Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: Two humanoids no more than 10 ft. per caster level appart
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will Negates (See Text)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell swaps the bodies of two humanoids. The result of this is that while keeping their own mental stats, skills, feats and class features the creatures take on the physical stats, racial features and size of one another. Both targeted creatures are entitled to a will save, and if either succeeds, the spell fails. Upon entering a stressful situation, such as combat, bodyswapped creatures must make a Fortitude save or become disorintated, thus taking a -4 on all rolls until the stressful situation is ended

Bodyswap
Transmutation [Mind Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Target: Two creatures of any typeno more than 10 ft. per caster level appart
Duration: 1 minute/level

This spell is identical to Lesser Bodyswap except as noted above, and that the creatures can be of any type, as long as they are both of the same type.

Greater Bodyswap
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Target: Two creatures of any type no more than 10 ft. per caster level appart
Duration: 1 hour/level

This spell is identical to Lesser Bodyswap except as noted above, and that the creatures targeted may be of any type and need not be of the same type as each other.

Perfect Bodyswap
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Target: Any two creatures no more than 10 ft. per caster level appart
Duration: Permenant

This spell is identical to Lesser Bodyswap except as noted above. Any two creatures can be instantaneously and permaentanly Bodyswapped with use of this spell.

Feedback and help VERY appreceiated. First time creating spells...

Ikkitosen
2004-08-16, 10:33 PM
Just a typo - should bodyswap be higher level than lesser bodyswap?

As for balancing, these spells have far too much complicated mechanics potential for me to know where to start - I guess I'm not such a good powergamer. Sorry :-/.

Ikki.

DarkLight140
2004-08-16, 10:50 PM
Really, I'm not so sure about that last having no save. I mean, I'm not exactly the best at balancing spells myself, but it seems that anything where you can swap yourself with, say, I don't know, a planetar, should have a save. I mean, really. Aside from the planetar being unhappy, there's all sorts of balancing issues with that. All physical dump stats just disappeared.

As for the others, well, I'm not so sure. This seems interesting but I'm having trouble judging its powerful-ness. But Bodyswap probably isn't meant to be 2nd level.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-16, 11:10 PM
Theme: Bodyswapping

Lesser Bodyswap
Transmutation
Saving Throw: Will Negates (Harmless) (See Text)

This spell swaps the bodies of two humanoids. The result of this is that while keeping their own mental stats, skills, feats and class features the creatures take on the physical stats, racial features and size of one another. Both targeted creatures are entitled to a will save, and if either succeeds, the spell fails.

While I like that you said see text, its not harmless lol.
Good spell, useful.

Bodyswap
Transmutation
Duration: 1 minute/level

This spell is identical to Lesser Bodyswap except as noted above, and that the creatures can be of any type, as long as they are both of the same type.

Its the same spell lv as Lesser body swap, raise the spell level by at least 1 level. So no more does it only affect humaniods? Can you swap with undead?
Good spell.

Greater Bodyswap
Transmutatio
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Duration: 1 hour/level

This spell is identical to Lesser Bodyswap except as noted above, and that the creatures targeted may be of any type and need not be of the same type as each other.
[/quote
Did you mean for Bodyswap to be any type also? If so this note that we can now affect anytime is already settled. At this many hours, I think the Caster should have the power to dismiss spell if he wants.
[quote]]
Perfect Bodyswap
Transmutation
Target: Any two humaniod creatures no more than 10 ft. per caster level apart
Duration: Instanteoues
Saving Throw: None

This spell is identical to Lesser Bodyswap except as noted above. Any two creatures can be instantaneously and permaentanly Bodyswapped with use of this spell.

Feedback and help VERY appreceiated. First time creating spells...

Permanently? Why is it instanteous, shouldn't it be permanent? So since its like lesser body, it only affects humaniods. That is a big balancing factor.

Darklight: don't worry, Planars aren't humaniod
Though you could switch a wizard or fighter with a commoner making his physical stats worse I'm betting.

DarkLight140
2004-08-16, 11:14 PM
Uh, where does it say "humanoid" in that line?

Perfect Bodyswap
Transmutatio
Target: Any two creatures no more than 10 ft. per caster level appart
Duration: Instantenoes
Saving Throw: None

I see no "humanoid" here...

And as for switching wizards and commoners, heck, just switch your wizardly self with the evil enemy fighter, and zap, you have all his nice gear, and nice physical stats, and he has a mostly-gear-stripped weakling body with spell components, wands, scrolls, and staffs he can't use.

Gdrad
2004-08-17, 12:10 AM
What if the party decides to use....Charm Person on some monster to switch boys with them??? I would somewhat suggest maybe making a "Does not effect anything already under a spell" safety net if you dont want to allow PC's to do such things. Also how does it interact with a Polymorphed creature or something similiar?? What if they swap multiple times so then none of the PCs are in their own body??
Are switched people capable of handling their new body right??

Anyway, I love the idea of the spell. Could cause some awkward moments amoung PCs. Nifty idea.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-17, 12:36 AM
Uh, where does it say "humanoid" in that line?

I see no "humanoid" here...

And as for switching wizards and commoners, heck, just switch your wizardly self with the evil enemy fighter, and zap, you have all his nice gear, and nice physical stats, and he has a mostly-gear-stripped weakling body with spell components, wands, scrolls, and staffs he can't use.

The words identical to Lesser Bodyswap means something?

Lesser Bodyswap
Transmutation

This spell swaps the bodies of two humanoids. The result of this is that while keeping their own mental stats, skills, feats and class features the creatures take on the physical stats, racial features and size of one another. Both targeted creatures are entitled to a will save, and if either succeeds, the spell fails.

So how about those bolded parts? seeing as identical means it must affect only humaniod, it should have said body swap if it meant to affect non-humaniods.

