PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] A coterminous Plane of Chibi?

newbDM
2008-12-31, 06:24 AM
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/beabf9ac.png

So I just showed this portrait of a character I made for fun to my former DM, and his revolted response to it (cuteness seems to be his cryptonite) along with me remembering a few recent threads on here got me thinking about this.

What if there was a coexistent and coterminous plane like the Spirit World (see Manual of the Planes), but instead of being more vibrant/colorful/in focus/real/etc it was all chibified instead? With everything from the people, to the buildings, to the NPCs/PCs, to the monsters, to the tarresque in chibi form? Perhaps make it a bit more "vibrant/colorful/in focus", with a bit more of an anime/cartoon inked tinge to it?

Perhaps everything simply goes down one size category to explain the mechanics?

Or is this idea just too silly/stupid to ever get off the ground?

I already made myself Candy Land/The Elemental Plane of Candy (thanks to your help, thank you guys/gals!), so this could be something new for me to work on.

Miraqariftsky
2008-12-31, 06:43 AM
I don't even know if it should be stattified... But I suppose massive Will saves should be in order... that, or San checks. Chaotic characters suffer penalties and Lawful ones enjoy bonuses against being overwhelmed by sheer cuteness.

If ye'd already made yerself an Elemental Plane o' Jolly Ol' Candy, then ye bally well can't go wrong with venturing out onto the Chibi/Manga front.

Learnedguy
2008-12-31, 07:11 AM
How about everyone is shrunk one to two size-modifiers when entering:smallbiggrin:?

Tengu_temp
2008-12-31, 07:12 AM
Chaotic characters suffer penalties and Lawful ones enjoy bonuses against being overwhelmed by sheer cuteness.

So alignment indicates whether or not you like cute things, hmmm?

This place should be called the Elemental Plane of Omake.

Miraqariftsky
2008-12-31, 08:08 AM
So alignment indicates whether or not you like cute things, hmmm?

This place should be called the Elemental Plane of Omake.

Not so much as such. Maybe it would be better put as the character's ability to remain stoic or succumb to the sheer deluge of emotions brought on by exposure to said plane?

Tengu_temp
2008-12-31, 08:19 AM
That makes more sense.

Also, being on such a plane should induce a -4 penalty to all checks requiring manual dexterity - chibis don't have fingers, after all.

newbDM
2008-12-31, 01:23 PM
I don't even know if it should be stattified... But I suppose massive Will saves should be in order... that, or San checks. Chaotic characters suffer penalties and Lawful ones enjoy bonuses against being overwhelmed by sheer cuteness.

If ye'd already made yerself an Elemental Plane o' Jolly Ol' Candy, then ye bally well can't go wrong with venturing out onto the Chibi/Manga front.

Will/San checks? Going mad due to cuteness? Seems like an interesting idea. :smallbiggrin:

However, would it make sense if it was only an initial thing? Like getting used to it/the initial shock. Perhaps after a few days/weeks/whatever their body/mind eventually pressurizes/adapts to it?

Also, what kind of DCs were you thinking, and how would you implement them?

p.s. I kinda figured chaotic characters would thrive here, while the lawful ones snapped...

How about everyone is shrunk one to two size-modifiers when entering:smallbiggrin:?

Actually, I was thinking of not changing PCs/NPCs who traveled to said plane, because I am thinking of doing a very unusual variant of the evil twin encounter.

But then again, does anyone have a chibi template, to slap on the regular Prime Material's PCs and NPCs? I save time, and get double the NPCs for my buck!

p.s. What do you think would happen if both counterparts made physical contact with themselves?

Also, being on such a plane should induce a -4 penalty to all checks requiring manual dexterity - chibis don't have fingers, after all.

That is a genius idea!

But do you mean the penalty is for the natives, or for visiting PCs/NPCs?

Tengu_temp
2008-12-31, 01:54 PM
That is a genius idea!

But do you mean the penalty is for the natives, or for visiting PCs/NPCs?

Either everyone, or only the visiting people if you think that the natives got used to their mitten-like hands and can perform tasks with them as fine as normal people with five fingers.

