PDA

View Full Version : Modular Gestalt

jeek
2008-12-30, 01:10 AM
Thought exercise.. build a gestalt character that can wake up each day to fill a completely different role.

I'm expecting some combination of Incarnate/Binder/Chameleon, but I'm curious what options are available for such a character.

Flickerdart
2008-12-30, 01:20 AM
Changeling Factotum//Binder/Chameleon. That's pretty much as general as you're going to get.

jeek
2008-12-30, 01:22 AM
Factotum doesn't really fit the idea, there, because they wake up every day with more or less the same abilities.

KKL
2008-12-30, 01:37 AM
Factotum doesn't really fit the idea, there, because they wake up every day with more or less the same abilities.

And their abilities revolve around being really versitile.

Flickerdart
2008-12-30, 01:37 AM
Well, yes, but those abilities are: Imitate whatever the hell you feel like. They can switch on the fly, not just every day. Chameleons can also get their powers switched in, I believe, 10 minutes at one point.

jeek
2008-12-30, 01:43 AM
Well, yes, but those abilities are: Imitate whatever the hell you feel like. They can switch on the fly, not just every day. Chameleons can also get their powers switched in, I believe, 10 minutes at one point.

Sure, but I specified characters that choose their abilities when they wake up each day...

Townopolis
2008-12-30, 05:42 AM
Druid?

Ooh, I've got it

Spirit Shaman//Binder. There, every day you (1) Pick which spells know, and (2) pick which vestiges to bind. Between the druid's spell list and the vestiges, you should be able to find a combination to satisfy any role.

Burley
2008-12-30, 11:02 AM
Sure, but I specified characters that choose their abilities when they wake up each day...

Well, then he chooses to live on the plane of 10 minute days.

Noneoyabizzness
2008-12-30, 12:22 PM

their abilities though can be devoted toa completely different role each day

when it choses its spells in the begining of the day for factotum it could be focused on blasting bufing divination illusion, etc, or then decide to never spend points into spells only skill monkeying.

of course thee i s the obvious concept of psion added in this mix for psychic reformation. why stop at powers when skills can be changed every day

Pie Guy
2008-12-30, 06:03 PM
Incarnate//Binder

Gralamin
2008-12-30, 06:05 PM
Incarnate//Binder

Agreed, This thread needs more Incarnum.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2008-12-30, 06:17 PM
I think that a Binder/\Factotum/Chameleon is as good as you'll get.

The reason for maxing the Binder side over the Factotum side is that Binder, over 20 levels, gives more varying options that Factotum does over 20 levels. This gets you the much-coveted ability to gain additional standard actions (Factotum 8, I believe), while giving you the full Chameleon progression paired with the other best multi-threat.

jeek
2008-12-30, 06:35 PM
I think that a Binder/\Factotum/Chameleon is as good as you'll get.

The reason for maxing the Binder side over the Factotum side is that Binder, over 20 levels, gives more varying options that Factotum does over 20 levels. This gets you the much-coveted ability to gain additional standard actions (Factotum 8, I believe), while giving you the full Chameleon progression paired with the other best multi-threat.

Between the BinderLevel+=2 feat and the fact that one side currently only has 18 Levels (Factotum 8/Chameleon 10)... wondering if three levels of Incarnate and a level or two of Totemist can be crammed in there. I also vaguely remember there being some prestige class for Binders that's almost always worth taking over 5 levels in the actual class and still advances binding.

Is the Human Paragon thing abusable in this cluster of a character?

So I guess I'm looking at something like Incarnate 1/Totemist 2/Binder 12/BinderPrestigeClass 5//Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/Incarnate +2

Can you have a class being raised on both sides of the gestalt as long as it's not at the same time?

FMArthur
2008-12-30, 07:53 PM
I think so, but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to progress two prestige classes at a time, like you've got going with "binder prestige class" and chameleon for a few levels.

mikeejimbo
2008-12-30, 09:01 PM
Wizard.

Just prepare new spells every morning.

If you really want, Wizard//Cleric.

Demons_eye
2008-12-30, 09:16 PM
Chameleon is human/doppleganger only is it not?

Aergoth
2008-12-30, 09:20 PM
Wizard/Cleric can only fulfill a spellcaster or suport roll. If you really wanted to mix it up, I'd have to say... Ur-Priest/Factotum/SomethingElse

Jack_Simth
2008-12-30, 09:20 PM
Thought exercise.. build a gestalt character that can wake up each day to fill a completely different role.

I'm expecting some combination of Incarnate/Binder/Chameleon, but I'm curious what options are available for such a character.
A different party role of the classic four (Skillmonkey, Band-aid, Meatshield, zapper)?

That's not all that hard. With the right build, you can do all four at once ... once you hit the right level.

If we get, say, a human Beguiler-20//Savage Bard-5/Ur-Priest-5/Contemplative-10

Feats, oh,
1) Iron Will
HB) Able Learner
3) Spell Focus(Evil)
6) Skill Focus(Knoweledge(Religion))
9) Summon Elemental
12) Fiery Burst
15) Practiced Spellcaster (Ur-Priest)
18) Magic Sensitive

You've got the Skillmonkey role down pat (Beguiler gets 6+Int skill points per level, and has Int as a primary casting stat, and you've got 20 levels in it), you've got the Heal-bot role down pat (Ur-Priest gets 9th level spells at 9th or 10th level, depending on Wisdom, and all the Cleric spells - use Contemplative to continue boost Ur-Priest, and get access to domains - especially Travel and Fire), and you've got Arcanist down pat (Beguiler is an arcane caster, and UMD (bard skill, but Able Learner makes it yours permanently) gets you all the items you run across). The only thing left to figure out is the Meatshield... but Summon Elemental gets you disposable minions, and Gate (from Cleric side) + Mind Control (Beguiler) gets you nearly permanent semi-disposable minions (or you can just skip Gate and Mind Control the first few beasties you run across).

