13th | +13/+8/+3 | +4 | +8 | +6 | Sharp Mind, Sharp Body | 9
14th | +14/+9/+4 | +4 | +9 | +6 | Spellparry | 9
15th | +15/+10/+5 | +5 | +9 | +7 | - | 10
16th | +16/+11/+6/+1 | +5 | +10 | +7 | Incredible Flanker | 11
17th | +17/+12/+7/+2 | +5 | +10 | +8 | Improved Evasion | 11
18th | +18/+13/+8/+3 | +6 | +11 | +8 | - | 12
19th | +19/+14/+9/+4 | +6 | +11 | +8 | Amazing Spellparry | 13
20th | +20/+15/+10/+5 | +6 | +12 | +9 | Doublestrike | 14[/table]

Proficiencies: A fencer is proficient with simple weapons. He is also proficient with martial weapons usable with Weapon Finesse. and with light armor, but not shields.

Skills: A fencer chooses two skill sets. He receives 4 + Int skill points per level, x4 at first level.

Prowess: A fencer receives six points of prowess per level.

Maneuvers: A fencer is capable of making precise, dangerous attacks due to his training. Maneuvers may only be used with melee finesse weapons--that is, melee weapons that interact with Weapon Finesse.

There are three kinds of maneuvers: Bases, Multipliers, and Special. Base maneuvers add an amount of damage or a bonus to attack rolls. Multipliers multiply the amount provided by the base (so that a base that added 1d6 damage coupled with a x2 multiplier would instead add 2d6 damage). Multipliers do not affect Special maneuvers unless otherwise stated. Special maneuvers add an additional effect, such as an increase to reach, a status effect, or a bull-rush.

Unless otherwise stated, maneuvers are extraordinary effects.

A fencer knows one maneuver at first level and learns more at the rate shown on the table.

Tactical Strike: As a standard action, a fencer may make a single attack, applying one Base maneuver, one Multiplier maneuver, and one Special maneuver to the attack's effects.

Weapon Finesse: At first level, a fencer gains Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat.

Brave Fencer: At second level, a fencer gains the Brave Fencer weapon style feat as a bonus feat.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At third level, a fencer retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized. If a fencer already has uncanny dodge from a different class, he automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Combat Reflexes: At third level, a fencer gains the Combat Reflexes feat as a bonus feat.

Tactical Combat (Ex): At fourth level, a fencer gains the ability to apply his knowledge of combat and arms to the battlefield directly. He adds his Intelligence modifier as a shield bonus to his armor class, and also to his damage dealt with weapons when using Weapon Finesse. These bonuses apply even against touch attacks or when the fencer is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.

Brilliant Parry (Ex): At fifth level, a fencer gains the ability to defend against bull rushes, charge attacks, trip attempts and overrun attempts. With a successful Bluff check (DC is equal to the attacker's attack roll), a fencer may resist these effects. If successful, the fencer halts the attacker in the last square in which he was in before performing the attack and prevents the effects of the attack. This ability takes the place of an attack of opportunity and consumes the fencer's attack of opportunity from the round.

If the attacker does not normally provoke an attack of opportunity from performing one of the actions listed above, the fencer still may attempt to resist the attack. However, the DC to resist the attack increases by 5.

Deflect Arrows: At fifth level, a fencer gains the Deflect Arrows feat as a bonus feat. A fencer counts wielding a finesse weapon as having one hand free for the purposes of using the feat.

Improved Feint: At sixth level, a fencer gains the Improved Feint feat as a bonus feat.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At seventh level and higher, a fencer can no longer be flanked. This defense denies a rogue the ability to sneak attack the fencer by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has fencer levels. If a character already has uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank the character.

Tactical Advantage (Ex): At seventh level, a fencer understands how battles typically play out, and is prepared for them at any time. He adds his Intelligence modifier to his initiative score. He may also use his Tactical Strike ability when making an attack of opportunity.

Acrobatic Charge (Ex): At eighth level, a fencer gains the ability to charge over difficult terrain and may use their Tactical Strike ability to perform a maneuver after charging.