Mercenary Pen
2008-12-31, 03:36 PM
Will/San checks? Going mad due to cuteness? Seems like an interesting idea. :smallbiggrin:

However, would it make sense if it was only an initial thing? Like getting used to it/the initial shock. Perhaps after a few days/weeks/whatever their body/mind eventually pressurizes/adapts to it?

Also, what kind of DCs were you thinking, and how would you implement them?

p.s. I kinda figured chaotic characters would thrive here, while the lawful ones snapped...

Maybe you add a penalty against the DC and harsher effects every hour (with new saves at that frequency, or at DM discretion), until such time as you fail your save.

For example:

Darius Genericus, the Chaotic Good Rogue, fails his will save almost immediately, forcing him to take a full-round action running around going squee (yes, squee) every at the start of every encounter within the next three days.

Meanwhile, his stalwart comrade, Alexandris Straightmind, the lawful neutral Wizard, keeps himself to himself for days, holding out against the effects for longer than anyone else in his party. But when he finally goes, you hit him with so many conditions that the party cleric begins to wonder whether he should break out the Ring of three wishes- because he simply hasn't got enough healing left, and the wizard is already in the process of gouging his own eyes out with a ten-foot pole.

nightwyrm
2008-12-31, 03:51 PM
Even though call shots aren't in the rules, but when I look at your pic, I think "head shot".

Heck, head shots could be part of the special laws of the plane. Although all damage would be nonlethal since I don't think I've ever seen a chibi get killed.

Assassin89
2008-12-31, 04:13 PM
If anyone in the group has ranks in perform(dance), make said dance the humiliating one (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UX6e7sO1ss0). Chibis get a +2 circumstance bonus while Non-chibis get a -2 circumstance penalty.

AslanCross
2008-12-31, 08:24 PM
I think this could go either of two ways: A cute comedy campaign, or a Silent Hill-like horror with "nanodoubles" of everyone.

Malacode
2008-12-31, 08:50 PM
Chibi Template:

Chibi is an inherited template that can be applied to any Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid or Giant, hereafter reffered to as the base creature.

Size and Type: The creature gains the Chibi subtype. Decrease the creatures size category by one step. Do not recalculate the Base Attack Bonus, Saves or Skill points of the creature because of the changed ability scores.

Hit Die: The base creatures Hit Die immediately becomes a D6. Recalculate all hitpoints for the creature

Speed: Base speed is not changed

Special Attacks:

Cuteness (Su): This ability affects all humanoids within 30 feet of a Chibi. Those who look directly at a nymph must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or be affected with fascination 1D8 rounds. During this time they may only say "D'aww" and "Squee!". Any attempts to communicate will be ignored. The affected creature will watch the Chibi closely and imediately grin (Like this: :smallbiggrin:) should the Chibi attempt any action. A Chibi can suppress or resume this ability as a free action. Creatures with the Chibi subtype are immune to this effect.

Abilities: Chibi creatures have a +2 bonus to all charisma based checks other than Intimidate as long as they are interacting with non-Chibi.

Other:
Chibi creatures are automatically proficient with Clue Bats.
Confirmation of critical hits against a Chibi has a +2 bonus sue to the size of their head
All Chibi have a hidded extradimensional pocket somewhere on their body. This pocket may only ever contain a Clue Bat. Retrieving the Clue Bat from the extradimensional space is a free action (Maybe Immediate?). Anything else placed inside the pocket is immediately dumped at the Chibis feet.

LA: (Dunno, what do you think?)

Clue Bat:
Exotic Two Handed Melee Weapon.
Type: Bludgeoning
Hardness: 10
Damage: 1d8 (Nonlethal)
Critical: 18-20/x2
Special: A Clue Bat may only be used in retaliation to a percieved slight against the character wielding it. Any creature struck by the Clue Bat is immediately aware of whatever wrongdoing caused them to be hit. A large bump, 4 to six inches long and 2-3 inches in diameter forms on the top of their head, whether or not this was actually where they were hit.

Does that work for a template? More abilities maybe? Rules for the clue bat?

averagejoe
2008-12-31, 09:37 PM
Even though call shots aren't in the rules, but when I look at your pic, I think "head shot".

Heck, head shots could be part of the special laws of the plane. Although all damage would be nonlethal since I don't think I've ever seen a chibi get killed.