Ikkitosen
2004-08-17, 12:42 AM
"Except as noted above" is what it says, and in the specific spell it says any 2 creatures.

So yes, eminently abuseable.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-17, 12:59 AM
"Except as noted above" is what it says, and in the specific spell it says any 2 creatures.

So yes, eminently abuseable.
Guess, a person could read it that way. Yeah, okay as written it sounds unbalanced...

Vik
2004-08-17, 05:58 AM
Even the humanoid limitation is not enough. You can gain a huge stats bonus with this spell, at almost no cost - that is, you look like another one. At the very least, you should consider :
- Make it a permanent spell, so that it can be dispelled.
- Put an XP cost, and a huge one if the spell is still instantaneous.
- Grant a saving throw.

Otherwise, the spell theme is cool, but overpowered. Even the lvl 2 spell is too powerful !
By the way, add the [Mind-affecting] descriptor.
Maybe the lesser level spells should be only illusions ?

DarkLight140
2004-08-17, 09:27 PM
I don't think the [Mind-affecting] descriptor is entirely appropriate... I mean, while it does seem to affect minds, it more just moves the conciousness (or lack thereof) than actually manipulates it. A mindless or otherwise immune to [Mind-affecting] creature creature can still have its body stolen, just not its mind.

And yeah. They all need a saving throw, espicially the last one. as for XP cost, I'm not sure, but maybe. I'd say let them make a new save every so often (at decreasing intervals, for the permanent one) to try and switch back.

Ikkitosen
2004-08-17, 09:53 PM
Also, permanently stealing another living being's body is Evil I'd say - quite similar to the Bloodstone of Fistandantalus, although this admittedly left the poor target's soul lost, not just moved.

The choice to steal someone's body is really a no-brainer for a good character - so for a PC maybe this spell would only be used to swap with willing targets for short periods of time. For the bad guys on the other hand (damn it, where is that evil grin smiley?!).

Ikki.

Scorpina
2004-08-18, 10:48 AM
I don't think the spell itself is evil, its more that it has potential to be used by evil. I mean, you can use Magic Missile to kill innocent farmers and take their sheep, but that doesn't make it evil...

Ikkitosen
2004-08-18, 10:32 PM
Indeed, I just meant that as written no good character should use this without the intent of giving the body back, that's all!

I mean, a rogue can probably justify picking a guy's pocket, but can a mage really justift picking his whole body? ;)

Vik
2004-08-19, 12:34 PM
By the way, what happens if one of the two creatures body die ? Who is the one that really die - do they both die ? Where do the souls go ?

Starbuck_II
2004-08-19, 06:02 PM
By the way, what happens if one of the two creatures body die ? Who is the one that really die - do they both die ? Where do the souls go ?
Good question... hmm if one dies; the other if within 100 feet of other must return to body and takes 1d4/lv impact damage:? However, the body that is destroyed is converted to the other body.
If not within 100 feet upon death, both are killed.
I chose 100 feet because it came to mind.
EXample: Imp 1 and rat 1 are switched by a lv 10 caster.
Rat dies while in imps body, imp must go back to his body if within 100 feet of it. He also takes 1d4/lv damage about 1/2 40 or around 20 damage.(he hopefully will survive)
He is probably confused and hurt but his body isn't killed, but the poor rat's body is FUBAR.

Up to you if that is method.
I feel the damage is the sudden shove back in body hurts you. I felt the spell preseves the body so if close enough you are returned to your body with the body unharmed.
Otherwise, I assume you die as well as rat.(other person)

Adghar
2004-09-01, 05:33 PM
Y'know what I think? I think you should have one more spell that's similar, with the same saving throw thing that you now have at tge first post, but instead of stats and all that, you could just switch Current HP.

Bjorm
2004-10-25, 01:15 PM
Good question... hmm if one dies; the other if within 100 feet of other must return to body and takes 1d4/lv impact damage:? However, the body that is destroyed is converted to the other body.
If not within 100 feet upon death, both are killed.
I chose 100 feet because it came to mind.
EXample: Imp 1 and rat 1 are switched by a lv 10 caster.
Rat dies while in imps body, imp must go back to his body if within 100 feet of it. He also takes 1d4/lv damage about 1/2 40 or around 20 damage.(he hopefully will survive)
He is probably confused and hurt but his body isn't killed, but the poor rat's body is FUBAR.

Up to you if that is method.
I feel the damage is the sudden shove back in body hurts you. I felt the spell preseves the body so if close enough you are returned to your body with the body unharmed.
Otherwise, I assume you die as well as rat.(other person)

lol
1) switch body with arch-villan
2) Kill yourself
3) Loot, dance, etc :P

Baron
2004-10-27, 04:59 AM
Not if I've read Starbuck post correctly,

2) Kill yourself
3) Arch-villian goes back into their body and says ouch
4) You're in your body but a bit dead.

Bjorm
2004-10-27, 01:18 PM
Oh, my bad :-[

2) chop off hands and feet and set fire on your self ect.
3) end spell before you die from shock ;D

Vik
2004-10-28, 03:25 AM
OtoH :
- cast hold person on the arch-villain.
- Coup-de-grace him.

eldersphinx
2004-10-28, 10:27 PM
I agree, no matter how you manage this spell it seems like the 'swap bodies, arrange horrible things to the unsuspecting bad guy, end spell' trick is going to be usable. (If nothing else, you can Bodyswap the archvillain with your unarmed, unarmored, unbuffed, Str 3 Dex 3 Con 3 henchman, then start the beatdown.)

Besides, why is it, exactly, that if I Bodyswap myself into that goblin, then get the goblin's head cut off, that ending the spell heals the Goblin's injuries and inflicts damage on my body? Doesn't make much sense...