Adaptable Flanker (Ex): At eighth level, a fencer is able to aid his allies with harrying tactics. He counts as if he is in one square he is adjacent to when determining flanking, as well as his actual square. Altering which square the fencer targets with this ability is a free action that he can only perform on his turn. A fencer cannot flank by himself with this ability.

Ray Deflection (Su): At tenth level, a fencer can deflect incoming rays as well as he can deflect incoming arrows. Once per round, the fencer may deflect a ray by making an attack roll versus the ray's caster level + 10. If his result is greater than the caster level + 10, he may deflect the ray away from him harmlessly. Should his result exceed the caster level + 10 by five or more, he may redirect the ray to any target within 30' of himself, using the original attack roll versus the new target's AC. If his attempt fails, he is automatically struck by the ray, even if the attack roll would normally miss his AC.

Evasion (Ex): At eleventh level and higher, a fencer can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the fencer is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless fencer does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Sharp Mind, Sharp Body (Ex): At thirteenth level, a fencer learns how to mitigate normally heavily damaging abilities. He adds his Intelligence modifier to his Fortitude save as an insight bonus.

Spellparry (Su): At fourteenth level, a fencer can parry even incoming spells. He gains Spell Resistance equal to 10 plus 1/2 his class level plus his Intelligence modifier. If he wields a magic finesse weapon, he also adds his weapon's enhancement bonus to this value.

Incredible Flanker (Ex): At sixteenth level, a fencer acts as if he is in all squares he is adjacent to, as well as his own, when determining flanking. A fencer cannot flank by himself with this ability.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At seventeenth level, a fencer's ability to avoid attacks improves. This ability works like evasion, except that while the fencer still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth he takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless fencer does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Amazing Spellparry (Su): At nineteenth level, a fencer gains better insight into defending against spells. He adds any enhancement bonus his weapon possesses as an insight bonus to his saving throws against spells. If he wields two weapons, he adds the highest enhancement bonus.

Doublestrike (Ex): At twentieth level, a fencer gains the ability to perform two Tactical Strikes as a standard action. He must apply different maneuvers (base, multiplier, and special) to each attack, but both are performed at the fencer's full base attack bonus.

Maneuvers
Bases
+1d4 damage.
+1d6 damage. Minimum level: 4th
+1d8 damage. Minimum level: 7th
+2d4 damage. Minimum level: 10th
+2d6 damage. Minimum level: 13th
+2d8 damage. Minimum level: 16th
+1 attack bonus. Minimum level: 3rd
+2 attack bonus. Minimum level: 10th
+1 attack bonus, +1d4 damage. Minimum level: 10th
+1 attack bonus, +1d6 damage. Minimum level: 13th
+1 attack bonus, +1d8 damage. Minimum level: 16th
+1 round to duration of special effects with a duration. Minimum level: 8th

Multipliers
x2. Minimum level: 5th
x3. Minimum level: 10th
x5. Minimum level: 15th
x7. Minimum level: 20th

Special
The maneuver also acts as a bull-rush attempt, with a +2 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier.
The maneuver also acts as a bull-rush attempt, with a +3 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier. Minimum level: 7th
The maneuver also acts as a sunder attempt, with a +2 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier.
The maneuver also acts as a sunder attempt, with a +3 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier. Minimum level: 7th
The maneuver also acts as a disarm attempt, with a +2 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier.
The maneuver also acts as a disarm attempt, with a +3 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier. Minimum level: 7th
The maneuver also acts as a trip attempt, with a +2 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier.
The maneuver also acts as a trip attempt, with a +3 bonus. Multiply this bonus by the multiplier. Minimum level: 7th
The maneuver also inflicts a -1 Strength penalty for 1 round. Multiply the penalty but not the duration by the multiplier. Minimum level: 4th
The maneuver also inflicts a -1 Dexterity penalty for 1 round. Multiply the penalty but not the duration by the multiplier. Minimum level: 4th
The maneuver also makes the target flat-footed until their next turn.
The maneuver also increases the fencer's reach by 5' for this round.

afroakuma
2008-12-30, 04:09 PM
I like this. The maneuvers are nice; different touch than I'd expected.

SilentNight
2008-12-30, 04:10 PM
Looks very nice, a couple questions though.

