PDA

View Full Version : Wildmage+Maximize Spell?

Risek
2008-12-30, 01:43 AM
So, am I right in thinking that a wildmage's caster level would also be maximized, since that is also a variable, numeric effect?

All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

Malacode
2008-12-30, 02:03 AM
All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized. Saving throws and opposed rolls are not affected, nor are spells without random variables. A maximized spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.

An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.

I don't think the caster level is counted as part of the spell. It determines certain things about the spell, but isn't part of it. A 1st level wizard and a 20th level wizard both can cast ray of frost, after all. Also, caster level changes the Saving throw only (At lest of most spells, I know about Fireball and other that change damage too). Personally, I'd rule against this.

RTGoodman
2008-12-30, 02:07 AM
No, caster level wouldn't be affected, by the text you yourself quoted. Maximize Spell says all variable, numerical EFFECTS of spells are maximized. Caster level isn't an effect of a spell (unless, I guess you have a spell that gives you +X caster level, which doesn't exist AFAIK), whereas damage or something like that IS an effect.

Fostire
2008-12-30, 07:54 AM
(unless, I guess you have a spell that gives you +X caster level, which doesn't exist AFAIK)

consumptive field (Spell Compendium) gives you temporal increase in caster level but it's not a numerical variable in that case.

Risek
2008-12-30, 09:49 AM
Ah well, I tried.
Thanks guys.

Malacode
2008-12-30, 09:52 AM
It's still an awesome idea, fundamentally... There has to be some way of ensuring your Wildmages caster level will be good... *thinks*

Burley
2008-12-30, 10:00 AM
Well, here's a long shot because I have no idea what I'm talking about, but:

What kind of ability is the wildmage's caster level variable? Supernatural, Extraordinary? I ask because: If, by some ridiculous chance, it is Spell-like, you could use Maximize SLA on it.

But, I don't know anything about the Wildmage. I'm of the belief that the wildmage is only cool if you houserule in an d100 table of effects to mess with the caster.

Kantur
2008-12-30, 10:02 AM
Practised Spellcaster is the traditional one to cancel the -3 (So it's now CL + 1d6 instead of CL-3+1d6) unless I missed someone somewhere finding a reason it doesn't work.

Fostire
2008-12-30, 11:58 AM

What kind of ability is the wildmage's caster level variable? Supernatural, Extraordinary? I ask because: If, by some ridiculous chance, it is Spell-like, you could use Maximize SLA on it.

But, I don't know anything about the Wildmage. I'm of the belief that the wildmage is only cool if you houserule in an d100 table of effects to mess with the caster.

2E wildmage (from tome of magic) had one, and it was awesome.
I remember this one time our DM made this door-that-can-be-opened-by-answering-a-riddle thing, and after trying every answer we could think of, I got angry and tried to use the fist of stone spell to punch the door open. I roll the caster level check and get a wild surge, I roll the wild surge and get the result "All normal doors, secret doors, portcullises, etc. (including those locked or barred) within 60' of caster swing open" :smallbiggrin:

AmberVael
2008-12-30, 12:02 PM

Er... none of the above, it seems? It has no descriptor at all. :smallconfused:

arguskos
2008-12-30, 12:07 PM
Er... none of the above, it seems? It has no descriptor at all. :smallconfused:
That's... curious. I would lay money though that it is meant to be (Ex), so it works everywhere, all the time, forever, and can't be cheesed w/ things like Maximize SLA (which would just be moronic).

AmberVael
2008-12-30, 12:09 PM
That's... curious. I would lay money though that it is meant to be (Ex), so it works everywhere, all the time, forever, and can't be cheesed w/ things like Maximize SLA (which would just be moronic).

Well, there are a number of other abilities which are not marked as anything. I assume it isn't marked because it isn't an ability unto itself- it is simply a modification of their ability to cast spells.

arguskos
2008-12-30, 12:11 PM
Well, there are a number of other abilities which are not marked as anything. I assume it isn't marked because it isn't an ability unto itself- it is simply a modification of their ability to cast spells.
Huh. I've always assumed that the lack of a marker means that someone somewhere merely forgot what they were doing. Meh, I'd probably call anything similar/related to this ability (Ex), just to cover all my bases. :smallsmile:

Also, on topic, Wild Mage is a hilarious class. I approve of the older version, which had a chance to make you roll on the d100 chart of "WTFGUYS??"

UserClone
2008-12-30, 04:46 PM
I like both versions of the Wild Mage, and would personally disallow the use of Practiced Spellcaster to mitigate the class feature, though it technically works, RAW.:smallannoyed: How cheesy and entirely against the spirit of the class.:smallsigh:

Flickerdart
2008-12-30, 04:52 PM
I like both versions of the Wild Mage, and would personally disallow the use of Practiced Spellcaster to mitigate the class feature, though it technically works, RAW.:smallannoyed: How cheesy and entirely against the spirit of the class.:smallsigh:
No it isn't. That's exactly what the feat is supposed to represent: a spellcaster that practises his casting. The Wild Mage that took it, in this case, is practised enough to mitigate his penalties, so that he doesn't lose his head when casting wildly and is just as good if not better than any other, more sane spellcaster.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-30, 05:12 PM
How does Practiced Spellcaster interact with the wild
magic class feature of the wild mage (from CAr)?

The –3 penalty and +1d6 bonus to the wild mage’s caster
level are applied as a single step in the process of determining
the wild mage’s caster level. Since Practiced Spellcaster’s
bonus is always applied when it is most beneficial to the
character (see previous answer), a wild mage with Practiced
Spellcaster would typically apply the wild magic class feature
first (subtracting 3 and adding 1d6 to her caster level) and then
add the Practiced Spellcaster benefit, up to a maximum value
equal to her character level.
It is perfectly valid to combine the two, but it doesn't come out to a straight +1d6 caster level.