If you want to actually change roles, you want something along the lines of a Factotum-5/Chameleon-10/Factotum-5//Psion-20. Chameleon gives you flexable feats, and selectable spellcasting; Factotem gives you some selectable casting, and lots of nifties. Psions get Psychic Reformation, which permits them to change their skills, feats, and powers for a small cost in XP.

KKL
2008-12-30, 10:06 PM
I also vaguely remember there being some prestige class for Binders that's almost always worth taking over 5 levels in the actual class and still advances binding.

Knight of the Sacred Seal. d10 HD, full BAB, and all sorts of neat crap.

Vexxation
2008-12-30, 10:50 PM
Between the BinderLevel+=2 feat and the fact that one side currently only has 18 Levels (Factotum 8/Chameleon 10)... wondering if three levels of Incarnate and a level or two of Totemist can be crammed in there. I also vaguely remember there being some prestige class for Binders that's almost always worth taking over 5 levels in the actual class and still advances binding.

Is the Human Paragon thing abusable in this cluster of a character?

So I guess I'm looking at something like Incarnate 1/Totemist 2/Binder 12/BinderPrestigeClass 5//Factotum 8/Chameleon 10/Incarnate +2

Can you have a class being raised on both sides of the gestalt as long as it's not at the same time?

Rather than Incarnate 2 on the Factotum/Chameleon side, I believe that the Changeling Rogue Substitution levels are touted as fantastic, if you can fit them in. Extra skill points, Evasion, and of course, the fact that as a Changeling, you can wake up and rather than just pick a different role daily, actually disguise yourself effectively as somebody different.

jeek
2008-12-30, 11:45 PM
Rather than Incarnate 2 on the Factotum/Chameleon side, I believe that the Changeling Rogue Substitution levels are touted as fantastic, if you can fit them in. Extra skill points, Evasion, and of course, the fact that as a Changeling, you can wake up and rather than just pick a different role daily, actually disguise yourself effectively as somebody different.

Incarnate 3 gets the essentia cap lifted by 1. On the other hand, Evasion *is* pretty awesome.

My goal here is to set up a long-term BBEG that keeps popping up as "different" characters, even going to have him be a DMPC in the party once or twice. Going to try to have him playable from 5-7 or so all the way up to 20. 15 levels of prestige class is doable, I guess, but cramming in another five seems pretty impossible.

I'm still wondering how the whole "Human Paragon 3" thing works.

Eclipse
2008-12-31, 02:32 AM
Wizard 15/Abjurant Champion 5//Cleric 10/Stormlord 10

I'm sure this can be further optimized with some judicious digging through splatbooks, but it gets things started nicely. This covers three of four party roles (arcane spellcaster, divine spellcaster, and frontliner, leaving out the roguelike character).

Mage armor (or greater mage armor) goes up at the beginning of the day, then shield goes up as a swift action and divine power goes up as a standard action in the first round of combat. With greater mage armor and shield, you're at a respectable AC 30. If you need more, alter self can find you a form with lots of natural armor, though the ability to persist it might be helpful if you want to be ready to go in combat with only one round of pre-buffing once the fight has started. With this, AC jumps to 35 with lizardfolk form, and I'm sure digging would provide a better choice of humanoid for higher AC. As long as you use a spear, it becomes thundering shocking burst in addition to whatever enchantments it has on it.

So now, you have arcane spells, divine spells, and frontliner AC with some extra lightning damage. Sounds good.

As an afterthought, perhaps you could use Bard 10/Sublime Chord 5/Abjurant Champion 5//Cleric 10/Stormlord 10 in order to get some rogue-style skills involved in the mix, without sacrificing too much on the arcane side.

Malicte
2008-12-31, 03:56 AM
I know you said you didn't like it, but I'm gonna second Binder 20//Factotum 8//Chameleon 10/x 2.

Pick feats in both Font of Inspiration or things that allow you to throw your int around more (Say, Kung Fu Genius for monk abilities, though they're bad). Chameleon and Binder actually generate your abilities, factotum just brings them up to a competitive (Read: awesome) level.

jeek
2008-12-31, 09:02 AM
Wizard 15/Abjurant Champion 5//Cleric 10/Stormlord 10

I'm sure this can be further optimized with some judicious digging through splatbooks, but it gets things started nicely. This covers three of four party roles (arcane spellcaster, divine spellcaster, and frontliner, leaving out the roguelike character).

You missed the point entirely. Not trying to cover every role at once, trying to make a character that can cover different roles each day.

Eclipse
2008-12-31, 02:50 PM
You missed the point entirely. Not trying to cover every role at once, trying to make a character that can cover different roles each day.

Whoops, I did. I'll just leave you guys to it and read along then, as I don't know much about the classes that let you change things up by the day.