PDA

View Full Version : So I Just Got a Job...

Ranis
2008-12-31, 12:54 AM
Doing something really cool. I now work for thegamingplanet.com, searching wordpress websites for new gaming stories and posting it to the main site, also reviewing games for them; the payment being I get to keep the games I review (which are mailed to me). The problem is, I've never been a "news-poster" before, just someone who looks at what has been posted.

So can anyone recommend me some good sites to traffic for news stories? Any suggestions or help is appreciated. :)

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-31, 01:14 AM
That depends, do they want serious reviews or entertaining ones?

If they want serious reviews, I'd open with a paragraph pointing out your expectations for the game, perhaps using evidence from previous games if its a sequel or other works from the company if it is from a well-known company. The next couple of paragraphs would include what you like and dislike about the game but not nit-picking every little thing. Then close with a summary or your feelings toward the game and maybe an overall rating of it.

If they want entertaining reviews, take the above and insert various curse words, insult the game at every turn and make obscure references to things only a geek would understand. The Zero Punctuation reviews would be a godo reference point for that only taking out the video aspect.

Also, how do you get such a job? I just got laid off today and need a way to feed my gaming habit.

Edit: On an off note, I realize that you live only a few miles south of me :)

Ranis
2008-12-31, 01:34 AM
The review writing I'm going to have no trouble with, it's the whole "I-have-no-idea-where-to-get-news-to-post" thing. Basically I need some websites I can check for mainly Xbox 360 and PC gaming news to post to the website I just got a job at and digg/n4g.com, which is also required of me.

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-31, 01:37 AM
Gamespot is usually up to date on whats going on.

Killersquid
2008-12-31, 01:45 AM
Kotaku can be good too, but they are usually a bit slow on the pick-up.

Cybren
2008-12-31, 01:57 AM
Read The Elements of Style. After every article you write.

grinner666
2008-12-31, 02:05 AM
Read The Elements of Style. After every article you write.

Shouldn't that be "before you post" every article you write?

:smallwink:

Cybren
2008-12-31, 02:11 AM
Shouldn't that be "before you post" every article you write?

:smallwink:
No, you write it first, since you've already read it. You read after writing it so you remember your article and thus any errors made in it.

Crispy Dave
2008-12-31, 02:12 AM
ign is always nice also try browsing the Sci/tech section of google news usually theres video game stuff.

also congrats

Tom_Violence
2009-01-02, 06:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, I know a few people that are looking to get into similar lines of work. May I ask how you approached the job market? If you could PM me as many details as poss I'd be eternally grateful!

Jibar
2009-01-03, 03:03 AM
And considering I've regularly enjoyed all your reviews posted here, I'd show up and say damn well done Ranis.
I'll have to keep up with what you do on gamingplanet.

Ranis
2009-01-03, 11:01 PM
I'll post in this thread whenever I get a new review up, how's that sound?

Crispy Dave
2009-01-08, 08:13 PM
I'll post in this thread whenever I get a new review up, how's that sound?

sounds good.

just for my curiosity what will your name show up as when you post?

Ranis
2009-01-08, 10:28 PM
My name will show up as DrewD.

Crispy Dave
2009-01-08, 10:32 PM
Ok im not seeing and signatures at the end of reviews so im going to assume their not you.