PDA

View Full Version : [Spell Theme] Shiny

Gdrad
2004-08-11, 04:13 PM
"MY SHINY DON'T STEAL MY SHINY!" yelled the 5 and 1/2 foot tall Gnoll. The larger 7 and 10 inch Gnoll was somewhat suprised. This little runt dared yell at him, the runt never yelled like that before. The runt didn't even have a weapon. Angry the tall Gnoll punted the runt several feet and snarled "My shiny coin now". The runt couldn't stand it, it was his shiny. HIS. He found it. It was his. How dare the big Gnoll take away his shiny. The big Gnoll closed in and lifted his war axe he would not allow a runt challange him like that, especially not now that he was trying to become leader of the pack. Frantic the tiny Gnoll waved his little arms and started babbling incoherently. Completely obssed with this theif, this shiny stealer he didn't realize what he was doing. The fireball exploded sending both Gnolls, and the shiny coin flying. The tiny Gnoll immediatly got up. Where was his shiny? Where did it go? Blast the tall grass! I can't find my SHINY!!!!! He searched franticly for his shiny coin but couldn't find it. "I WANT MY SHINY!!!!!!" He yelled, suddenly he knew in which direction the coin landed. He hurried over and grabbed his shiny.

Of all the tales you could hear, this is perhaps one of the strangest. Now Gnolls are not the smartest of creatures, as is common for such a race. Howevere once, a rather small Gnoll pup found himself to be a sorcerer. He managed to create several spells of his own, learn common, learn to scribble ,and even gained some abilitys as a wizard. But he was obssessed with shiny objects. Anything that could hold a luster was his delight. In fact he gained a Wizards spellbook soley because the cover was covered in sparkling gems and gold. He had a poor memory and started his own spellbook after forgetting how to cast his most important spells.

Rodrick couldn't believe it. A Gnoll who could wield such high level spells. And WHAT ON EARTH CAME OVER THAT DWARF!!! "BROTTOR!!!! I know Dwarves have no better love then finly crafted metal, BUT QUIT STROKING YOUR SWORD LIKE THAT AND TELL ME WHY YOU STOPPED FI...." Wait, Brottor was under a spell?? What on was going on here?? Brottor was babbling on and on about how nice and shiny his axe was. Seeing the rest of the party was more or less okay, Rodrick decided to check the Gnolls body. He took several steps toward it and cooked his head. The damn thing yelled "MY SHINY!!!!" Before he dropped dead from that lighting bolt. "What was wrong with this creature. Its certainly a Gnoll but.." he trailed off when he noticed a spellbook near by. Leaning down he picked it up and looked through it. It belonged to Oscar, but Oscar dissappeared years and years ago....Those scribbles arn't Oscars writting....
This Gnoll died, to a party of adventurers, however the odd spells he had made survived as the party's Wizard took the Gnolls spellbook and studied it. After several alterations and improvements, the spells found their way into many a Wizards spellbook. Now these spells are often both a joke and an asset to adventurers.

These spells are ment for the locating, gathering, and use of Shiny objects. Altough it may not seem like much. Many party's have benefited from these odd spells.

For the purposes of the spells an object is considered shiny if it is sparkling, gleaming, or otherwise capable of a pretty alteration of light.
All spells have two names. The first one is what the Gnoll called it. The secound is what it is referred to by Wizards so they aren't laughed out of the party.

"Where is the shiny??"| Locate treasure
Divination
Level: 0 Sorc/Wiz
Components: V/S
Casting time: 1 action
Range: Medium
Duration: 5Min.+1min/lvl
Area: circle
Saving throw: no
Spell resist: yes

Although referred to as Locate treasure. This spell locates various objects in its area that are shiny. However, the caster may only concentrate on one objext at a time. The DM should roll to determine how well the caster is able to tell the difference between common objects and valuable ones. For every 2 caster lvls the ability to tell between something worthless and valuable should improve.

