PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I give you: A craft calculator

Neek
2008-12-30, 12:14 AM
I have been busy for the past day or so working on something I've been meaning to get around to in my unemployment: A craft calculator. It automates the Craft check. Just input your craft skill, the cost, and the DC of the check. You can take ten, or let it roll for you.

Neek's Craft calculator (http://craft.penguindeskjob.com/) (Revision 1).

Masterwork is currently being worked on.

Revision 1 notes:
29 December 2008 - Linked on forums.
[list] 30 December 2008 - Added Masterwork calculator.

Malacode
2008-12-30, 12:50 AM
Hey, that's kinda cool! Nice job

Neek
2008-12-30, 01:40 AM
Thank you. Still trying to add the masterwork component. It's doing something insane right now with it. I'm probably going to try an alternative approach on the morrow.

Mr. Zook
2008-12-30, 01:44 AM
Sweet work dude, I wish I could do stuff like that.

Neek
2008-12-30, 02:32 PM
It's really not that difficult.

Talanic
2008-12-30, 11:25 PM
Nice work, and I don't mean to complain, but there's still some bugs in it. The first time I tried, just plugging in numbers (think I went with skill of 17, 450 gold value, masterwork, take ten) it quit on me after the second week; trying to click again would cause it to ignore all variables and calculate as if all fields were blank.

I tried again. Skill of 16, DC 30 450 gold, non-masterwork, roll for it. On week 10, it stopped giving me new die rolls, instead returning ten each time. I didn't note that it turned on take ten (and I'm pretty sure I didn't do so accidentally), so I'm not certain what happened.

Neek
2008-12-31, 01:06 AM
Nice work, and I don't mean to complain, but there's still some bugs in it. The first time I tried, just plugging in numbers (think I went with skill of 17, 450 gold value, masterwork, take ten) it quit on me after the second week; trying to click again would cause it to ignore all variables and calculate as if all fields were blank.

I tried again. Skill of 16, DC 30 450 gold, non-masterwork, roll for it. On week 10, it stopped giving me new die rolls, instead returning ten each time. I didn't note that it turned on take ten (and I'm pretty sure I didn't do so accidentally), so I'm not certain what happened.

Don't be apologetic about giving any feedback. I tested it to make sure it works, but there were a few things that I forgot. Though I'm glad you pointed it out, because on a short enough timeline and a low enough DC, it isn't noticeable.

I can explain the problem, but I'll put in brief: If the masterwork component is completed before the project is, the calculator will think that the entire project is done and reset all the fields. That needs to be fixed.

I ran the calculator through +16/450/DC 30, and it seemed to run fine for 30 weeks, then for 17, 8, then 15 weeks. It depends on the die roll. I didn't notice any errors, just only if you're not paying attention to the results.

... which means I have to do something to bring that to your attention.

[Edit] Fixed (except for it's done thing).

Burley
2008-12-31, 09:14 AM
I think it's pretty neat, Neek. Kudos.

One thing: Your craft modifier says "Intelligence Score", which isn't the case for skill modifiers. You should think about changing that from "Score" to "Modifier".

Salty
2008-12-31, 10:45 AM
Awesome! Great work! Thanks for all the work, and I hope you suceed on figuring out how to fix the few problems.

Neek
2008-12-31, 11:32 AM
Awesome! Great work! Thanks for all the work, and I hope you suceed on figuring out how to fix the few problems.

Here's hoping! (Most of the bugs I believe have been outkinked, just needs a few knots undone here and there).

I think it's pretty neat, Neek. Kudos.

One thing: Your craft modifier says "Intelligence Score", which isn't the case for skill modifiers. You should think about changing that from "Score" to "Modifier".

Fixed.

Geostran
2008-12-31, 02:04 PM
Neek

I think I have found a problem. I inputted the numbers 5 for int mod; 12000 GP; DC of 20; checked take 10; and selected week for time period. Each time I checked the result was a failure score of 15. It never varied. I tried 30 times and each time the result was a score of 15.

So I changed the time period to days, and the result was the same -- a failure score of 15.

I do not think the result should be so consistent.

Charlie Kemek
2008-12-31, 02:23 PM
Neek

I think I have found a problem. I inputted the numbers 5 for int mod; 12000 GP; DC of 20; checked take 10; and selected week for time period. Each time I checked the result was a failure score of 15. It never varied. I tried 30 times and each time the result was a score of 15.

So I changed the time period to days, and the result was the same -- a failure score of 15.

I do not think the result should be so consistent.

with that, it is physically impossible to pass the check. you took ten, and have +5 modifiers, so rolling a 15 for a DC 20 check.

shadow_archmagi
2008-12-31, 02:39 PM
Now do one for magical item prices.

Those always confuse me to no end.

Neek
2008-12-31, 09:38 PM
You think I'm mad. And maybe, I am. I'll work on it on the new year.

Skjaldbakka
2008-12-31, 10:00 PM
Thats really cool. Makes me want to design a campaign around non-combat skills.