1. Must a fencer learn maneuvers chronologically? I.E. do they progress like a feat tree?
2. Can a fencer use single maneuvers without tactical strike?
3. Can maneuvers be traded out at specific levels like spontaneous arcane casters?
4. Is there any reason Brilliant parry uses a bluff check rather than an attack roll like the other parry abilities?

Apart from that very nice job although I'm a little concerned about versatility which I admit is offset by the skill sets but still.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-30, 04:18 PM
1. Must a fencer learn maneuvers chronologically? I.E. do they progress like a feat tree?Nope. They just have to meet the level requirement.

2. Can a fencer use single maneuvers without tactical strike?No.

3. Can maneuvers be traded out at specific levels like spontaneous arcane casters?I hadn't considered this. Maybe, but leaning towards no.

4. Is there any reason Brilliant parry uses a bluff check rather than an attack roll like the other parry abilities?Because I ripped it wholesale out of an older class I did (the Matador). I may swap it to an attack roll.

Apart from that very nice job although I'm a little concerned about versatility which I admit is offset by the skill sets but still.
What concerns you?

RTGoodman
2008-12-30, 04:31 PM
Looks good, but there's a couple of things I had questions about.

First, does Tactical Strike let a Fencer add one Base, one multiplier, AND on Special, or is that "and" supposed to be an "or?" Because you say you can't use a Multiplier on a Special, which seems odd if your primary ability is that you CAN add all three together. Or do you mean the Multipliers just don't affect the EFFECTS of the Specials (e.g., the distance bull rushed or something). Or am I just understanding it incorrectly?

Second, for Spellparry (and the greater version), is it supposed to work against ANY spell that has a saving throw and could affect the Fencer? If so, how do you justify a Fencer parrying, say, a fireball, but everyone else getting hit by it?

SilentNight
2008-12-30, 04:38 PM
Gotcha. While the core fighter isn't exactly a jack-of-all trades, bonus feats allow you to customize them to a certain extent. Put it down to paranoia, I'm jumping at shadows.

Fax Celestis
2008-12-30, 04:40 PM
First, does Tactical Strike let a Fencer add one Base, one multiplier, AND on Special, or is that "and" supposed to be an "or?" Because you say you can't use a Multiplier on a Special, which seems odd if your primary ability is that you CAN add all three together. Or do you mean the Multipliers just don't affect the EFFECTS of the Specials (e.g., the distance bull rushed or something). Or am I just understanding it incorrectly?That's an "and". The effects of the specials are what it doesn't multiply (unless otherwise stated). For instance, a +1d6, x2, bullrush +1 maneuver would come out to +2d6 damage, adding a bull-rush at a +2 bonus. A +1 attack, +1d6 damage, x4, trip +2 maneuver would come out as +4 attack, +4d6 damage, adding a trip attempt at a +8 bonus. The target, however, wouldn't be tripped harder or bull-rushed extra distance.

Second, for Spellparry (and the greater version), is it supposed to work against ANY spell that has a saving throw and could affect the Fencer? If so, how do you justify a Fencer parrying, say, a fireball, but everyone else getting hit by it?Well, Spellparry just allows him to sub for a saving throw. Call it making a space in the fireball with his sword so he can dodge. With Amazing Spellparry, he just redirects it to a new target. I may will, however, qualify those as "targeted spells".

Jasdoif
2008-12-30, 05:53 PM
Brave Fencer: At second level, a fencer gains the Brave Fencer weapon style feat as a bonus feat.Uhh....Should I know this feat? :smallredface:

Tactical Combat (Ex): At fourth level, a fencer gains the ability to apply his knowledge of combat and arms to the battlefield directly. He adds his Intelligence modifier to his armor class and to his damage dealt with weapons when using Weapon Finesse. These bonuses apply even against touch attacks or when the fencer is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears medium or heavy armor, when he carries a shield, or when he carries a medium or heavy load.I'd make a note that the AC bonus doesn't stack with a shield bonus to AC, personally, if only so the shield restriction can't be overcome by, say, using a shield spell or similar. Maybe even make the AC bonus a shield bonus that explicitly applies to touch AC.