Gather SHINYS!!|Loose change
Conjuration
Level: 1 Sorc/Wiz
Components:S
Casting time: 1 min.
Range: 10ft
Area: Circle
Duration: 1 min/lvl
Saving throw: No
Spell Resist: Yes

The caster uses magic to draw varous small shiny objects. Every min. the spell is in effect, the DM rolls a D6 to determine effect. It is suggested the DM determines the maximum spare change in an area, and not allow gaining more then that. For example, in a forest their should be no loose change altthough their may be gems and spell components, and in a specific area of a city their may only be 6 sp in loose change, and no more may be gotton that way. Its like pick-pocketing in that you can't take more then what they victim had. If the DM desires use a D4 per person who wandered the path to determine hom much has been dropped. With a poor neighborhood dropping lets say cp, a mediocre one dropping sp, and a rich one dropping gp.

1: you gain something worthless like a paper clip
2: you gain a pretty stone, of little value. Note: less the 1 sp in value
3: you gain 1D10 cp
4:you gain 1D10 sp
5: you gain a spell component. Note component must be shiny, and less then 10 gp in value
6: you gain a small gem, of about 5 gp in value

MAKE IT SHINY!!|Gloss
Transmutation
level: 2 sorc/wiz
Components: V,S
Casting time: 1 round
Range: close
Target: 1 object or 1 creature
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

Only usable on objects/creatures that can hold a shine. For example, it could be used on a Dragon because its scales can hold a shine, but not on a filth covered peasent, will work on teeth. If used on an object it makes the object have a luster, and thus visually appealing. Will give a 5% bonus to the cost of any item sold under this spells effect. If desired when an object is targeted it can be "overcharged" and will let off a faint glow that can illumate a 5 foot radius. If used on a creature, it can either make a single part of a creature more visually appealing giving it a temporary +1 to its charisma, or it can target the whole creature making it glow as the object could. All creatures with an int lower then 6 must make a will save when they see such a glowing object, or fall into a trance (as a creature effected by the mesmerization of Stupify.)

SHOW SHINY!!| Reveal Object
Divination
Level: 3 Sorc/Wiz
Components: V,S,F
Range: Partial Unlimited (see explanation)
Target: shiny object that the caster has seen within 1 week/caster level.
Duration: 1/2 min/caster lvl
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell resist: Yes

An object also counts as seen if the caster saw it using Locate Treasure. The caster falls into a trance at the time of casting this spell if they are awoken from the trance the spell ends. The trance acts as if the caster was asleep and anything that can wake a sleeping person can end the trance. During the trance the caster can see everything within 10 feet of the object. The way the caster sees the area is magical and all regular darkness does not effect the ability to see. Because everything is percieved as glowing their is a 10% chance the caster will be blinded for 1d4 days. The caster while seeing the area around the object can make spot checks, search for traps, or anything that only requires looking.

SHINY APPEAR!!!|Summon Gold
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: 4 Sorc/Wiz
Component:V,S,F
Casting Time: 1 min.
Duration: instant
saving throw: no
Spell resist: no

The caster summons some random small shiny object. D6 determines success. Only usable once per day.
1:loose focus
2:nothing
3:some small shiny object of less then 1 sp value
4: 1d10 sp
5: 1d4 gp
6: a small useful object of less then 10 gp value.

Focus: 1d10 sp

YOU LIKE THE SHINY!!|Stupify
Illusion (figment)
Level: 5 Sorc/Wiz
Components:V,S,F
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Close
Target: up to 1 enemy within range per caster lvl
Duration 1 minute/lvl
Saving Throw: Will partial
Spell resist: yes

All creatures effected by this spell, that have an INT of 6 or below automatically become mesmerized by the shiny object that that is used as the focus. All creatures with an INT better then 6 that fail their Will throw, have their INT reduced to 6 and become mesmerized by the shiny object. Mesmerization lasts 1 round if object is capable of holding a shine, and additional round if object currently holds a shine, and additionally lasts 1 round/caster lvl if object is currently under Glosses effect. Mesmerized creatures fall out of their trance if they are attack, or if something otherwise occurs to break the trance. Int goes back up, 1 round after the effects of Stupify end for all creatures that this relates too.

Focus: A shiny object.

SAVE ME SHINY|The power of greed
Conjuration
Level: 6 Sorc/Wiz
Components:V,S,MF
Casting Time: 2 Rounds
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Fort Negates

The effect of this spell may be one of two things. First it may be used to heal by sacrificing gold. It is 50 GP per point of health healed. Secound it may be used to deal damage. It costs 150 GP per point of damage dealt. If the target gets a Natural 1 on their FORT save the GP is not sacrificed. Max 20 damage, 20 health.

