PDA

View Full Version : ideas for making a mad scientist based villain for my PCs

maniakmastah
2008-12-31, 12:13 AM
Hey ya'll, a few games back, my PCs had to save the captain of the town guard who was basically kidnapped by 2 large flesh golems after the captain saved the town pharmacist and his friend from a break in at her home. As the PCs made their way through the lab complex and not only met 2 new NPCS to add flavor, faced acid blooded zombies and genetically modified and psychotically violent pseudo psionic maniacs and defleshed humanoids covered in a carapace and mutated into multilimbed horrors, faced the 2 large flesh golems (1 having a chainsaw weapon on one arm, and the other golem having a metallic arm that fire grappling wires and had a drill that came out in the center, drawing the PCs in), and ultimately facing the mutated captain ( and a good friend of theirs). After getting into the captain's head (both figuratively and literally), they managed to rescue the captain, but not before the mad scientist did (in typical over the top style) literally brought the lab down on them. Also, in typical fashion, he got away.

I had a basic idea for him then, but now i plan on bringing him back to vex the PCs, and i want to hear your ideas on how to make the most of this mad scientist. He created 2 golems and grafted them with some frightening weapons, so possibly some levels in Wizard and Artificer, though reading up on Fleshwarper certainly sounds appealing. Also, i wanna hear your ideas on how to properly roleplay a psychotic mad scientist, and ideas to add some dark humor to him (like Desty Nova's love of flan from Battle Angel) would be appreciated. No idea is too over the top.

D Knight
2008-12-31, 12:27 AM
Artificer will work for the mad scientist concept just make sure it has the right feats incase you have a rules lawer.

esorscher
2008-12-31, 12:39 AM
Libris Mortis has a bunch of feats for crafting undead, you could probably adapt them to serve your purposes. It also has feats to make grafts, which is useful for creating warped experiments.

Bastards and Bloodlines has the half-Beholder template, and rules for making other half-breed creatures. Could be an interesting direction to look into; maybe the mad scientist is crossing animals with people or something.

The Pseudonatural Template (Complete Arcane) can be applied to creatures also.

Dixieboy
2008-12-31, 01:39 AM
Well the races of renown thing is weird.

+4 to all stats? (Cannae remember which)

And why does everything get a + to INT, even half orcs? >>

Though you're right that it has a guide to mix monsters i am fearing a quite big level of broken for mooks

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2008-12-31, 01:53 AM
Fleshwarper from Lords of Madness would be fitting, maybe throw in Effigy Master from Complete Arcane for constructs. I'd make him a Wizard specialized in Transmutation.

Prometheus
2008-12-31, 03:28 AM
Ideas:
-Make the PCs fight zombie/golems/mutants that are crude replicas of themselves with similar roles.
-Two stage boss fight. Whatever magic-user/technology guy the PCs start out fighting, he raises/transforms as a hideous creature that they have to put down next.
-He attempts to shape the PCs psychologically (just as he shapes his creations) by deliberately showing them traumatic things and taunting them over an intercom like device. Perhaps his goal is to corrupt someone into resorting to something they usually would not (harming the innocent, desecrating the dead, destroying knowledge) or to screw with them enough to put a seed of madness in their heads.
-He has a personal reason for pursuing this. Maybe he is looking for power, but more likely he wants to have immortal life, the ability to resurrect a lost one, the ability to create the perfect being, have a true understanding of life and death, or to define what it really is to be human. Whatever it is, make it clear that he has gone overboard but make his "research" valuable enough that it draws the curiosity of the PCs.