Adaptable Flanker (Ex): At eighth level, a fencer is able to aid his allies with harrying tactics. He counts as if he is in one square he is adjacent to when determining flanking, as well as his actual square.I presume this square is chosen during the fencer's turn, and/or is chosen by use of an immediate action when it's not the fencer's turn? Being able to change this square freely makes it significantly more versatile.

Spellparry (Su): At fourteenth level, a fencer can parry even incoming spells. Once per round, he may substitute an attack roll for a saving throw versus a targeted spell.I liked this better before you restricted it to targeted spells. Maybe expand it to include Reflex-half spells as well; the thought of causing a small safe region in the midst of a gust of flame is highly amusing/entertaining/useful, and would synergize with evasion nicely. Just a thought.

Incredible Flanker (Ex): At sixteenth level, a fencer acts as if he is in all squares he is adjacent to, as well as his own, when determining flanking.This...concerns me. Does this mean that if there's an opponent in a square directly up/down/left/right from the fencer, the fencer is flanking the opponent without aid (since the flanker is considered to be the corners, two of which are on opposite sites of the opponent)?

Doublestrike (Ex): At twentieth level, a fencer gains the ability to perform two Tactical Strikes as a standard action. He must apply different maneuvers to each attack, but both are performed at the fencer's full base attack bonus.Different maneuvers? You mean different base and different multiplier and different special? Or is just one of them being different sufficient?

Fax Celestis
2008-12-30, 06:10 PM
Uhh....Should I know this feat? :smallredface:Nope. It's a Style feat that's not made yet.

I'd make a note that the AC bonus doesn't stack with a shield bonus to AC, personally, if only so the shield restriction can't be overcome by, say, using a shield spell or similar. Maybe even make the AC bonus a shield bonus that explicitly applies to touch AC. Good idea. I'll do that.

I presume this square is chosen during the fencer's turn, and/or is chosen by use of an immediate action when it's not the fencer's turn? Being able to change this square freely makes it significantly more versatile.
Ooh, good point. I'll make it a free action only usable on their turn.

I liked this better before you restricted it to targeted spells. Maybe expand it to include Reflex-half spells as well; the thought of causing a small safe region in the midst of a gust of flame is highly amusing/entertaining/useful, and would synergize with evasion nicely. Just a thought.
Yeah, that's what I was going for with the original, but I was concerned with clarity and balance.

This...concerns me. Does this mean that if there's an opponent in a square directly up/down/left/right from the fencer, the fencer is flanking the opponent without aid (since the flanker is considered to be the corners, two of which are on opposite sites of the opponent)?What it means is that a fencer provides flanking for allies from any square surrounding him, not for himself. I'll add that "a fencer cannot flank an opponent by himself using this ability."

Different maneuvers? You mean different base and different multiplier and different special? Or is just one of them being different sufficient?
Completely different.

Knaight
2008-12-31, 07:51 PM
I like it. The manuevers look like they work pretty well, and all the deflection related stuff is really nice.

Icewalker
2009-01-27, 08:02 PM
Being a fencer myself, I felt that this needed to be one of the first classes I look at. I like it.

I have one extremely minor lexical detail, which is
Deflect Arrows: At fifth level, a fencer gains the Deflect Arrows feat as a bonus feat. However, unlike the regular feat, he may use the feat while wielding a finesse weapon.

Unless you've changed the phrasing on Deflect Arrows, this isn't lexically consistent with the feat (Deflect Arrows says 'one hand free', not no weapon), although the meaning is clear. While this is a phenomenally small nitpick, I felt I may as well point it out. It should be rephrased to something akin to 'wielding a finesse weapon counts as having one hand free for the purposes of using this feat'

Fax Celestis
2009-01-27, 08:08 PM
Being a fencer myself, I felt that this needed to be one of the first classes I look at. I like it.

I have one extremely minor lexical detail, which is

Unless you've changed the phrasing on Deflect Arrows, this isn't lexically consistent with the feat (Deflect Arrows says 'one hand free', not no weapon), although the meaning is clear. While this is a phenomenally small nitpick, I felt I may as well point it out. It should be rephrased to something akin to 'wielding a finesse weapon counts as having one hand free for the purposes of using this feat'

That was the intent. I'll fix it now.