Material Focus: the ampount of GP to be sacrificed.

BIG SHINY APPEAR| Summon Treasure Chest
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: 7 Sorc/Wiz
Component:V,S,XP
Duration: see text

Summons a Chest 6 ft by 4 ft. DM uses a D6 to determine contents.
1:Nothing
2: A monster of adequate size, CR 15.Or group of monster adequate size total CR 15.
3: D100 cp
4: D100 sp
5 D100 GP
6: a Magic Item of over 40 GP worth, but under 100 GP worth.

xp cost: 200 xp

WORSHIP THE SHINY!!|Greater Stupefy
Illusion(Figment)
Level: 8 Sorc/Wiz
Casting time 1 action
Range: Meduim
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: Wil

Any creature of INT lvl 6 or below, or a creature currently held by Stupefy, that is effected by this spell, defend the shiny object used as a focus with their lives. The effect on creatures lasts 1 round/caster level, and does not disrupt Stupefy. At will the caster may end this effect. The object used as a Focus, need not be held by the caster but must be within close range.

Focus: a shiny object

YOU ARE SHINY!!!!|Turn to Gold
Transmutation
Level: 9 Sorc/Wiz
Components: V,S,F,xp
Range: meduim
Effect: Touch
Target: 1 creature
Saving throw: Reflex
Spell Resist: yes

Turns the opponent to gold. gold is 500 per HD. The effected creature weighs 3x as much as they did before. The effected creature can not be resurrected, altough they may make a good gift. Reflex Negates. Can be restored only through a wish spell. The gold is immue to all magic except a Wish spell for 1 days/caster lvl.
Focus: something shiny.

Quick Trivia. I imagine the Gnoll Sorc/Wiz to talk like one of the Grunts in Halo.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-11, 08:06 PM
Gather SHINYS!!|Loose change
Conjuration
Level: 1 Sorc/Wiz
Components:S
Casting time: 1 min.
Range: 10ft
Area: Circle
Duration: 1 min/lvl
Saving throw: No

The caster uses magic to draw varous small shiny objects. Every min. the spell is in effect, the DM rolls a D6 to determine effect.

1: you gain something worthless like a paper clip
2: you gain a pretty stone, of little value. Note: less the 1 cp in value
3: you gain 1D10 cp
4:you gain 1D10 sp
5: you gain a spell component. Note component must be shiny, and less then 10 gp in value
6: you gain a small gem, of about 5 gp in value

First you can't have less than 1 cp unless you have special money values.
So 1 and 2 should be the same unless you mean 1 cp gained.
A way to use Gather SHINYS!!|Loose change to get rich: You could since no material component or focus, use it to be rich in a matter of days.
You get decent money 1/3 of time.
But its a nice ability, best used during off-time, helps get extra cash.

Videospirit
2004-08-11, 08:11 PM
well starbuck you can only cast it so many tiems a day but yeah it's essentailly free money.

Gdrad
2004-08-11, 09:36 PM
Yeah...thats the point, but I forgot to specify something.

Grey Watcher
2004-08-11, 10:47 PM
Well, yeah, but there are only certain situations where you can use it. I mean, casting it in the town square might not be a good idea, as this spell may choose to bring you some coins from someone's change purse, and then you suddenly find your party sandbagged with theft charges.

Gdrad
2004-08-11, 11:27 PM
Well, yeah, but there are only certain situations where you can use it. I mean, casting it in the town square might not be a good idea, as this spell may choose to bring you some coins from someone's change purse, and then you suddenly find your party sandbagged with theft charges.
hehe thats why theirs no Verbal component to that spell. Its just a quick hand motion and you keep moving.
Updated the spells. Added some spells and added a condition of the loose change spell.
Also I hope its obvous the reason that Wizards want these spells isbecause their get rich quick spells, and assist in the locating and retrival of treasure. Also I will be adding some more spells later including the one the fighter in the flavor text fell under...hehe I love these spells.

AngelSword
2004-08-12, 09:20 AM
Funny spells, indeed. However, you do need higher level spells in order to comply with the rules of the contest.

