PDA

View Full Version : As Player Dragon Progression

Andrealphus
2008-12-30, 07:43 PM
Hi I was wondering if anyone has or would be willing to do a player progression for the Prismatic Dragon, I have given it some attempts but I really don`t know what I am doing.
The campaign is not that close so if time is an issue I do not need it that urgently, that`s if anyone is wiling lol

Obrysii
2008-12-31, 05:44 PM
As it has no LA, it's hard to judge how to do a savage progression.

If someone provided the LA's, I could do one.

Zeta Kai
2008-12-31, 07:30 PM
What age category are we taking about here? I could probably do a Wyrmling, but the LA would still be rather high.

wadledo
2008-12-31, 07:39 PM
Are we talking the huge epic dragon here?:smallconfused:
Because I don't think epic creatures were meant to have progressions.

Andrealphus
2008-12-31, 11:54 PM
I have been trying to work out a progression based on xp instead of age that will go from player level 1 to player lvl 26 or 31, but it has not been working, this is probably because each ages category seems to require a sub progression in itself.

but i really wanted to try playing a dragon could anyone recommend a dragon type to play from lvl 1 if the Prismatic dragon will not work with a progression ?

wadledo
2009-01-01, 12:52 AM
I've got a progression for steel dragons (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88424), if it makes you feel better.

Andrealphus
2009-01-01, 02:28 AM
Thanks for the progression wadledo.
If anyone ells has progressions for dragons I would love to see them if you’re willing to share

Obrysii
2009-01-01, 09:02 AM
I am running a dragon campaign, actually - with about a dozen different dragons having been made into progressions.

Adamantine, Fang, Styx, Shadow, Radiant, Chaos, Pyroclastic, Greyhawk, Sand, Brainstealer, Iron, Gold, Tome, and Yellow ... I've made progressions for all of those.

Meek
2009-01-01, 01:04 PM
One of the 3.5e Dragon Magazines had Chromatic Dragon monster classes that took you from Wyrmling to Young Adult, iirc.

Prismatic Dragons are ridiculously powerful though. Then you also have to factor in that this is Epic, and epic levels are ridiculous in and of themselves as far as monsters, challenges and opportunities go. Looking at the Wyrmling though, it seems somewhat doable. It only has a caster level of 5, and some of the abilities aren't that amazing. It's mostly the ridiculous ability score modifiers that would break it as a PC (+18, +12, +10, +10, +10), and a monster class would be able to hand those out apart enough to make them tolerable, I think. Given that this is epic, I'd probably stick an LA +7 in there, and make a 30 level monster class with an LA-level every 4 levels or so. It's probably still horribly broken, but it is an even number, which I like.

wadledo
2009-01-01, 04:51 PM
One of the 3.5e Dragon Magazines had Chromatic Dragon monster classes that took you from Wyrmling to Young Adult, iirc.

Prismatic Dragons are ridiculously powerful though. Then you also have to factor in that this is Epic, and epic levels are ridiculous in and of themselves as far as monsters, challenges and opportunities go. Looking at the Wyrmling though, it seems somewhat doable. It only has a caster level of 5, and some of the abilities aren't that amazing. It's mostly the ridiculous ability score modifiers that would break it as a PC (+18, +12, +10, +10, +10), and a monster class would be able to hand those out apart enough to make them tolerable, I think. Given that this is epic, I'd probably stick an LA +7 in there, and make a 30 level monster class with an LA-level every 4 levels or so. It's probably still horribly broken, but it is an even number, which I like.

Problem is that while not specifically said, it is implied that epic dragons come out of eggs at Huge+ size.
It would also be very boring seeing as they only have a few abilities over those 30 levels.

Prometheus
2009-01-01, 06:33 PM
I think a lot of the problems that require LA are mitigated if you assume the player is "locked in" to Dragon. Of course, Dragons have notoriously lower CR than they should, so you would still have to have some.

Andrealphus
2009-01-01, 06:47 PM
Obrysii if you would not mind could i please get the tome dragon progression, i forgot they existed and they would work perfectly.

thank you for all the responses everyone i really appreciate it