With the new year quickly approaching it is time the begin the debate:
Which is better pirate or ninja?

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-31, 01:16 AM
*Stares at you*

Yarr...what do ye think?

Phae Nymna
2008-12-31, 01:20 AM
I'm dragging three new factions into this!

The Spanish Armada

vs.

The Samurai

vs.

The Chief and the Calvary Men

vs.

Everyone Else in this stupid bloody conflict!

the quinn
2008-12-31, 01:20 AM
You have to look at it very hard
The more ninjas you have the easier they are to kill,
One ninja can destroy a ninja, but 1000 can beaten with an old man with a stick
However to pirates power only grows exponentially, as long it is above the minimum needed to man a ship,
its a hard call and need more input

BizzaroStormy
2008-12-31, 01:22 AM
So its basically...

Pirate vs. Ninja = Ninja wins

Pirates vs. Ninjas = Pirates win

the quinn
2008-12-31, 01:25 AM
as long as the pirates are in number of about 20 in order to man a ship

Killersquid
2008-12-31, 01:50 AM
So its basically...

Pirate vs. Ninja = Ninja wins

Pirates vs. Ninjas = Pirates win

The question is plural, therefore, Pirates win (and always win).

Graywolf
2008-12-31, 02:14 AM
Pirates all the way, every time.

Cubey
2008-12-31, 02:16 AM
Don't we already have Silly Message Board Games for this stuff?

the quinn
2008-12-31, 02:19 AM
Really, nuts all my ideas have already down by the silly board games!
This needs more discussion

dish
2008-12-31, 02:20 AM
Don't we already have Silly Message Board Games for this stuff?

Every now and again it escapes. Excess of festival spirit maybe?

Lorn
2008-12-31, 05:45 AM
You've got to look at this logically, really.

Definitions from Dictionary.com.

Ninja - a member of a feudal Japanese society of mercenary agents, highly trained in martial arts and stealth (ninjutsu), who were hired for covert purposes ranging from espionage to sabotage and assassination.

Pirate -
1 - One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation. (Or a ship used for this purpose.)
2 - One who preys on others; a plunderer.
3 - One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization.
4 - One that operates an unlicensed, illegal television or radio station.

So, it can be stated that not all pirates are peg-legged hook-handed guys with tricorn hats. It can, thus, be stated that Vikings are also pirates.

And, well, Vikings are Vikings... and also pirates.

Thus, I'm having to side with the pirates, because they can technically get Vikings on their side :p

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-31, 05:58 AM

Ninja - a member of a feudal Japanese society of mercenary agents, highly trained in martial arts and stealth (ninjutsu), who were hired for covert purposes ranging from espionage to sabotage and assassination.

Pirate -
1 - One who robs at sea or plunders the land from the sea without commission from a sovereign nation. (Or a ship used for this purpose.)
3 - One who makes use of or reproduces the work of another without authorization.

So, it can be stated that not all pirates are peg-legged hook-handed guys with tricorn hats. It can, thus, be stated that Vikings are also pirates.

Thus, I'm having to side with the pirates, because they can technically get Vikings on their side :p
Some pirates were also revolutionists.
Did you know the first real equality was with pirates? Where everybody was equal and got a equal share(even though captain got two shares).
And the bell was hung at the front, away from the captain's quarters to indicate power to the people, the crew.
Also, irish people, who migrated to America, and were the first thrown into slavery there(yes, before slaves came out of africa), were also free and equal among pirates.
Heck, even kids, if they had the guts, were equal.

Ofcourse this was the case in some pirate ships, not all.

And this was your annual lesson about pirates.

Boo
2008-12-31, 06:01 AM
*raises the red flag to ninja lovers*

If you don't get that, and you support pirates, then you should be ashamed. :smallannoyed::smalltongue:

SDF
2008-12-31, 09:21 AM
I chose a third party candidate.

Cowboys. Always cowboys.

notoriousdrb
2008-12-31, 11:27 AM
This debate is one of the most perplexing ones that i've come across in all my excursions on the interwebs. It is purely circumstantial, for instance. Say you have an armada of pirate ships, roughly 20 or so. Now during the day, clear skies, and mutiny free they would win hands down versus a similar number of ninjas. But say the ninjas wait till nightfall, now their primary objectives are subterfuge, sabotage, and assassination. A group of ninjas 1/10 the size of the pirates could easily cripple the armada within a few hours without the pirates being any the wiser.

In short, if you do bring up this debate, you should really include a scenario to judge.

But my vote in a general sense goes towards pirates.

Mr. Zook
2008-12-31, 11:40 AM
Ninja=win,
NinjaS=maybe win
I believe all of this is detailed in a very book called The Reverse Ninja Compendium. Basicaly, one super-badass person (eg. Master Chief or a ninja) will beat a larger number of not-quite-as-badass people (hunters or pirates). However, large numbers of super-badass people will lose to not-quite-as-badass people, even (and especialy) if the not-quite-as-badass people are out numbered.

Shanty Man
2008-12-31, 11:47 AM
Har! Har! Har! Har!
I'm a shanty man!
So what do you think?

Jalor
2008-12-31, 11:56 AM

Pirate -

But "pirate" also includes software pirates, who have inflicted SecuROM and Starforce copy protection on innocent gamers. Ninjas would never do such a dishonorable thing.

Not to mention "preys on others" can just as easily be literal; mosquitoes apparently are pirates. So we've got malaria and DRM against... espionage and assassination. Guess who's the evildoer here?