Arbitrarity
2009-01-27, 09:43 PM
Ray Deflection, and by extension, Amazing Spellparry, are very, very, potent. To the extent that they are nearly immunities to spells. This is because the check to deflect a spell is trivial, at an attack roll versus a caster level. The caster level is static, and likely to be your level, or slightly more. This class has full BAB. Need I say more?

Admittedly, the limit/round is restricting, but it essentially blocks one spell per round, guaranteed.

Fax Celestis
2009-01-28, 10:23 AM
Ray Deflection, and by extension, Amazing Spellparry, are very, very, potent. To the extent that they are nearly immunities to spells. This is because the check to deflect a spell is trivial, at an attack roll versus a caster level. The caster level is static, and likely to be your level, or slightly more. This class has full BAB. Need I say more?

Admittedly, the limit/round is restricting, but it essentially blocks one spell per round, guaranteed.

What if I made it an attack roll vs. a level check?

Knaight
2009-02-26, 10:34 PM
Maybe allow an opposed attack roll vs. spell craft check or the like.

Belobog
2009-02-26, 11:54 PM
Maybe allow an opposed attack roll vs. spell craft check or the like.

I'd have reservations about that. While it would be tighter, Spellcraft is (arguably) optional, and right now, at least it's judged against something every spellcaster has. This suggestion penalizes spellcasters who don't take a skill rather harshly when a Fencer comes into play...though, that might be appropriate. On the other hand, range is important here...how many people tossing a fireball are going to be within 15' of their own spell?

Not sure how I feel about the class as a whole...I like most of the abilities, but the maneuvers lack a lot of pop, though they're balanced for the same reason. Seems limited in the way of options, but I enjoy the concept, and its focus. Mixed feelings. Might have to try this out.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-05, 09:28 PM
Some updates to the top, mostly to the Spellparry abilities.

Morty
2009-08-26, 02:01 PM
There's one issue I've always had with this class and now I was reminded of it while thinking about statting out some high-level characters using d20r as a thought excercise. Namely, the way I see it, Fencer is pretty much forced to fight with one weapon due to the way manuevers work, and I think it'd be nice to stat out someone fencing with two rapiers, a rapier and a dagger, two daggers ect. Will there be any way to make TWF more viable for Fencers? Or is it there already and I just missed it?

Fax Celestis
2009-08-26, 02:24 PM
There's one issue I've always had with this class and now I was reminded of it while thinking about statting out some high-level characters using d20r as a thought excercise. Namely, the way I see it, Fencer is pretty much forced to fight with one weapon due to the way manuevers work, and I think it'd be nice to stat out someone fencing with two rapiers, a rapier and a dagger, two daggers ect. Will there be any way to make TWF more viable for Fencers? Or is it there already and I just missed it?

There'll probably be a feat for it.

Worira
2009-08-26, 02:32 PM
I have some misgivings about the placement of Deflect Arrows. It is, essentially, a fantastic ability, but it comes before several key mundane abilities, like the initiative boost. Also, having fencers be less vulnerable to arrows than other classes seems like an odd flavour choice, in any case. A real fencer, no matter how skilled, will be taken apart by a decent archer. Even in swashbuckling action movies, it's not uncommon for a fencer to cut through rank after rank of melee combatants, then be stopped short by a bow, crossbow or gun leveled at him.

On the balance side, the only thing I really see a problem with is the spell deflection stuff, for previously mentioned reasons. And an attack roll vs. level check is weighted even further in favour of the fencer.

Morty
2009-08-26, 02:49 PM
There'll probably be a feat for it.

That's what I expected. I'll be looking forward to it.

Fax Celestis
2009-08-26, 05:18 PM
I have some misgivings about the placement of Deflect Arrows. It is, essentially, a fantastic ability, but it comes before several key mundane abilities, like the initiative boost. Also, having fencers be less vulnerable to arrows than other classes seems like an odd flavour choice, in any case. A real fencer, no matter how skilled, will be taken apart by a decent archer. Even in swashbuckling action movies, it's not uncommon for a fencer to cut through rank after rank of melee combatants, then be stopped short by a bow, crossbow or gun leveled at him.Realism is a very bad balancing mechanic, so I tend to disregard it. My general rule: "is it awesome?" If so, it's a good class feature.

