PDA

View Full Version : Help with the Hellhound

graymachine
2008-12-29, 01:08 PM
Could someone tell me the modifications for the Multi-headed template and the Titanic template? I'm planning on an epic challenge with the party fighting Cerberus, so the plan is to apply those templates to a Dire Wolf. Unfortunately, my books are out of town until after the encounter. Furthermore, I'm not sure if these templates are satisfactory for the needed CR since I can't recall many details off the top of my head; the CR should be about 25-29. Should I throw Monster of Legend in the mix, or some other template?

Prometheus
2008-12-29, 03:25 PM
There is a specific thread for this (Request a homebrew), but I feel nice so I've gone ahead and made it. There is some differences resulting in the order in which the templates are applied, because Titantic increases the HD to 25, wheras multi-headed adds to the HD and also Titantic advances a poison ability. Below I did "of Legend", "Titantic", than "Multiheaded":
Cerebrus, Multiheaded Titantic Wolf of Legend
Gargantuan Animal
HD 29d8+336 (466 HP)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Init: +7
AC 38 (-4 size, +3 dex +29 natural); touch 9; flat-footed 35
BAB +21; Grp +57
Attack Standard attack +42 (4d8+30 & poison)
Full-Attack Full attack + 42/+42/+40/+40/+37/+32/+27 (4d8+20 & poison)
Space 20 ft x 40 ft
Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks Trip,Trample, poison
Special Qualities Scent, Darkvision 90ft, DR 3/-, haste
Saves Fort +35 Ref +20 Will +19
Abilities Str 50, Dex 17, Con 43, Int 4, Wis 14, Cha 10
Skills Spot +14, Listen +14, Survival +18, Search +0 (allocated 8/8/16/0)
Feats Great Fortitude (B), Multiattack (B), Track (B), Weapon Focus (bite) (B), Power Attack, Improved Natural Attack, Snatch, Improved Initiative, Combat Reflexes, Dire Charge, Great Strength, DR (epic), Improved Bull Rush, Shock Trooper
Challenge Rating 18 (by RAW, probably not actual)

Trip: Free trip attempt (+36) with successful bite attack
Snatch: Free grapple attempt (+57) with successful bite attack against a large opponent, squeezing each round for automatic bite damage.
Trample: 3d8+30 damage to Huge or Small opponents who chose between an attack of opportunity at -4 penalty of a DC 44 Reflex save for half damage.
Charge: Ordinary +2 attack -2 AC, full Attack on a charge, if you power attack for more than -5 than you can assign any amount of your penalty to AC instead of attack.
Bull Rush: +61, does not provoke attack of opportunity, may also push an opponent left or right for each square you push forward, and you may make a free trip attempt (+57) against each of two opponents that you push into each other
Poison Fort DC 40 or 2d6 initial and secondary Str damage

Half-fiend would add: outsider type (same HD); fly 50 ft. (average); two +40 (3d6+10) claw attacks; +1 natural armor; immunity to poison; resistance to acid, cold, electricity & fire 10; DR 10/magic; SR 24; Destruction, Summon Monster IX, Horrid Wilting, & Blasphemy once/day at caster level 29th (DC 11+spell level), Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +4, Cha +2, skill points as an outsider (256 rather than 32), and CR +3
Again, the CR would have to be recalculated anyway since these things tend to go weird at epic levels and the application of many templates. Personally I have little experience with epic-level play. In addition, I allocated feats and skills in a vaguely optimized way and you can reallocate them if you say, wanted a Cerebus focused on something different. Also, I am unsure whether I go the handedness of the bite attack right - wolves naturally have a single, 1.5 Str bonus bite, but offhand attacks are usually 0.5 Str with a main attack of 1.0 Str bonus.

graymachine
2008-12-29, 06:08 PM
Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that homebrew was for generating rules or altering rules in a variety of ways. Since I was attempting to construct something under the rules as they are. Thanks again.

Prometheus
2008-12-30, 01:48 AM
Thanks for the help. I was under the impression that homebrew was for generating rules or altering rules in a variety of ways. Since I was attempting to construct something under the rules as they are. Thanks again.
I've seen it used for both. Mostly frequently, someone requests a homebrew but receives something that is RAW, but material they haven't heard of or thought of. If you said, I want Cerebus and want him to be like a multiheaded wolf except really big, they would probably give you something similar, so it's not too much of an extrapolation to just flat out ask for it. I don't think there is anything wrong with using it here.
You may still need some work on it yet. If this thread is unresponsive to other people, maybe you can take it there to be completed (or redone).