Crispy Dave
2008-12-31, 02:43 PM
5 pirates to the power of 2= -infinity ninjas

srry cant find infinity symbol and don't feel like tracking it down.

Collin152
2008-12-31, 03:15 PM
I say the Spanish Inquisition wins.

The Prince of Cats
2008-12-31, 03:27 PM
To be? (or not to be... hey, there were pirates in that play!)

The choice really is to live a short licentious life of wine, women, loot and infamy or a longer disciplined life of self-denial, poetry and anonymity...

Yarr! To me, mateys... Today... 'tis a good day to die...

(so.. Klingons seem to be pirates too, now I think of it...)

Hamlet, Star Trek and Princess Bride all point to pirates being best. A few badly-dubbed films and some dodgy console games point to ninjas being vaguely interesting...

Crispy Dave
2008-12-31, 03:34 PM
I say the Spanish Inquisition wins.

damn I never expected them.

Collin152
2008-12-31, 03:42 PM
damn I never expected them.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.
Their chief weapon is surprise, surprise and fear...

late for dinner
2008-12-31, 03:48 PM
General Custard....*blink* *blink*...never mind...I second the Spanish Inquisition

Athaniar
2008-12-31, 03:48 PM
I'm a neutral guy, I like both pirates and ninjas. I suggest they gang up on the evil Spanish Samurai Armada.

the quinn
2008-12-31, 04:03 PM
What about the oooo so crazy pirate ninja?

Crispy Dave
2008-12-31, 04:10 PM
What about the oooo so crazy pirate ninja?

I fought some of those in a Eberon campaign I am playing in.

Istari
2008-12-31, 04:10 PM
I vote we add robots, everyone is cooler with robots

Naleh
2008-12-31, 04:23 PM
1 ninja > ∞ pirates.

Really, how can you argue with something like that?

thubby
2008-12-31, 04:28 PM
it is a simple matter of tactics. assuming they have the same numbers, the ninjas just have to send in their operative one at a time, and upside down if possible (the ships rigging helps there)

Alleine
2008-12-31, 05:06 PM
I vote River Tam.

RandomNPC
2008-12-31, 06:33 PM
the dreaded ninja pirate, the shadow that comes in the night and says "Yar!"

here's a thought, pirates tend to lose linmbs and eyes at an alarming rate, however they survive. you never see a wounded ninja, thus they always die when injured.

also pirates don't hide their faces in shame.

Banjoist333
2008-12-31, 07:14 PM
Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html) makes a very convincing argument. I'm with the pirates.

OldSchoolGamer7
2008-12-31, 07:38 PM
Pirates. Drinking, traveling with the winds, loot, and women? Sign me up, yarrrrr!

Halna LeGavilk
2008-12-31, 07:41 PM
Totally pirates. Why? Because modern pirates get motion tracking, heat, radar, and all those fancy things plus guns. And they are allowed to be outside Japan, ya know? Ninjas are exclusively Japan, pirates are EVERYWHERE!

Spiryt
2008-12-31, 08:03 PM
Totally pirates. Why? Because modern pirates get motion tracking, heat, radar, and all those fancy things plus guns. And they are allowed to be outside Japan, ya know? Ninjas are exclusively Japan, pirates are EVERYWHERE!

And they're around since sea trade was invented!

EmeraldRose
2008-12-31, 08:10 PM
Pirate-Ninjas. (http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ninja_Pirate) :smallamused:

Yin-Yarr.

Ninja Chocobo
2008-12-31, 08:23 PM
I'll let my username speak for itself.
The real question is Romans vs. Mongols, only that's not a real question either because everyone knows the Mongols would kick the Roman's collective arse.

de-trick
2008-12-31, 09:03 PM
I chose a third party candidate.

Cowboys. Always cowboys.

Yes cowboys win, why because no matter 1 or 1000 they remain strong

darkblade
2008-12-31, 09:09 PM
Isn't it about time to put this old Ninja vs Pirate meme (that probably came from a long forgotten One Peice vs Naruto thread on some anime bored which is odd because they are their respective factions in name only) to rest. It is time we put these badass professions behind us and start asking about subhuman abnormalities.

Folks it is time to ask the real question. Mutants vs Vampires.

BisectedBrioche
2008-12-31, 09:21 PM
Haley (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0121.html) makes a very convincing argument. I'm with the pirates.

Haley fails to realise that ninja don't have a system of honor. They're basically samarai who don't have any qualms with using stealth, poison and the like.

If anything a ninja would honor a contract to assinate someone (even when bribed) because it would be good buisness practise (you hardly want an assassin that can be bribed against you after all).

Flame of Anor
2008-12-31, 09:23 PM
I'll let my username speak for itself.
The real question is Romans vs. Mongols, only that's not a real question either because everyone knows the Mongols would kick the Roman's collective arse.

Only in the Empire's declining years--for several centuries, the Roman legions were made of 100% concentrated badass. It was only when they started staying home and only hiring foreigners that didn't have real loyalties to the Empire that it started decaying.

/rabid ancient Rome fan

Pandaren
2008-12-31, 09:40 PM
as long as the pirates are in number of about 20 in order to man a ship

How would a ship help against ninjas.

Your argument failed.

Failtrain failed.

Ninjas all the way.

Pirates are in water, ninjas can be on boats and on land, and nothing stops them from leaving Japan.

Roland St. Jude
2008-12-31, 10:34 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: We don't do versus threads anymore, especially not content-free ones such as this. Happy New Year, though. Sheriffs rule.