On the balance side, the only thing I really see a problem with is the spell deflection stuff, for previously mentioned reasons. And an attack roll vs. level check is weighted even further in favour of the fencer.
Yeah, that's an issue I need to address. Not sure how to make it work like I want it to.

Cute_Riolu
2009-08-26, 05:21 PM
Yeah, that's an issue I need to address. Not sure how to make it work like I want it to.

Level + appropriate modifier + Misc, opposed check?

Fax Celestis
2010-06-04, 11:51 PM
Updated verbage for Spellparry and Amazing Spellparry to something more sane. Increased the bonuses provided by maneuvers slightly. Added one line to Tactical Advantage.

lesser_minion
2010-06-05, 12:54 AM
Realism is a very bad balancing mechanic, so I tend to disregard it. My general rule: "is it awesome?" If so, it's a good class feature.

This is something I still disagree with.

Realism hasn't worked as a balancing mechanic in the past, which is very different to "realism is a very bad balancing mechanic".

Among other things, designers have historically been reluctant to codify what a character might be able to do, on the grounds that either "the DM should handle that" or "the end result would feel artificial".

The second concern is valid, and if you're including any sort of 'manoeuvre' system in the game, then it's worth trying to avoid. Retaining a 'natural' relationship between different characters is one way to do that.

There are realistic ways around the fact that a fencer gets raped by an archer in certain situations. Giving the fencer the means to do that is more interesting than giving them an always-usable get out of jail free card.

The real issue with realism is that players become unwilling to take risks, and it can be more interesting to suddenly throw off the whole 'realism' thing and punch the laws of physics in the face.

But doing that all the time is emphatically not awesome. It's another place where it's a good idea to glue a limit onto the ability despite it not being necessary for balance.

Realistic relationships also have the advantage that characters can easily conserve their awesome resource by going back and re-reading Art of War.

Handing out awesome like candy leads to arms races. Especially when you're giving out the candy in response to someone else starting out by giving their favourite class all of the candy to start with.

In this particular case, I think you've done enough. But it's still a worthwhile consideration for other classes - especially casters, where it's a lot harder to even nail down what constitutes 'natural' in the first place.

Waargh!
2010-06-05, 12:56 AM
Realism is a very bad balancing mechanic, so I tend to disregard it. My general rule: "is it awesome?" If so, it's a good class feature.

Even though I like the class, I disagree with that general rule. I think a better was is to try and make the character "meet its expectation".
I always thought fencer is a bad name for these type of classes, as it is mostly a "weapon master". One that can do the job only with his weapon. He is even protected by spells arrows by using a weapon. He relies on his techniques, rather than brute strength to enhance his attacks. He also uses his knowledge of fighting (thus master) using his intelligence.
The above class is also a fencer, but not only that. A more general name to describe him would be better.

Milskidasith
2010-06-05, 01:11 AM
+1 round to duration combined with a -2 dex penalty and a 7x multiplier lets you, if you hit, render most large creatures incapable of movement for eight rounds with a single attack. It's like Shivering Touch, but a shorter duration.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-05, 10:23 AM
+1 round to duration combined with a -2 dex penalty and a 7x multiplier lets you, if you hit, render most large creatures incapable of movement for eight rounds with a single attack. It's like Shivering Touch, but a shorter duration.

The maneuver also inflicts a -2 Dexterity penalty for 1 round. Multiply the penalty but not the duration by the multiplier. Minimum level: 4th

That said, -14 Dex is a lot. Hold on...

Morty
2010-06-05, 02:50 PM
Duelist, maybe? I also have to say I agree with most of lesser minion's points.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-05, 03:17 PM
Realism hasn't worked as a balancing mechanic in the past, which is very different to "realism is a very bad balancing mechanic".
See, I get what you're saying, and I agree with you to a point--that point being ~7th level. After that point in time, you stop being human and start being superhuman: that's what E6 is all about. The best swordfighter in the world can't hope to stop four arrows coming at him in the span of six seconds, but he's only human. The Fencer gets Deflect Arrows at 5th level because he is beginning to become something much much more than what exists in the real world.

Whether or not he casts spells, he is afflicted with and affected by magic. This is a character in a fictional, fantasy universe populated with things beyond our wildest imaginations. Beyond that, he is a hero (or anti-hero, or villain, or what have you--the point is he is a capitalized name in the fantasy novel of the game). Heroes are expected to be exceptional: as such, they gain the ability to do things that non-heroes cannot do.