Actually, my first thought was something similar, but I interpreted it as critical hits being somehow easier against chibi. Perhaps weapons used against chibi have one added to their threat range, or threats to crit against chibi are automatically confirmed, or the confirmation roll gets +2. Something like that.

It occurs to me that chibi should be able to store things in hammerspace. Maybe every chibi has a hammer of some sort that they can conjure as a free action.

@Malacode: The +4 cha increase when interacting with non-chibis is kinda weird. As written they get the increase against chibi as long as they're interacting with non chibi. It might be better just to give them +2 to all charisma based checks made against non chibi.

Malacode
2008-12-31, 09:47 PM
Good point *changes*

Open to suggestions, after all it was done in three minutes tops. Change it as much as needed (And the auto-confirm crits would be easier than the Called Shot thing!)

newbDM
2008-12-31, 11:57 PM
If anyone in the group has ranks in perform(dance), make said dance the humiliating one (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=UX6e7sO1ss0). Chibis get a +2 circumstance bonus while Non-chibis get a -2 circumstance penalty.

LoL :smallbiggrin:.

But what exactly does the dance do?

edit:
I am now hearing this straight into new years...

Chibi Template:

Chibi is an inherited template that can be applied to any Humanoid, Monstrous Humanoid or Giant, hereafter reffered to as the base creature.

Size and Type: The creature gains the Chibi subtype. Decrease the creatures size category by one step. Do not recalculate the Base Attack Bonus, Saves or Skill points of the creature because of the changed ability scores.

Hit Die: The base creatures Hit Die immediately becomes a D6. Recalculate all hitpoints for the creature

Speed: Base speed is not changed

Special Attacks:

Cuteness (Su): This ability affects all humanoids within 30 feet of a Chibi. Those who look directly at a nymph must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or be affected with fascination 1D8 rounds. During this time they may only say "D'aww" and "Squee!". Any attempts to communicate will be ignored. The affected creature will watch the Chibi closely and imediately grin (Like this: :smallbiggrin:) should the Chibi attempt any action. A Chibi can suppress or resume this ability as a free action. Creatures with the Chibi subtype are immune to this effect.

Abilities: Chibi creatures have a +2 bonus to all charisma based checks other than Intimidate as long as they are interacting with non-Chibi.

Other:
Chibi creatures are automatically proficient with Clue Bats.
Confirmation of critical hits against a Chibi has a +2 bonus sue to the size of their head
All Chibi have a hidded extradimensional pocket somewhere on their body. This pocket may only ever contain a Clue Bat. Retrieving the Clue Bat from the extradimensional space is a free action (Maybe Immediate?). Anything else placed inside the pocket is immediately dumped at the Chibis feet.

LA: (Dunno, what do you think?)

Clue Bat:
Exotic Two Handed Melee Weapon.
Type: Bludgeoning
Hardness: 10
Damage: 1d8 (Nonlethal)
Critical: 18-20/x2
Special: A Clue Bat may only be used in retaliation to a percieved slight against the character wielding it. Any creature struck by the Clue Bat is immediately aware of whatever wrongdoing caused them to be hit. A large bump, 4 to six inches long and 2-3 inches in diameter forms on the top of their head, whether or not this was actually where they were hit.

Does that work for a template? More abilities maybe? Rules for the clue bat?

Thank you so much for working on that template for this!

Just a few questions:

Why only humanoids? What about things like chibi dragons, tigers, and the other creatures of the coterminous plane (as in, all creatures and locations have a mirror self there)?
Why change the HD? I do not realize the goal there.
I love the cuteness! But what if the creature gets attacked by the chibi?
What if we gave them a -2 to intimidate checks?
The Clue Bat is awesome, but what about giving female chibis a second one in the form of a mallet (like these (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=chibi+hammer)), which are used whenever someone is perverse to the chibi?
What about making the clue bat count as an attack of opportunity?

newbDM
2009-01-01, 12:09 AM
I think this could go either of two ways: A cute comedy campaign, or a Silent Hill-like horror with "nanodoubles" of everyone.

Why do so many people find chibis cruel and evil? :smalleek:

@Malacode: The +4 cha increase when interacting with non-chibis is kinda weird. As written they get the increase against chibi as long as they're interacting with non chibi. It might be better just to give them +2 to all charisma based checks made against non chibi.

I liked how you guys worked this out.

