PDA

View Full Version : [4E] Divine Archer

MeanJoeSmith75
2008-12-29, 10:20 PM
I'm trying to adapt the Paladin class to allow a 4th Edition equivalent to Arcane caster, but with the divine flavor. Conceptually it works.
Just as Bard calls on his arrow in the Hobbit, the Paladin of Corellion invokes a prayer to guide his arrow and smite his foe.
However all the powers specifically call on melee weapons and I can't just change to range, as I think some would become sorely broken if allowed to go the distance a longbow could cat the arrow.
Some Thoughts:

I could impose a -5 attack penalty. This just seems a little arbitrary and really doesn't roleplay well, a prayer makes you LESS accurate? I don't think so.
I could impose a -5 Initiative penalty. This works Roleplaying wise, but I don't think its equal to the gain.
I could nerf the powers. That just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
I could come up with all new powers, but I don't have the time.

Any thoughts?

Britter
2008-12-29, 10:31 PM
How about a ranger/cleric multiclass? There are a couple divine cleric builds out there that seem to have the flavor you are looking for.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-29, 10:36 PM
The Paladin is just not your class. Its role is Defender, which means that everything about it--class features, powers, proficiencies, even skills--are geared towards defending the rest of the party. From in front. Paladins in particular focus on sticking to one enemy like bladed glue, keeping it from getting at the rest of the party--and that really won't work too well from the rear of your battle formation (or, um, it will work too well, depending on how you handle it).

Try Ranger or laser Cleric, or both.

MeanJoeSmith75
2008-12-29, 10:38 PM
I already have two rangers in the party and it desperately needs a healer of some kind.
I looked at the cleric, but the martial prowess just wasn't there for the flavor. The player really want to use a bow. Multiclassing just makes him an archer along side a cleric or paladin. I really was looking at the equivalent of the Arcane Archer from 3rd edition, with a divine flare. I even looked at combining ranger and warlock, but as I said earlier the prayer before launching an arrow gives good flavor to the action.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-29, 10:40 PM
A paladin is not only a crappy archer; it is also a crappy healer.

Reskin the Cleric's powers. If you just pretend your holy symbol is a bow, no one will ever notice. Seriously.

MeanJoeSmith75
2008-12-29, 10:42 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a try.

Myatar_Panwar
2008-12-29, 10:43 PM
Truth be told, if I were the DM, I would just rule that you could use your bow as an implement for your holy spells (for cleric). So you might re-fluff the basic cleric at-will "Lance of Faith" into "Arrow of Faith", where you say a brief prayer and let loose a holy arrow.

One half of cleric is melee, while the other half is ranged. All you would need to do is re-fluff the ranged ones and your golden (hur hur). Maybe multi-class with ranger to give some non-magic arrow abilities for good measure (unless thats all you want).

Ninjas..... curse YOU!

NPCMook
2008-12-29, 10:53 PM
Why not just take the Archer, take away the Hunter's Quarry and give him an alternate version of Lay of Hands, instead of Prime Shot he gains Channel Divinity like Cleric and Paladin. Though all Strikers have that little extra damage in them, so removing his Hunter's Quarry might not be a good idea, but giving him the Lay of Hands ability with Hunter's Quarry is a bit powerful... Though I guess we could make it like the Warlock's Curse. When the Enemy is killed he can grant say 2+Dex Mod Temp Hit points to an ally or himself within 5 squares. Though I guess it could be just normal hit points back.

Powers would just pretty much have to be reflavored, maybe some of them including Radiant Damage instead of other effects that the might do.

Mando Knight
2008-12-29, 11:19 PM
Reskin the Cleric's powers. If you just pretend your holy symbol is a bow, no one will ever notice. Seriously.

Tite Kubo's way ahead of you. :smalltongue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/UryuNewBow.jpg

RTGoodman
2008-12-29, 11:27 PM
Tite Kubo's way ahead of you. :smalltongue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b9/UryuNewBow.jpg

Alternatively,

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/news_20061227.jpg

:smallbiggrin:

Anyway, seriously, I think just re-fluffing your Laser-Cleric powers if the best option. It'll give you the healing you need, plus the "divine archery" aspect is covered by powers like lance of faith, sacred flame, divine glow (as a rapid-shot kinda thing), daunting light, and cascade of light.

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-29, 11:55 PM
Anyway, seriously, I think just re-fluffing your Laser-Cleric powers if the best option. It'll give you the healing you need...

Oh yeah, that's another thing: laser Clerics are the absolute best healers in the game.