Generally, I try to keep under-seventh-level abilities within that capacity. In this instance, I gave it to him early so he'd have a better ability progression.

Lord_Gareth
2010-06-05, 03:33 PM
Any plans on updating the Hexblade?

DragoonWraith
2010-06-05, 03:34 PM
Any class which is bounded by the actual, realistic limits of the human body is an NPC class. Period. D&D was not designed for realistic.

Morty
2010-06-05, 03:38 PM
That's true. And in any case, it's no use arguing the basic assumptions of a homebrewed system, I think.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-05, 03:44 PM
Any plans on updating the Hexblade?

There's a few approximations: DragoonWraith is working on one, and the luckthief (while needing some tinkering) has the same sort of theme. However, they're approximations as the Hexblade is not OGL material, so I can't use it directly.

lesser_minion
2010-06-05, 03:50 PM
See, I get what you're saying, and I agree with you to a point--that point being ~7th level. After that point in time, you stop being human and start being superhuman: that's what E6 is all about. The best swordfighter in the world can't hope to stop four arrows coming at him in the span of six seconds, but he's only human. The Fencer gets Deflect Arrows at 5th level because he is beginning to become something much much more than what exists in the real world.

I don't disagree. All I'm suggesting is that it shouldn't be something a character can do as often as he likes. Partly because of the whole 'restraint' principle, and partly because it runs the risk of becoming an arms race.

Whether or not he casts spells, he is afflicted with and affected by magic. This is a character in a fictional, fantasy universe populated with things beyond our wildest imaginations. Beyond that, he is a hero (or anti-hero, or villain, or what have you--the point is he is a capitalized name in the fantasy novel of the game). Heroes are expected to be exceptional: as such, they gain the ability to do things that non-heroes cannot do.

I'm not arguing against them being able to turn the tide like this, I'm arguing against it being trivial or something they can do all the time. It's the same argument as with healing. It might not be unbalanced, but it isn't something you want to be able to do all the time.

Unconstrained awesome simply stops being awesome.

Dead Fantasy 5 (I'm not going to link it - it's on Youtube, but it's also a bit of a bloodbath) has a good example of the type of moment you need to include in the game.

Tifa easily fits with the definition of a high level character, but that doesn't mean she can bat away a vast quantity of firepower without breaking a sweat - she actually ends up either on negative hitpoints or bloodied and out of healing surges, depending on which edition you want to use.

Hero spoiler:

The ending of Hero, where Nameless is executed, is another fairly good example of not being able to defend all the time, and in this case it's actually with a character who we know is capable of defending himself.

Arguably, he didn't want to, and that might be a separate issue, but we know he could. It's perfectly reasonable to assume he was out of awesome juice.

Even at high levels - in fact, both of those examples are effectively straight out of high level play - the rules still have to create situations where being awesome isn't good enough. Even if the opponents you're fighting didn't bring awesome of their own to the table.

Otherwise, things start to become bland, 'awesome' or not.

Generally, I try to keep under-seventh-level abilities within that capacity. In this instance, I gave it to him early so he'd have a better ability progression.

That's the thing - in this case, it's fine. The feat already has a built-in limit.

It's things like the first draft of the cleric that might have posed an issue. Handing someone infinite awesome throws a spanner in the works of any attempt to tell a story.

In the Paradigm Project thread, I tried to come up with a rough idea of some of the principles that are really important in a roleplaying game (putting aside balance, because I always think of it as something that comes naturally once you have everything else in place). I don't think I did a great job of describing them, but they basically ran to:

Caution. How dangerous the game is in general.
Restraint. How far the rules go towards encouraging characters to avoid excessive use of their powers (and how they do so).
Attrition. How far it's possible to run characters into the ground.
Denial. Whether or not characters can be stripped of their powers by some means (for example, does loss of composure diminish a character's powers? If so, how much? How easy is it to make such an event happen?)
Spotlighting. How far it should be possible for characters to take the spotlight, and how long characters should be in the spotlight for.
Mystique. How far the game should try to keep elements of the way magic works secret.