PDA

View Full Version : Palladium Books's Internet Policy...Legal question

Grynning
2008-12-29, 11:23 PM
So, I haven't played Rifts® or any other Palladium game in some years, but I've been getting a bit worn out on all these new-fangled, fancy-schmancy games that we've been playing lately. So, I've decided to finally begin my years old project of compiling together all my house rules and ideas for a Rifts® game and possibly putting them to use.
The question is, based on Palladium's Internet Policy (http://www.palladiumbooks.com/policies.html), am I allowed to a) post my homebrew and house rules on the Playground forums for critique or b) run a PbP game with it here? I know Palladium still maintains their gaming chat rooms (and maybe forums, though I don't see any), but I have no ties to their community anymore, so I'd want to do stuff here. As far as I can tell, as long as the disclaimers (like the one below) are posted and the ® and (TM)s meticulously placed, it would all be ok, but if someone with better knowledge of how these things work could give that a read and let me know, that would be appreciated (isn't AKA_Bait a lawyer or something?). I certainly wouldn't want to cause trouble.

Here's one of the disclaimers, btw, there are several more in the policy linked above:
"Rifts® is a Registered Trademark owned and licensed by Palladium Books, Inc. and Kevin Siembieda."

horseboy
2008-12-29, 11:33 PM
Well, Mark Hall works for them, he should be here shortly.

LibraryOgre
2008-12-29, 11:35 PM
IANAL, etc., etc.

The question is, based on Palladium's Internet Policy (http://www.palladiumbooks.com/policies.html), am I allowed to a) post my homebrew and house rules on the Playground forums for critique

Yes, provided those rules are not a conversion of something. You can post, say, "Here's some house rules on how to deal with skills", but not "Here's how to convert Rifts to d20" or "Here's how to play Spaceballs in Palladium." I've done this for years, without an issue (look at Nexx's Hello and the Cranky Gamer for examples).

or b) run a PbP game with it here?

Yes, provided you don't post Palladium's rules. You can post your house rules (such as how you handle character creation, or parts of combat), but not an entirely new combat system or the like.

I know Palladium still maintains their gaming chat rooms (and maybe forums, though I don't see any), but I have no ties to their community anymore, so I'd want to do stuff here.

They do have forums (http://forums.palladium-megaverse.com/index.php), but no PBP space on it.

Incidentally, Palladium is my go-to game, so I'd be happy to see what you have.

Grynning
2008-12-29, 11:42 PM
Thanks Nexx. I have to hit the hay tonight (work didn't go away while I was on vacation, which I suppose is fortunate in this economy), but I will start a thread in Homebrew tomorrow.

The short version is, I plan to use a "Building block" style character creation system that uses skill packages and purchased class features instead of OCC's, switch MDC to a 1/10 ratio (think we talked about that before a while ago), and condense a number of skills and use a generic progression for skills rather than specific numbers for each. Also I'll probably change a lot of individual weapons, mecha and such but that will come later.

Edit: I just noticed that you're a fellow Texan. PM me if you ever plan to be in Austin, we'll go have a beer and swap Rifts stories.

LibraryOgre
2008-12-30, 12:35 AM
Thanks Nexx. I have to hit the hay tonight (work didn't go away while I was on vacation, which I suppose is fortunate in this economy), but I will start a thread in Homebrew tomorrow.

Send me a link; I never check Homebrew.

The short version is, I plan to use a "Building block" style character creation system that uses skill packages and purchased class features instead of OCC's, switch MDC to a 1/10 ratio (think we talked about that before a while ago), and condense a number of skills and use a generic progression for skills rather than specific numbers for each. Also I'll probably change a lot of individual weapons, mecha and such but that will come later.

Definitely check out the Cranky Gamer... I made a post about changes to the skill system. One option was to condense the skill selections severely, while making the skills themselves wider in scope.

Edit: I just noticed that you're a fellow Texan. PM me if you ever plan to be in Austin, we'll go have a beer and swap Rifts stories.

Actually, once I get my Library degree, I'm thinking of moving to Austin.