1.) You will be creating at least 4 spells. For sorcerer/wizard, cleric, or druid spell lists, create one each of the following:
• one 0th, 1st, or 2nd level spell
• one 3rd or 4th level spell
• one 5th, 6th, or 7th level spell
• one 8th or 9th level spell

Gdrad
2004-08-12, 09:53 AM
I know full well the rules. I just have other things to concentrate on and am adding spells somewhat slowly. Ill have the rest up in no time I promise. For now what does everyone think of whats up their so far?? good flavor??? Are the spells good for their lvl?? did I forget something??? should I have put in a focus or material component on one of the spells???

Gdrad
2004-08-17, 12:01 AM
WHEE I finished adding all the spells. UGH what an effort. Im really not certain how well balanced these are. The whole point is these spells should be easy money....making 10 spells isnt easy...

Starbuck_II
2004-08-17, 12:46 AM
SAVE ME SHINY|The power of greed
Conjuration
Level: 6 Sorc/Wiz
Components:V,S,MF
Casting Time: 2 Rounds
Range: Touch
Target: Creature Touched
Saving Throw: Fort Negates

The effect of this spell may be one of two things. First it may be used to heal by sacrificing gold. It is 50 GP per point of health healed. Secound it may be used to deal damage. It costs 150 GP per point of damage dealt. If the target gets a Natural 1 on their FORT save the GP is not sacrificed.

Material Focus: the amount of GP to be sacrificed.

Damage is only balanced by wealth...
But maybe Damage up to roll 1d10/ level, limited by roll and money cost. Could instead be 1d20/ level.

BIG SHINY APPEAR| Summon Treasure Chest
Conjuration (Summoning)
Level: 7 Sorc/Wiz
Component:V,S,XP
Duration: instant

Summons a Chest 6 ft by 4 ft. DM uses a D6 to determine contents.
1:Nothing
2: A monster of adequate size, CR 15.Or group of monster adequate size total CR 15.
3: D100 cp
4: D100 sp
5 D100 GP
6: a Magic Item of over 40 GP worth, but under 100 GP worth.

xp cost: 200 xp

I like it. balanced by xp cost and not too big a loot gained.

WORSHIP THE SHINY!!|Greater Stupefy
Illusion(Figment)
Level: 8 Sorc/Wiz
Casting time 1 action
Range: Meduim
Effect: Ray
Saving Throw: Wil

Any creature of INT lvl 6 or below, or a creature currently held by Stupefy, that is effected by this spell, defend the shiny object used as a focus with their lives. The effect on creatures lasts 1 round/caster level, and does not disrupt Stupefy. At will the caster may end this effect. The object used as a Focus, need not be held by the caster but must be within close range.

Focus: a shiny object

? You say instant but its 1 round/lv? Plz make up mind, okay :) But decent, as long as some duration other than instant.

YOU ARE SHINY!!!!|Turn to Gold
Transmutation
Level: 9 Sorc/Wiz
Components: V,S,F
Range: meduim
Effect: Touch
Target: 1 creature
Saving throw: Reflex
Spell Resist: yes

Turns the opponent to gold. The effected creature weighs 2x as much as they did before. The effected creature can not be resurrected, altough they may make a good gift.
Focus: something shiny.

Forever? You should specify Reflex Negate.
Are you dead? Can you be true resurrected?
This can be very powerful...
Also how about the creature is worth 1000 gold per HD, hehe (maybe 100 gold per HD if that too much).
I say this because its gold so sell the fiend!
This is very powerful, maybe an exp cost?

Gdrad
2004-08-17, 01:12 AM
Okay made some modifications.
1: I made a Max damage/health available. But its ment to be straight damage/health, no roll.
2: uhh yeah I was kind confused their with the instant too. Not sure what to do...Anyway its fixed now.
3: Balanced Turn to Gold. I figure the killing effect isn't that bad considering Disintergrate is a lvl 7 spell. Also the weight is to make it so after turning that Garguantuan Dragon to gold, you can't just cart the carcass aw.........wait theirs some magic abilitys to get around this hmmmm. Okay ill make it so Gold is immue to all magic except a Wish spell for 1 days/caster lvl. That outta keep the band o' PC's from turning your lovely BOSS into their personal coffers. Added XP cost to help balance also.

Thank you for your feedback.