I was originally thinking of all chibis having an additional +2 to Cha and a -2 to Strength. But this +2 on charisma checks against non-chibis is so much simpler, much more to the point, and does not affect the monsters/races/entire world's mechanics in an overall way.

Assassin89
2009-01-01, 12:22 AM
LoL :smallbiggrin:.

But what exactly does the dance do?

Aside from its normal use, where the modifiers apply, it could also be used as a different ability

cute dance (Su): One per day a chibi may dance in order to stop the movement of the target. This ability affects all humanoids within 15 feet of a Chibi. Those who look directly at a chibi dancing must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or copy the dance of the chibi for 1d6 rounds.

newbDM
2009-01-11, 04:30 PM
Anyone know what planer traits I should give this plane? As in the Manual of the Planes?

I have been pondering this all week...

Aside from its normal use, where the modifiers apply, it could also be used as a different ability

cute dance (Su): One per day a chibi may dance in order to stop the movement of the target. This ability affects all humanoids within 15 feet of a Chibi. Those who look directly at a chibi dancing must succeed on a DC 17 Will save or copy the dance of the chibi for 1d6 rounds.

That is so wrong......yet why do I like it so?

Plus, I can just bring up the youtube video on my Macbook when needed!

But, can the PCs really take me serious if the chibi version of the BBEG tries to pull this off? (I am now picturing a chibi Darth Vader doing this for some reason..)

Assassin89
2009-01-11, 04:45 PM
Anyone know what planer traits I should give this plane? As in the Manual of the Planes?

A few suggestions for plane features:

Light Gravity (due to oversized heads) or Normal Gravity
Normal Time
No Elemental or Energy Traits (specific locations may have these traits, however)
Alterable Morphic
Mildly Neutral
Normal Magic

Moriato
2009-01-11, 05:29 PM
Light Gravity (due to oversized heads)

Heh, yeah, I was just thinking this as well. Otherwise they'd all be dragging their heads around behind them and the whole plane would be a lot more creepy than I think it's meant to be.

Also, maybe some sort of blindsight/blindsense since they never seem to open their eyes

Fiendish_Dire_Moose
2009-01-11, 05:43 PM
Well, the world would need to have living step ladders. As I can't see one of these "chibis" being able to reach over their heads to turn a door handle. Seriously, them things are like Jupiter.

JeminiZero
2009-01-12, 12:37 AM

I would like to point out that a Chibi can't actually perform that dance. Their hands can't reach above their heads and even if it could, they don't have hands to flap up and down.

Maybe use this dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMw66IeIQvg) instead.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-12, 12:44 AM
Depends on the chibi - Azumanga Daioh shows that chibis can indeed reach above their heads. And while chibis lack fingers, they do not lack hands per se - their hands are just mitten-like.

Also, maybe some sort of blindsight/blindsense since they never seem to open their eyes

Some anime characters have that, some don't. It's not even remotely chibi-related.

Salvonus
2009-01-12, 01:33 AM
The Clue Bat is awesome, but what about giving female chibis a second one in the form of a mallet (like these (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=chibi+hammer)), which are used whenever someone is perverse to the chibi?

... why would ANYONE be perverse to a chibi? Ew. :smallconfused: :smallyuk:

averagejoe
2009-01-12, 02:31 AM
Normal Magic

I only vaguely recall the Manuel of the Planes from reading my friend's copy, so I don't remember all of the traits. However, it seems to me that magic should somehow be cuter. At the very least the summon spells should summon chibi versions of the creatures. Buffs and debuffs should have pronounced visual effects. Debuffs possibly make them go swirly-eyed? Fire, frost, and lightning should have more cartoony effects. Bull's strength should make them go all muscly and strike bodybuilder poses, and something like this should happen when you cast eagle's splendor. (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/hikarunekomimi/Main%20Album%202/kaunismomoka5.gif) That's a trait of the plane, regardless of your chibi-ness.

