PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] cheapes way to get a vampire template

Narmoth
2008-12-29, 02:58 PM
Hi, I have this character, lvl 6 paladin, lvl 4 blackguard. What is the cheapest way to get the vampire template on him (after he get's bitten by a vampire). I'm only really interested in the drinking blood of humans/humanoids part and having the right to call him vampire. I don't really need the combat bonus stuff, as I want him to be a vampire for the fluff.

Help please?
(books available is PHB 1 and 2, DMG 1 and 2, and other books I might be able to borrow)

Greg
2008-12-29, 03:01 PM
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) might help.

Eloel
2008-12-29, 03:02 PM
Be a self-called vampire, and kill anyone who points you're not a vampire. All role-playing, the cheapest mechanical way to achieve it.

SurlySeraph
2008-12-29, 03:03 PM
I don't know of any way to get the official vampire template for reduced cost. But if you put the Half-Vampire template on him (from Libris Mortis) and take Blood Drain, that'll work. Maybe you could give him some vampire vulnerabilities (sunlight, running water, garlic, holy symbols) in exchange for taking away the level adjustment.

EDIT: Or you could just take the Vampire template class like Greg suggested. That's probably a better idea.

Telonius
2008-12-29, 03:10 PM
The absolute cheapest way to get the template is to be high level to start with, find a vampire, and voluntarily fail your saves.

Greg
2008-12-29, 03:31 PM
The absolute cheapest way to get the template is to be high level to start with, find a vampire, and voluntarily fail your saves.
That gives LA+8. I believe he meant cheapest by LA.

only1doug
2008-12-29, 04:25 PM
This (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a) might help.

that would be the best way, take 1-2 levels of the Vampire Template class. that makes you (partially) a vampire.

Flickerdart
2008-12-29, 04:36 PM
that would be the best way, take 1-2 levels of the Vampire Template class. that makes you (partially) a vampire.
I don't think you're allowed to stop turning into a vampire.

I believe the 10th level ability of the Shadow Sun Ninja gives you the ability to rise as a vampire when you die, but that costs even more than the +8 LA to get to.

TempusCCK
2008-12-29, 04:43 PM
That class is terrible, it's just asking to propagate the "I'm such a powerful vampire that I don't fear the Sun." cliche. You get all the stat bonuses, blood sucking and just about everything else before level five, but it's not until level five that you are harmed by the Sun, and it's not until level 4 that you even have aversions! It's ridiculous.

Not to say that this isn't a balanced class, since it doesn't give BAB or Saves or hit points, but it doesn't take away CON nearly as much as it should for what it gives back, all in all, you're losing Hitpoints, BAB, and Saves. On top of that, you get the gaseous form, slam attack, and resistences before you get any drawbacks! BLEH!

Flickerdart
2008-12-29, 04:55 PM
That class is terrible, it's just asking to propagate the "I'm such a powerful vampire that I don't fear the Sun." cliche. You get all the stat bonuses, blood sucking and just about everything else before level five, but it's not until level five that you are harmed by the Sun, and it's not until level 4 that you even have aversions! It's ridiculous.

Not to say that this isn't a balanced class, since it doesn't give BAB or Saves or hit points, but it doesn't take away CON nearly as much as it should for what it gives back, all in all, you're losing Hitpoints, BAB, and Saves. On top of that, you get the gaseous form, slam attack, and resistences before you get any drawbacks! BLEH!
That isn't a class per se. You can't just start taking it, and you can't stop once you do. Besides, all the stuff you get before the aversions? It sucks. It's considerably weaker than what a full vampire gets. Seeing as how you're missing out on 8 hit dice worth of HP, saves and BAB, it still isn't worth it to be a vampire. Even at level 20, when you have the max HD you can have (12) that's only 144 HP max. Even the d6ers are going to have more than you because of their CON bonus. You're almost better off taking 8 levels of Monk.

Not to mention you're only lvl 12 for the purposes of turning: any cleric who can figure out the Turn Undead rules can dust you.

The Demented One
2008-12-29, 05:00 PM
The revised Vampire template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58213) is only +3 LA to start with. Might be worth showing to your DM.

TempusCCK
2008-12-29, 05:38 PM
That isn't a class per se. You can't just start taking it, and you can't stop once you do. Besides, all the stuff you get before the aversions? It sucks. It's considerably weaker than what a full vampire gets. Seeing as how you're missing out on 8 hit dice worth of HP, saves and BAB, it still isn't worth it to be a vampire. Even at level 20, when you have the max HD you can have (12) that's only 144 HP max. Even the d6ers are going to have more than you because of their CON bonus. You're almost better off taking 8 levels of Monk.

Not to mention you're only lvl 12 for the purposes of turning: any cleric who can figure out the Turn Undead rules can dust you.

Note this neat little tidbit:

Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession. For example, a character who takes a level of wereboar could then take a level of fighter and a level of rogue (or any other combination of other class levels) before taking another level of wereboar. A character must still take the first level of wereboar before taking the second, just as with a normal class.

Meaning, of course, that they can take until level 3, skip aversions, and get alot more good stuff than most other classes, and then continue on with their regular class. This is cheese.

MammonAzrael
2008-12-29, 05:58 PM
Meaning, of course, that they can take until level 3, skip aversions, and get alot more good stuff than most other classes, and then continue on with their regular class. This is cheese.

Also note:

Unlike standard character classes (and the "monster classes" from Savage Species), most template classes do not increase Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base saving throw bonuses, or skill points with level. They also do not affect when a character acquires feats, since feat acquisition is based on HD, not ECL. However, some of these aspects of the character can be affected indirectly by alterations in Hit Die type, ability score changes, special attacks or qualities, bonus feats, and so on.

only1doug
2008-12-29, 06:45 PM
I don't think you're allowed to stop turning into a vampire.

I believe the 10th level ability of the Shadow Sun Ninja gives you the ability to rise as a vampire when you die, but that costs even more than the +8 LA to get to.

As Tempus pointed out

Characters are not required to complete all the levels of a given template class in uninterrupted succession.

1 level of this isn't too broken in my opinion

Pro: electricity + cold resist 5, Lesser blood drain (sucky :P), spider climb, alertness, dodge.
Con: no HD or skillpoint increase, no BAB or Save progression, -2 con, Spawn slavery

2 feats and continuous spider climb are nice, the energy resists are OK, the drain is nigh useless (pin an opponent to gain 1 temporary HP).
Con Loss is horrible, no Hitpoints so a definite Net HP loss, no skillpoints, no saves, specific Unlimited GM fiat (can be removed through plot).

Narmoth
2008-12-30, 05:14 AM
Thanx. The monster class template provided by Greg was most helpful. Now I only need to look into if, and how, it will fit the ongoing campaign.
And though it makes me a bit weaker on lvl 1, I'm playing for the fluff and can surely survive a -2 to CON.

only1doug
2008-12-30, 06:35 AM

Turn Resistance (Ex): At 8th level, a vampire gains turn resistance +4. He is treated as an undead 4 Hit Dice higher than his normal total for the purpose of turn, rebuke, command, or bolster attempts.

so L16 for the purposes of turning (at L20)