PDA

View Full Version : New DM, 4e Modules ok?

DizzyD
2008-12-30, 08:48 AM
One of my groups DM's is moving so I have volunteered to try my hand at DMing. I have never DMed before so I plan on running one of the 4e modules until I get used to it and comfortable enough to manage my own setting. I was wondering how others feel about the 4e modules that are out as a DM or a player.

Any general tips for a new DM would be awesome as well...

Burley
2008-12-30, 08:58 AM
My first tip: Be assertive with your players. You aren't their boss, but you are the one that put extra time and effort into the session. There's a fine line you must walk between fair and oppressive, but don't let your players walk on you.

Second tip: Avoid distractions. You and your group are there for a reason: To hang out. If a conversation breaks out, it's okay. It isn't going to ruin anybody's fun, unless it actually starts to ruin fun. However, I've personally discovered that nobody has fun when one player is knitting and two others are playing video games on their cell phones, leaving the least experienced player to try to push the story and entertain the DM.

Which leads to my third tip: The DM is a player, too. It's just as important for a DM to have fun, and there should never be expectations on the DM that aren't on the players. Both the DM and players should come prepared, but the DM doesn't have to be in a good mood, nor does he have to have his head completely in the game. The DM wants to hang out as
well.

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-30, 09:03 AM
In my experience, the 4e modules give you details on what the players will be facing, and the majority of the mechanics for doing this...

What they don't tend to give you, is much of the Roleplaying side. If you're after plenty of stuff to happen out of combat, you'll have to tweak the modules significantly and tailor them to your own party...

The Mormegil
2008-12-30, 09:08 AM
NO!

Not even read the thread actually, but the title just screamed for this answer...

EDIT: now read. Anyway, there is a great guide sticky on this page, read through it a couple of times and you'll be better off than nothing at the very least.

Yakk
2008-12-30, 10:52 AM
They are a bunch of pre-built encounters with some fluff connecting them.

As pre-built encounters, they aren't bad. The fluff often needs to be tailored to your party, naturally.

And having pretty full-color maps is fun for conflicts. :)

Do read ahead, and be aware that a Level 5 encounter for Level 1 PCs is a possible party wipe. Making it possible for the party to work this out before they run into the Kobold lair might be a good idea (warning them that the lair will be extremely dangerous, letting them know that retreat is an option, make them think about dealing with the problem later, etc).

skywalker
2008-12-30, 08:31 PM
NO!

Not even read the thread actually, but the title just screamed for this answer...

I'm curious why your answer is so strong without an explanation?

I like 4e's modules. H1 is probably the most boring, they really stepped up the creativity when it came to H2 and H3.

DizzyD
2008-12-31, 08:25 AM
I was curious as well... but thank you all for your replies. Any more would be good as well.

Corrin
2008-12-31, 09:15 AM
I would definitely skip H1 and start at H2 if you're going to do the modules. H1 was completely boring IMO. You might want to try FR1 as a lead-in to H2. And I'd check out Dungeon magazine if you have a subscription.

tcrudisi
2008-12-31, 01:19 PM
I completely agree with Corrin. Skip H1. As a player, it was okay, but we were stuck in a dungeon with little to no chance to RP for months. It was completely hack-and-slash. We were stuck there for months because we only meet once a week, and then only for about 3 hours.

The DM for H1 is actually stepping down, so I'm continuing on. I was skeptical about H2: Thunderspire Labyrinth because of H1, but once I read through it, I found that I liked the setup. I think there's a lot of flexibility with it.

If you want to start with a really easy module, I would advise trying to find "Treasure of Talon Pass". It's a quick adventure meant for level 2 players, which could be perfect. By the end, make sure they are level 3. Get them into Thunderspire Labyrinth at level 3 and they should be fine. Treasure of Talon Pass is a quick module that should last probably 2 days, so having a 2-day dungeon crawl isn't bad at all, and you can sandwich it between roleplaying, so the players don't get bored.