I have also improved varous things with other spells.
hmm heres a quick rundown.
Locate treasure is to assist in dtermining where the phat lewt is in the dungeon.
Loose change is to assist in getting that small amount of money you need so the Fighter can get a better weapon and such. I added some things for the DM to consider so it doesnt get too powerful.
Gloss is simply to allow the creation of shiny objects and give a reason to do it, aside from the way it interacts with later spells. I can just see a party Wizard turning his staff all shiny to make the orcs go OOOOooooooo so that the rogue can sneak attack it to death.
Reveal Object is ment as a higher lvl locate treasure. To FURTHER assist in the locating and finding of Phat Lewts.
Summon Gold is ment to be a higher lvl loose change, and to be a bit of a gamling spell. Theirs a chance you get money, theirs a chance you loose it.
Stupify is to further increase the party Wizards ability to go "LOOK AT THE SHINY COIN" to save his hide from getting axe'd.
The power of greed is to give something to use all that gold for, when your out and about and can't buy stuff from a vendor.
Summon Treasure chest is ment to also be a bit of a Gamble with good rewards. Higher lvl summon gold.
G. Stupify is self explanitory.
Turn to gold is ment as the big bad spell. It is actually inspired by transmute which the new Warcraft 3 neutral hero has as an ultimate. It jsut fit so perfectly, and what better way to end you enemies life then by turning them into something you can use!

AngelSword
2004-08-17, 01:05 PM
For your 9th level spell, you might want to look at Flesh to Stone. I can't think of the level off-hand, but I'm pretty sure it isn't too high.

RufusCorvus
2004-08-17, 01:07 PM
The Power of Greed reminds me of all those Throw Coin abilities from Final Fantasy. :P

Gdrad
2004-08-18, 12:19 AM
hehe I won't deny the similiritys. However I was just trying to think of a couple more spells to make an even 10, when the idea of a caster healing himself with money hit me. I decided I could kill two birds with one roll by getting ambidex.....wait thats off topic. So I expanded it to include offense.

Also flesh to stone, thanks I knew their was a spell like that but couldn't figure out the name... Yeah thats caster lvl 6...but I think cause it turns them to gold which can easily be sold...the lvl would rise...then theirs the fact I said creatures this says creature made of flesh....hrm I made it a touch attack though...this is ameduim range spell....it has very little cost as far as its M is concerned.....hmm I made this reflex negates.....so if they can't dodge the touch the probally wont make the save right??? hmmm maybe I should take out the XP cost....
Okay lets see everyone. We first have Flesh to Stone a lvl 6 spell that says nothing about killing the target, Id wager some sort of dispel magic would cure the ailed person...maybe even a potion.
then their is Disintegrate which is Destruction lvl 7 and sor/wiz lvl 6...gmmm also has cheap M....and its a ray....saving throw is FORT partail...is it just me or is this spell a little too good for lvl 6 sor/wiz??? seems like the kinda spell only put in so that enemies could use it, doesn't seem like it was ment for PC hands....hmmm

So how can I make Turn to Gold good enough for lvl 9...remove XP cost? Mess with spell resist?? anything???

Also can anyone tell me wether or not the spells I mention are updated in 3.5. Disintegrate seems a little too good for its lvl. Flesh to Stone seems fine so long as its easy to undo...

eldersphinx
2004-08-18, 01:53 AM
6th level is generally the target point for "save or die" effects directed at a single target in 3E/3.5E - Disintegrate and Flesh to Stone as you've noted, and effects like Harm and Slay Living on the cleric's side. (Slay Living requires a touch attack and a save, but is only 5th level; Harm is a touch attack and no save. Evens out, more or less.) By the time you reach 9th level, your save or die spells are multi-target - see Weird, Implosion and Wail of the Banshee.

I'd rule a single-target flesh-to-gold effect a 7th level spell effect - the added utility of the target's body makes the spell better than Flesh to Stone. Not sure what I'd do to make it a 9th-level effect - maybe recreate the Midas Touch?

Hope this helps...

Gdrad
2004-08-18, 03:50 PM
hmmmmm......should I make it a ay that can effect multi targets then??? hmmmm or maybe allow it to work as touch against multi targets....anyone else have an idea??

Gdrad
2004-09-01, 01:08 PM
Pity, the contest has started and I never fixed my 9th level spell. I figure the greatest part about it is it needs a Reflex save, thus it can be highly effective against things that would otherwise shrug off such a spell. Still I was thinking about making it a midas touch deal, ah well I think its good.