PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Help me find a spell...

Frosty
2008-12-29, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure where I can go to sift thru spells with different search criteria, so I'm asking here. I'm looking for a spell that is

*6th level or lower
*on the Bard or Wiard/Sorcerer spell list
*is a ranged spread or an emanation centered on a point in space (like a Fireball or Maw of Chaos for example)
*lasts for multiple rounds without the need for Concentration (like Resounding Thunder or Maw of Chaos)
*preferable does some damage each turn. Bonus points if it does sonic or thunder damage
*Saving throws preferably not <fort/will/ref> negates. Sae for halforno save preferred
*SR none preferred, but it'snot a huge deal

Thanks

AslanCross
2008-12-30, 01:21 AM
Thunder Field is exactly what you're looking for.
Bard 4, Wiz/Sorc 6, Druid 6.
Range is medium, area is a 20 foot spread.
Lasts 1 round/level.
Fort save or take 1d8 sonic damage + Reflex save or get knocked prone.
It's SR: Yes, though.

It's from PHB 2.

Frosty
2008-12-30, 02:25 AM
Hmm...not as good as Resounding thunder do you think?

Resounding Thunder does 4d6 per turn in a 20 ft spread. Successful Fort save halves damage and negates a Deafening effect. Only downside is 5 round flat duration.

The idea is to apply Born of 3 thunders metamagic to the spell to add both knocking prone and Stun to the spell, while using the Lyric Thaumaturgist ability to sacrifice a bardic music tomake this a spell that does 8d6 to each creature in range for 5 rounds, and has a chance to deafen, stun, and knock prone. Creatures that are stunned or knocked prone likely won't be able to get out of the field and will take further damage and roll further saving throws. I'm just trying to see if there is a better spell than Resounding Thunder.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-30, 03:22 AM
Freezing Fog from Spell Compendium is probably what you're looking for. Acid Fog from the PHB is a close second. The Solid Fog effect stops them from easily escaping the spell's area, and Freezing Fog has the added benefit of a built-in save-or-prone. A Freezing Fog modified with Energy Substitution: Electricity and Born of the Three Thunders would be something like a solid thundercloud, complete with lightning and probably freezing rain that ices every surface it touches.

Fire Spiders is a Sor/Wiz 6 from Spell Compendium, it may be a good choice since you can direct it to move each round.

I'd probably go for a single-target spell plus (Lesser Rod of) Chain Spell with Born of the Three Thunders. Thunderhead from the Spell Compendium would be great if it wasn't Reflex Negates. Also remember that the feat Snowcasting from Frostburn adds the Cold descriptor to any spell, possibly with Eschew Materials so you don't need to use snow (shenanigans!) or Summon Component from Complete Mage if no snow is on hand. After you've added the Cold descriptor you can Energy Substitute: Electricity to apply Born of the Three Thunders.

Some will argue that the stun/prone effect of Born of the Three Thunders only occurs once: "In addition, the spell concludes with a mighty thunderclap that stuns...." That could be either at the end of the spell's effect, or on completion of casting the spell, if you take it to mean that. It could also mean that any effect of the spell that deals damage concludes with a thunderclap, so the stun and prone occurs every time the spell deals damage. Be sure to find out what your DM thinks of this before you heavily invest your character into this feat. You should also take the feat Quick Recovery from Lords of Madness to remove the Dazed effect, which is also extremely useful with the Celerity line of spells from the PH2.

only1doug
2008-12-30, 06:45 AM
I'm not sure where I can go to sift thru spells with different search criteria, so I'm asking here. I'm looking for a spell that is

*6th level or lower
*on the Bard or Wiard/Sorcerer spell list
*is a ranged spread or an emanation centered on a point in space (like a Fireball or Maw of Chaos for example)
*lasts for multiple rounds without the need for Concentration (like Resounding Thunder or Maw of Chaos)
*preferable does some damage each turn. Bonus points if it does sonic or thunder damage
*Saving throws preferably not <fort/will/ref> negates. Sae for halforno save preferred
*SR none preferred, but it'snot a huge deal

Thanks

Blistering Radiance (SC 33)
*4th level
*Wizard/Sorcerer spell
*50' radius (yes radius, that's 100' diameter)
*1 rnd/lvl
*2d6 fire damage each turn, no save.
Bonus points if it does sonic or thunder damage (my friend uses elemental substitution: sonic to change it, not for 3 thunders, he just prefers to avoid common resists)
*no save vs damage, Fort save Vs blindness applies (GM has house ruled deafness when sonic substitution is in play)
*SR Yes (sorry)

Good points: 100' diameter, sometimes there's just no way out.

Burley
2008-12-30, 09:31 AM
*4th level
*Wizard/Sorcerer spell
*1 rnd/lvl
Bonus points if it does sonic or thunder damage (my friend uses elemental substitution: sonic to change it, not for 3 thunders, he just prefers to avoid common resists)
*no save vs damage, Fort save Vs blindness applies (GM has house ruled deafness when sonic substitution is in play)
*SR Yes (sorry)

You should point out to your friend that the feat Energy Substitution doesn't actually allow sonic energy. Acid, cold, electricity and fire are the only ones that the feat mentions. The problem arises, not only when most monsters have no defense to sonic, but when you realized that sonic spells have smaller damage dice than their equivalents. The lesser orb spells, for instance, use d8 dice, except for the sonic one, which deals a d6 damage.
For the sake of balance, sonic isn't, by RAW, applicable to the Energy Substitution feat. The DM maybe houseruled that in, which doesn't surprise me since he is also thinks that deafening is not more crippling than blindness. (PS- It is more crippling in D&D.)

Ahem, anywho... To answer the original poster: I dunno. I can't get my Adobe to work, so, I'm cut off from my spell lists. Try this (http://www.emass-web.com/index.php) site. Click "Dynamic Sheets", the 3.5 books, "Spells", and select the class lists applicable (by holding CTRL while clicking them). Then just scroll down the page looking for [Sonic] next to the descriptor. I'll edit on here if I get my computer to work fully.

Frosty
2008-12-30, 09:22 PM
*4th level
*Wizard/Sorcerer spell
*1 rnd/lvl
*SR Yes (sorry)

Umm, it's 2d6, fort for half. The no save is vs Dazzled (not blind). and it being a Light spell is bad. The character is a Drow. Anyhow, I'm the DM, so I say each time the spell does damage the save-or-stun happens. Hmm...so only the radius and duration is better. It might be ok...but so far Resounding Thunder still does more damage and has a chance at deafening.

Biffoniacus_Furiou: Fire Spider seems cool, but the radius isn't impressive. And there's the possibility of them going after your own allies.

Freezing Fog is genius. Maybe a bit *too* good. Well, I am the DM in the game, so I can make the rules. At least most devils can Teleport as a SLA so they won't be totally hosed. No SR is good and the damage can'tbe reflexed out of. Add in the Lyric Thaumaturgist's ability and it'll deal 7d6 damage a turn half sonic half thunder. That'll hamper spellcasting definitely.