Reverent-One
2008-12-31, 07:00 PM
Could someone explain what the H1, H2, and ect all mean?

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-31, 07:37 PM
They are identity codes for modules published by WotC. That's Wizards of the Coast, in case that anagram is new to you

H1- Refers to Heroic Tier Module 1- being Keep on the Shadowfell.
H2- Heroic 2- Thunderspire Labyrinth
H3- Heroic 3- Pyramid of Shadows
P1- Paragon Tier Module 1- King of the Trollhaunt Warrens
FR1- Forgotten Realms Module 1- Scepter Tower of Spellgard

Hope that helps.

Reverent-One
2008-12-31, 07:54 PM
They are identity codes for modules published by WotC. That's Wizards of the Coast, in case that anagram is new to you

That one, at least, I've heard of.

H1- Refers to Heroic Tier Module 1- being Keep on the Shadowfell.
H2- Heroic 2- Thunderspire Labyrinth
H3- Heroic 3- Pyramid of Shadows
P1- Paragon Tier Module 1- King of the Trollhaunt Warrens
FR1- Forgotten Realms Module 1- Scepter Tower of Spellgard

Hope that helps.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure. I've only ever seen the KotS module out so far, are the rest of those out yet and I've just missed them?

Inyssius Tor
2008-12-31, 08:00 PM
Yep! They are much better, though some people (http://www.thealexandrian.net/creations/creations.html) have done interesting things with KotS.

Kurald Galain
2009-01-01, 11:24 AM
I'd say that yes, they are "OK". What they are not, however, is "good".

RebelRogue
2009-01-01, 01:46 PM
I'm going to run P1 tomorrow actually. So I guess, I'd better get started reading the module :smallwink: Tips, tricks and potentiel trouble points from people who've run it themselves are welcome :smallsmile:

KKL
2009-01-01, 03:03 PM
I heard good things about Demon Queen's Enclave.

DizzyD
2009-01-02, 08:50 AM
Are H1, H2 and H3 supposed to work together... I assumed so but after taking a quick glance at H2 it seems quite different than H1.

The Mormegil
2009-01-02, 09:01 AM
I'm curious why your answer is so strong without an explanation?

I like 4e's modules. H1 is probably the most boring, they really stepped up the creativity when it came to H2 and H3.

I played one (H1, actually, and that might explain something), and nobody enjoyed it. One of us quit 4E after that... :(
Oh, as for why I do not enjoy them, that's becdause there's no story whatsoever (or better, there is a story that has little to nothing to deal with PCs at best, and it's pretty much a random garbage that ties together encounters). And I didn't even like the encounters that much...

DizzyD
2009-01-02, 11:44 AM
I read that H1 is combat heavy for the sole reason that it was the first 4e module and it was supposed to introduce the combat rule set... As with most modules it kinda depends on your DM for extra RP and it sounds to me that may have been your problem. I haven't played H1 yet but after reading over it and making a few minor alterations it looks like it should be fun. It is definitely combat heavy but there is nothing in there that keep the DM from adding a little flare. I'm sorry your group had a bad experience... But it sounds to me like it wasn't exactly the modules problem.

Ninetail
2009-01-03, 05:11 AM
While I haven't run any of them, I feel pretty confident in saying that the modules are okay. Not great, but not awful.

I feel pretty confident in saying this because D&D modules have, generally, all been like that. There are some standouts and some stinkers, but most are okay.

The thing to realize about a module is that it's not going to be great for you if you just run it out of the box. The way to use a module is to look it over, then change parts of it to fit your game. At the very least, you'll want to tweak the story to suit your game.

Since you're new, I would say running a module is a good idea. But don't be afraid to throw out what's written on the page and add things of your own. (Try not to be too crazy handing out treasure or setting up challenges until you get a feel for it, though. You don't want to lean too far one way or the other.)

Tough_Tonka
2009-01-03, 12:17 PM
Has anyone here played FR1? I was thinking about running it next semester. Good? Okay? Bad? and if so why?