PDA

View Full Version : Car troubles - in need of help (Crisis Averted!)

PhoeKun
2008-12-29, 11:03 AM
Hello, all. I have a bit of a problem, which is causing a fair bit of stress and panic in my life all of a sudden.

Namely, my car won't start. It's not that the engine won't turn - the key physically won't turn past the "lock" position (that being the position immediately after "off", but before "ACC" and "Start"). At 5 pm yesterday, everything worked perfectly, as it always has. Several hours later... nothing. This has never happened before, and I don't know what to do.

I've already tried the mystical "jiggle the wheel while turning the key" solution, and it's more robust "turn the wheel like crazy" cousin. There's a blister developing on my finger from the repeated efforts of trying to turn the key. It's a 1998 Toyota Camry, and it needs to start. If you can help me... please.

xPANCAKEx
2008-12-29, 11:08 AM
it may be that the key is worn - try using a spare to see if that starts it.

also try pulling the key out slightly (just a mm or 2), or jiggling the key in the slot to see if that helps

or something may be lodged in the keyslot - try using an air duster (compressed air in the can. the kind you use for cleaning your keyboard) to see if that works

is it cold? In extreme weather the lock may be frozen in place? (sounds silly i know, but just covering the bases)

otherwise, it may be a call to the mechanic to come sort it out.

Telonius
2008-12-29, 12:36 PM
Hello, all. I have a bit of a problem, which is causing a fair bit of stress and panic in my life all of a sudden.

Namely, my car won't start. It's not that the engine won't turn - the key physically won't turn past the "lock" position (that being the position immediately after "off", but before "ACC" and "Start"). At 5 pm yesterday, everything worked perfectly, as it always has. Several hours later... nothing. This has never happened before, and I don't know what to do.

I've already tried the mystical "jiggle the wheel while turning the key" solution, and it's more robust "turn the wheel like crazy" cousin. There's a blister developing on my finger from the repeated efforts of trying to turn the key. It's a 1998 Toyota Camry, and it needs to start. If you can help me... please.

... similar thing just happened to my 98 Camry. Literally yesterday, it wouldn't start anymore. The whole starter's bad, though, not just the key turning. I suspect they've gone on strike.

Shikton
2008-12-29, 01:16 PM
Hmm, from what Telonius says, this has to be a conspiracy!

But I'd vote for the whole thing being broken to be honest. You might as well just change it.

Krrth
2008-12-29, 01:20 PM
I've had something similar happen to me in the past, and fortunately the solution (for me) was easy. Try turning the position of the steering wheel and then starting. For some reason, sometimes a car locks if the wheel is off a little bit.

Raewyn
2008-12-29, 02:50 PM
If I recall my skimming of BF's Owner's Manual when he had this problem, this is actually some sort of theft prevention feature. I think turning the wheel ought to fix it, but I'll double check with him and post again.

I hope your car is okay. *hugs*

EDIT: Here's the reply I got.

In my case, I had to turn the key in the ignition to unlock the steering wheel, straighten out the wheels, and then start the car.

So if it's just an issue with the wheels, that should fix it. If not, you may need to have the car checked out.

Alleine
2008-12-29, 03:08 PM
If I recall my skimming of BF's Owner's Manual when he had this problem, this is actually some sort of theft prevention feature. I think turning the wheel ought to fix it, but I'll double check with him and post again.

My corolla had a similar problem. If this is the issue, then just turning the wheel back or not messing with it for a few minutes should do the trick.

Supagoof
2008-12-29, 03:23 PM
Okay - here's what is going on.

Cars built from 1980s going forward have in place of them an anti-theft device which locks the steering wheel into place when the key is removed. The system work when the key is turned back to the off position, a lever moves behind and fits into a grove that holds the steering wheel in place. Since the key gets taken out without pressure on the lever, it usually can go back in without the pressure being on the lever and turn.

Occassionally, the grove pushes on the lever, and the wheel needs to be turned slightly to remove the pressure.

Most of the time, wiggling the wheel loosens up the pressure the grove is placing on the lever. If this is still not working, you may have to put pressure on turning the wheel while at the same time turning the key, which holds the grove off the lever so the key can turn remoiving it completely from being stuck in the first place.

There is no car that has the wheel position tied to being able to turn the key. It's the position of the steering wheel that leads to this assumption. The grooves are all around the steering wheel, and since most cars park with the wheels forward, the grove that lines up with the wheels forward is often bigger since it's used more often.

If you can't turn the key while doing this, then it's probably not due to the lever being stuck, but maybe due the key not working with the lock anymore. Trying a spare is a good idea, as keys wear down over time.

Also, if you are fighting against cold temps, metal expands. It could be that the pins in the lock a frozen into place. They sell at most gas-stations & auto stores an anti-freeze spray that will melt any moisture in the lock and free up the pins. Another trick is to heat up the key (with a lighter or match) and insert it into the lock while still hot, thus letting the heat free up the pins.

Aside from that, you will probably have to call a tow-truck/mechanic to look at it closer, as anything further would involve replacing the lock and removing the steering column.

PhoeKun
2008-12-29, 03:51 PM
Thank you very much to everyone who offered advice.

I tried heating up the key, which initially didn't work, but after I locked up the wheel into that whole anti-theft thingamajig, pulling on the wheel a little more and turning the key to release that suddenly (and surprisingly) caused the whole thing to turn over, starting the engine.

So, from the looks of things, it was a combination of factors, which explains why trying the individual solutions wasn't helping. But in any case, I've pulled the key out, put it back in, turned it, and started the engine several times, so if this was a strike or a conspiracy, it's over now.

Thanks, all! *sighs with relief*

Supagoof
2008-12-29, 04:04 PM
Thank you very much to everyone who offered advice.

I tried heating up the key, which initially didn't work, but after I locked up the wheel into that whole anti-theft thingamajig, pulling on the wheel a little more and turning the key to release that suddenly (and surprisingly) caused the whole thing to turn over, starting the engine.

So, from the looks of things, it was a combination of factors, which explains why trying the individual solutions wasn't helping. But in any case, I've pulled the key out, put it back in, turned it, and started the engine several times, so if this was a strike or a conspiracy, it's over now.

Thanks, all! *sighs with relief*
YAY!

Anytime PhoeKun, Anytime.

Telonius
2008-12-29, 04:53 PM
So I'm out a couple hundred bucks on my own car repairs, and I don't even have a faceless conspiracy to blame for it? :smallfrown:

PhoeKun
2008-12-29, 04:59 PM
So I'm out a couple hundred bucks on my own car repairs, and I don't even have a faceless conspiracy to blame for it? :smallfrown:

Oh... uh... I mean, maybe I was spared the conspirator's wrath? Yes, this must have just been to throw me off the trail. That's it...

Sorry. <.<

PhantomFox
2008-12-29, 05:40 PM
Aww... you didn't call Car Talk? I'm sure Tom and Ray would have helped you... if it was Saturday at least.