PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Feats, items and other options that improve/boost a specific skill?

newbDM
2008-12-30, 02:19 AM
Over the years I have had many characters who focus on one skill, or a small group of skills. For example, my two current PCs is a psion grey elf who focuses on diplomacy, and a very cowardly kobold/dogbold who focuses on Hide and Move Silently as well as cooking. There are certainly going to be others (I am about to write up an Exempler who specializes in Bluff), so can the experienced pros here please tell me what feats, items, and other options there are to improve a specific skill(s)? Preferably options that do not depend on classes or races, so that they can be available to/used by all classes and races (or at least most)?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Starsinger
2008-12-30, 02:24 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#shards Shards from the Expanded Psionics Handbook. I mean yeah they're consumables, but meh.

xanaphia
2008-12-30, 02:27 AM
There's obviously Skill Focus, and the +2/+2 feats (and the joke thread about that, including Sneaky Surgeon). Also, there's being a human, but that's race specific. You can always Polymorph into a creature which is good at the skill.

RTGoodman
2008-12-30, 02:31 AM
Also, the vaguely-named "Masterwork Tool" (found in the Equipment section of the SRD/PHB) gives a +2 circumstance bonus on a skill, but it's been the subject of almost as many internet arguments as alignment regarding whether or not you could have a "tool" for EVERY skill.

Prometheus
2008-12-30, 03:01 AM
You could always craft a magic item to fit your needs. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#creatingWondrousItems) Skill bonuses are provided by bonus*bonus*100gp modified appropriately.

Darrin
2008-12-30, 09:52 AM
There are certainly going to be others (I am about to write up an Exempler who specializes in Bluff), so can the experienced pros here please tell me what feats, items, and other options there are to improve a specific skill(s)?

Spells that give bonus to any skill check
Guidance: various 0, +1 competence bonus
Improvisation: Bard 1 (Spell Compendium), up to 1/2 CL luck bonus
Focusing Chant: Bard 1 (Spell Compendium), +1 circumstance bonus
Divine Insight: Cleric/Paladin 2 (Spell Compendium), 5 + CL (max +15) insight bonus
Guidance of the Avatar: Cleric 2 (WotC website, Spellbook Archive), +20 competence bonus
Recitation: Cleric 4 (WotC Website, Spellbook Archive), +2 luck bonus
Crown of Glory: Glory 8 (Spell Compendium), +4 morale bonus

Feats
Shape Soulmeld: Lucky Dice. As a swift action, +1 luck bonus on skill checks

Thurbane
2008-12-30, 10:40 PM
Obviously, for specific skills there's things like Boots of Elvenkind, Goggles of Minute Seeing, Ring of Jumping etc.