well, I always like the Heroes of Might and Magic series, and Black & White, though I'm not sure how popular they actually were. I just didn't ever hear that much about them, but never regretted a moment of their purchase

Same goes for my primary entry; Rise of Legends. Creative looks, beautifully designed units, (I'm mainly remembering the Vinche here) and, primarily, it implemented a lot of features that I've found here or there on other RTSs, but never so many in one game. (Formation move, will tell you how much time you have left on cool downs, ability to place buildings in different directions, Influence, trade, different ways to mine your different resources, etc.)

Fri
2009-01-05, 11:33 PM
Earthbound.
Definitely Earthbound.
A thousand times Earthbound.

Usually I'll say Earthbound, but lately I figured out that apparently that game is really popular on the net.

edcalaban
2009-01-05, 11:53 PM
Psi-Ops was awesome as well but seemed to drop off the edge of the Earth shortly after release (despite the fact that the ending is a cliffhanger...)

Something about a lawsuit over whether the idea was originally someone else's script is what I've heard. Was a good game though.

Outpost 2: Divided Destiny - A suprisingly good story and interesting game. Update it and it would be a lot of fun.

Ground Control - The first one, as someone else has mentioned. The second had its points but the first was far better.

13_CBS
2009-01-05, 11:57 PM
Tribes 2, especially the mod Meltdown 2. The death messages alone could keep you entertained for hours.

It was a 1st person shooter game where everyone had jetpacks and jetpack management was a major skill. And it was fun as hell.

Volug
2009-01-06, 12:08 AM
Why didn't I see this thread...?

*Inhales slowly*

Okami

*Exhales and walks away*

toasty
2009-01-06, 12:14 AM
Outpost 2: Divided Destiny - A suprisingly good story and interesting game. Update it and it would be a lot of fun.

My mom still plays that game with a mod that allows it to be played for XP/Vista.

She loves it.

edcalaban
2009-01-06, 12:16 AM
My mom still plays that game with a mod that allows it to be played for XP/Vista.

She loves it.

There's a mod to run it on the new SPs for XP? I tried to install it again recently but it failed. Please point me in the right direction!

Myatar_Panwar
2009-01-06, 12:33 AM

You did see this thread. You were like, the third person to post. :smalltongue:

Um, this is a fairly new title, but because I've become sort of a freak with this game as of late, I will say Mount and Blade. Not many people are playing/ have played it, and it disappoints me a little. Its strange too, because almost every single reaction from friends/other forums goers is positive after the demo.

Maybe it will gain more players as time goes on, but it's sudo-low scores seem to keep possibly new players away. I find the players scores to be far more accurate. The game just isn't about the core game itself, but the mods available and the things you can do to enhance the already solid experience. Its hard for a reviewer to give a game like this a good score I think, but very easy for the gamer to give it a good score.

Unfortunately, I doubt it has sold as well as the developer would have wanted, and I don't see a sequal in the future.

Nevertheless, this game definitely is near the top (if not there) for my personal game of 2008.

Ozymandias
2009-01-06, 12:34 AM

*Inhales slowly*

Okami

*Exhales and walks away*

Er, you did see this thread. You had a post on the front page.

That said, I am relatively sure it is physically impossible to recommend Ōkami enough, so it's all good.

The Evil Thing
2009-01-06, 05:47 AM
Grim Fandango
Beyond Good and Evil
Startopia
Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Hostile Waters
Project Nomads
Sacrifice
Evil Genius
Planescape Torment

Z-dan
2009-01-06, 07:28 AM
Okami, for reasons listed above
Frequency, and Amplitude- the predecessors to Guitar Hero
Vib Ribbon- simply for the quirky nature and sheer simplicity- and being able to play any cd
the Discworld games- very few Discworld fans are aware they actually made 3 games out of it, and they're all brilliant- easily on a par with monkey island
any JRPG
Fire Emblem- I hadn't heard of it until Smash Bros, very good games

that's all I can think of for now... though now I'm thinking of Spore- when I first heard about it I was thinking 'this is going to be the most awesome game ever' and noone knew anything about it- a year or so later, its starting to get hyped, then it comes out and its been kiddified. So much potential...

EDIT: Startopia. didnt cross my mind till I saw the previous post... for shame :smallfrown: I'll make it up by playing it when I'm finished on here

sun_tzu
2009-01-06, 07:36 AM
The Tex Murphy games.
A 1940-style noir detective saving the world of post-nuclear war 2040. Great style, characters and plot. It practically felt like a movie at times.

endoperez
2009-01-06, 08:55 AM
I loved TA. I have many found memories of that game... and would love to play it again and again, but sadly, Cavedog is no more and no one plays it anymore.

Have you checked out the opensource remake, TA Spring (http://spring.clan-sy.com/)? It's my first real glimpse at what Total Annihilation was like, and it's awesome.

Like the time I did a battleship from my level 2 dock, and it was HUGE and alone destroyed the entire enemy harbour from the lake (small map with a lake in center), and had like 200 000 hitpoints. And then I went to see if I could build another one, and saw that I could build a Flagship, which is even bigger. :smallbiggrin:

That's about when the AI swarmed over my minefield and killed me. I'm not sure if that's good AI or bad me, though.

Driderman
2009-01-06, 01:05 PM
The Tex Murphy games.
A 1940-style noir detective saving the world of post-nuclear war 2040. Great style, characters and plot. It practically felt like a movie at times.

Oh yeah, I remember playing one of those, "Under A Blood Red Moon" I think it was called, when I was just a big kid. That was months of entertainment!
Been trying to find the game ever since (well, from time to time), but no luck so far.

Izmir Stinger
2009-01-06, 05:27 PM
Massive Assault is one of the best TBS games I've ever played, but nobody seems to have ever heard of it.

I have! Great game! I lost the box with the CD key on it a long time ago, so I will have to buy it again to play it. :(

Oslecamo
2009-01-06, 05:45 PM
That's about when the AI swarmed over my minefield and killed me. I'm not sure if that's good AI or bad me, though.

A little of both. Swarming over the enemy defenses is a crude but sometimes right tactic. And you should be expecting it by keeping to build more and bigger towers, untill said towers are shooting straight into the enemy base, or mass up bombers, or get out T3 kBots, or mass your own tanks, or...

In TA spring you must ALWAYS be expanding your economy, army and defenses. You don't stop untill your oponent's last building is found and destroyed.

And that's why I love that game, altough it's hard to find time to play it nowadays.

HyperInferno
2009-01-06, 06:30 PM
For US folks:

Monster hunter

Atomsized
2009-01-06, 07:47 PM
What? Nobody has played Riviera: The Promised Land (Riiiiight. Sleeper hit)

I believe it was a sleeper hit, I've never seen many copies in stores due to one, the gameplay turn based, but the battling system was unique on it's own, and two, that Sting games never make a lot of copies of a game. For me, I liked it because it was different. For example, in battle, you can only take four items to use with your 3 characters you could choose from. Out of the map, or shall i say overworld (or world map? I dunno, i forgot the term) play, instead of "walking" around, it's more "You can go here, here, or there, and oh, there is something mysterious this way and a probably a treasure thataway." Basically, the game gives you options on what to do, which may sound like it completely ruins the point of exploration and puzzle solving but the game itself does have it's own fair share of puzzles and mysteries. I also enjoyed the story a bit, the little there was, because it really just focused on the main characters, but I always thought that the game wasn't really built to emphasize that very much.

The game's difference itself makes it a jewel to some, a dull rock to others. Also, if you like grinding, then this is a game to look into.

Volug
2009-01-06, 08:44 PM

*looks at time posted*

I posted that at about midnight... No wonder why I don't remember >.>

jazz1m
2009-01-06, 09:32 PM
Sleeper hits that I can think of

1. Space Rangers 2: Awesome awesome awesome game. Well okay, maybe not warranting repeating awesome three times, but you get the drift. Easy to figure out, you go from planet to planet stocking up on materials, solving problems, making (or breaking alliances). Space fights, missions that cover all sorts of video game modes (arcade mode like galaga, text based mission mode, ground-based RTS mode, and more). A bit too open-ended, but totally worth it.

2. Serious Sam (Xbox version): Bruce Campbell look alike main hero who wields big guns and kills hordes of monsters. Great one liners and humor. Kamikaze enemies are my favorite - you can hear them coming.

3. Viewtiful Joe: Henshin no go go baby! Great use of cell shading and awesome side scrolling gameplay make this one of the better Gamecube titles to date. Easy to pick up and decent mastery skill.

4. Nobunaga's Ambition: Old game, but still awesome. One of the firsts in its genre, I think (don't quote me on that). Play in ancient Japan as a daimyo and take over neighboring lands, marry, use ninjas to sabotage enemies and fight turn-based battles on the field. A lot of luck is involved, but you also have to be smart about how you spend your money and resources. For NES but you can probably get a rom of it. It can eat up hours of your time.

sun_tzu
2009-01-07, 05:15 AM
Oh yeah, I remember playing one of those, "Under A Blood Red Moon" I think it was called, when I was just a big kid. That was months of entertainment!
Been trying to find the game ever since (well, from time to time), but no luck so far.

That's "Under a Killing Moon", actually. I haven't actually played that one, but I loved "The Pandora Directive" and "Overseer".

Maxymiuk
2009-01-08, 10:24 AM
I somehow completely forgot to mention a game I've spent 6 years hunting down in various second-hand game shops (contrary to popular belief, not everyone had easy access to internet and/or means to shop online): Starlancer.

It may have had graphics that were a tad archaic even for its release date, and it was punishingly hard even on "Normal", but what it got so very right was gameplay, pacing, and atmosphere - almost every single mission was a desperate, non-stop, adrenaline-fueled shootout while racing to meet mission objectives. Dodging turret fire from - for once - adequately armed capital ships while attempting to take down its shield generator, chasing down torpedoes heading for your own ships, fighting off a dozen enemy fighters, objectives suddenly changing without prior warning... often all of those things at once.

But what people mostly remember about it is that Freelancer is the game's spiritual sequel.

Mx.Silver
2009-01-08, 11:07 AM
First and foremost, the Escape Velocity series. The third game, Nova, is an insanely addictive game with a dedicated and talanted modding community behind it. I have hardly met anyone (online of off) who's even heard of it, let alone played it.

Shadow Hearts. A slightly quirky, highly enaging JRPG which managed to maintain an unusually dark tone while at the same time having a sense of humour about itself (something a lot of JRPGs are in desperate need of). It's direct sequel, Covenant, is quite possibly one of the best JRPGs ever created. Sadly the first game was released internationally only a few months before FFX and got completely buried under the tidal wave of hype.

As a exercise in nostalgia, Warlords 3. This was a deep, challenging and well-crafted fantasy TBS which never seems to get the recognition it deserves, being mainly eclipsed by Heroes of Might and Magic.

the Discworld games- very few Discworld fans are aware they actually made 3 games out of it, and they're all brilliant- easily on a par with monkey island

The third was great anyway, I'm not so enthusiastic about the first two though.

Airk
2009-01-08, 12:26 PM
Starlancer sounds suspiciously like Freespace 2 (Which is a noble entry into this thread!) only released a year later. ;)

Shadow Hearts: Covenant was a mighty fine game. Zany though, and not for everyone.

Maxymiuk
2009-01-08, 12:37 PM
Starlancer sounds suspiciously like Freespace 2 (Which is a noble entry into this thread!) only released a year later. ;)

Which probably explains why not that many people remember it.

But from having played both games, I can tell you that even though they're in the same genre there's a very different feel to their respective gameplay styles - Freespace gives you a lot more breathing space - you generally destroy a wing of fighters and get a 10-20 second break before the next one, or up to a full 1-2 minutes while you watch capital ships duke it out. Starlancer on the other hand can easily run you ragged - the mission triggers are arranged in such a way by the time you're done with one objective, you probably should've started dealing with the next one 15 seconds ago.

Freespace 2 is the game I play when I'm in the mood for something epic. Starlancer, I pick up when I want to get hopped up on adrenaline and swear at my computer - and unfortunately for Freespace, the latter I find more desireable. :smalltongue:

Cespenar
2009-01-08, 04:04 PM
As a exercise in nostalgia, Warlords 3. This was a deep, challenging and well-crafted fantasy TBS which never seems to get the recognition it deserves, being mainly eclipsed by Heroes of Might and Magic.

Ah, I remember Warlords 3. Spent a good amount of time on both it and its expansion pack.

Shiflett
2009-01-10, 01:09 PM
A personal favorite game of mine is Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines

I'm not sure how popular it actually is/was but it's easily one of the most memorable games i've ever played!

It's a good mixture of RP, action and horror :smallbiggrin:

Fri
2009-01-10, 05:45 PM
Ah, yes. I'm currently replaying Bloodlines, as a Hard Boiled, Trench Coated, Self Monologuing, Supernatural Detective. Surprisingly fitting.

I originally wanted to make a Let's Play from it, but I realized that both my english and my private monologuing had gotten really rusty.

But all troika games got the same problem. They just launch bug riddled game and expect the buyers to beta test it.

Knaight
2009-01-10, 06:05 PM
Lugaru, the single best fighting game in existance control wise, its incredibly fluid, it has a decent storyline, and it has free expansions, and DROD a turn based strategy game with really, really short turns, where every rotation and five foot step counts, making it almost a puzzle game. Incredibly fun, and virtually unheard of. Lugaru is currently free too, DROD has a demo of levels 1-3, but they are really easy, and not as fun as later levels, once things get challenging.

Llama231
2009-01-10, 08:56 PM
The LoZ Oracle of Seasons and Ages.
They were both very good games, with good puzzles and action for the GBC.
Seasons was more fast-paced, and Ages had good puzzles.

Woot Spitum
2009-01-10, 11:41 PM
Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. A definate must have for any fan of call of Cthulhu, Eternal Darkness messed with your mind in ways no other game will.

endoperez
2009-01-11, 06:06 AM
Lugaru, the single best fighting game in existance control wise, its incredibly fluid, it has a decent storyline, and it has free expansions...
... Lugaru is currently free too

I remember that Lugaru was awesome, but I never bought it - but it looks like the "free" thing was only for a week. :smallfrown:

That was so cruel!

For those who don't know it, it has a combat system where you have only few options: attack, counter, roll with the attack. What attack you perform, whether you can counter or when you have to press a button to take less damage from a throw all depend on where you are, how fast you are moving, where your enemy is, and what weapons you are using. It's awesome concept, and addictive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZKKSQtb4wE&feature=related

It's also ugly, but it seems like there's a much more better-looking sequel coming soon. I just preordered it, because if it's even half as awesome as they promise, it's going to be one killer of a game.

Hzurr
2009-01-12, 04:50 PM
Eternal Darkness:Sanity's Requiem for the Gamecube. A definate must have for any fan of call of Cthulhu, Eternal Darkness messed with your mind in ways no other game will.

I actually just borrowed this game from a friend, and am a few hours into it. The biggest problem is my outside "Call of Cthulhu" knowledge (vague as it is) is making in-game decisions very difficult. I mean, I know that I should never, under any circumstances, read the giant leather-bound book with teeth on the edges and the incredibly spooky cover, but my character has to read it to progress.

It makes things difficult.

Oregano
2009-01-12, 04:57 PM
I actually just borrowed this game from a friend, and am a few hours into it. The biggest problem is my outside "Call of Cthulhu" knowledge (vague as it is) is making in-game decisions very difficult. I mean, I know that I should never, under any circumstances, read the giant leather-bound book with teeth on the edges and the incredibly spooky cover, but my character has to read it to progress.

It makes things difficult.

On exactly the same lines as this is Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth. It's a different style than Eternal Darkness but is also completely awesome and hardly anyone has played it nevermind heard of it.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2009-01-15, 06:07 PM
Never fear sleeper hit lovers, I'm currently playing at least 3 games mentioned on this page alone.

Shadowhearts - Wonderful RGP. Has all the classical elements with an interesting combat system and lots of side quests.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - Just started this one, but am definately hooked. It does a great job with creepy atmosphere, so much that one night when I stopped playing in the living room, I made sure to turn on all the lights in thebedroom before sleeping.

LOZ Oracle of Ages- I got stuck and lost some interest, but I'm looking to get back into it soon. I'll move the Gameboy back into the bathroom. That will help.

Oregano
2009-01-15, 06:22 PM
Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth - Just started this one, but am definately hooked. It does a great job with creepy atmosphere, so much that one night when I stopped playing in the living room, I made sure to turn on all the lights in thebedroom before sleeping.

Aye, but did you lock your door, go into the other room, lock the other room's door, move the cupboard out of the way of the secret door, lock the other door in the other room and open the window?

and did you pick up the ammo?

Knaight
2009-01-16, 12:04 AM
I remember that Lugaru was awesome, but I never bought it - but it looks like the "free" thing was only for a week. :smallfrown:

That was so cruel! .

Just go buy it already. Sucks that you missed out on it being free, I bought it before it was free, which also kind of sucks, but that does mean I had it for longer. You might be able to get the free temple and empire fan expansions(temple is better than the real campaign, empire is right up until the level which starts with you getting jumped by 3 wolves simultaneously, with no armor(for anybody), where they are all about 20 feet away. That level is just impossible. On the hardest difficulty level.

Adeptus
2009-01-18, 11:27 AM
My banner says it all for me.