On the chibi template: it seems like the existence of cuteness should mean that any fear effects, and possibly any charm effects, possessed by the base creature would not carry onto the chibi template.

newbDM
2009-01-12, 05:09 PM
A few suggestions for plane features:

Light Gravity (due to oversized heads) or Normal Gravity
Normal Time
No Elemental or Energy Traits (specific locations may have these traits, however)
Alterable Morphic
Mildly Neutral
Normal Magic

I only vaguely recall the Manuel of the Planes from reading my friend's copy, so I don't remember all of the traits. However, it seems to me that magic should somehow be cuter. At the very least the summon spells should summon chibi versions of the creatures. Buffs and debuffs should have pronounced visual effects. Debuffs possibly make them go swirly-eyed? Fire, frost, and lightning should have more cartoony effects. Bull's strength should make them go all muscly and strike bodybuilder poses, and something like this should happen when you cast eagle's splendor. (http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a270/hikarunekomimi/Main%20Album%202/kaunismomoka5.gif) That's a trait of the plane, regardless of your chibi-ness.

I love these ideas. Thank you guys. :smallbiggrin:

On the chibi template: it seems like the existence of cuteness should mean that any fear effects, and possibly any charm effects, possessed by the base creature would not carry onto the chibi template.

What do others think about this?

Based on what I have seen in this thread, I think some people find chibis scary as is...

Heh, yeah, I was just thinking this as well. Otherwise they'd all be dragging their heads around behind them and the whole plane would be a lot more creepy than I think it's meant to be.

Yes, picturing that is kinda creepy.

However, does that mean that chibis would be useless on other planes or other Prime Materials? What I was planning to do the first time I included Chibi World (what I name the plane, sort of like the other coterminous plane Spirit World) was that some freak accident (at the moment I am thinking the players break a magic item or artifact)switches the players with their chibi selves on Chibi World mid campaign. So, the players have to choose either to try to find a way back to their Prime Material, or continue the adventure/plot in Chibi World with the world, all the NPCs they knew, and even the BBEG are now in Chibi Form. Thus would also mean that the chibi version of the party is doing nearly the exact same thing/choice on the regular Prime Material simultaneously. Plus, I eventually want a PCs vs. Chibi World selves battle, or at least mix the groups up so they are divide into two separate parties, with all the same members, but half in each are chibi "doubles".

Some anime characters have that, some don't. It's not even remotely chibi-related.

I do not think that is a universal chibi trait either.

Depends on the chibi - Azumanga Daioh shows that chibis can indeed reach above their heads. And while chibis lack fingers, they do not lack hands per se - their hands are just mitten-like.

Very true. I think I will just keep the original dance as is. Plus, I don't think chibis are meant to follow the laws of physics to the letter anyway...

I would like to point out that a Chibi can't actually perform that dance. Their hands can't reach above their heads and even if it could, they don't have hands to flap up and down.

Maybe use this dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMw66IeIQvg) instead.

Oh, so that is where your avatar is from! I have wondered that every single time I saw one of your posts.

Also, slightly off-topic rant:
Ooooh, that is so cute! I so want to see that now. I just saw like ten of those clips. Just my style of anime.

Well, the world would need to have living step ladders. As I can't see one of these "chibis" being able to reach over their heads to turn a door handle. Seriously, them things are like Jupiter.

http://forums.gleemax.com/images/smilies/roflmao.gif

However, I was actually thinking the whole plane/world would be chibi. Everything from the buildings, to the animals, to the monsters, to the trees, to the the land features, etc would be chibi in size and theme. So think a world full of halflings and gnomes I guess.

But thinking about it, wouldn't this make the non-chibi PCs the equivalents of ogres in both size and power of said world?

Anyway, I am not very good at all describing things (although I imagine them quite well), so can you guys please tell me how you would describe this world to the PCs upon their arrival? And perhaps give me some ideas for words/phrases/descriptions I can use as they travel it?

Also, would making the description seem "cute" be a good idea? If so how could I do that, both in wording, and body language + vocal pitch/depth? And would the later be a bad idea?

Well, I did not mean it that way...

I believe that in anime such "perverse" actions are usually taken mistakenly by said chibis, or out of meanness, or out of a comic mistake of some sort.

But then again, knowing that there is something for everyone, and that everything is a fetish to someone (I can think of one specific genre of porn which proves this specific topic about "little people" IRL...), I guess some people find chibis "cute" in that way?.........

Also, I believe she makes a goood example of this:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/celestialkin/75cc6685.gif

Tacoma
2009-01-12, 05:12 PM
If they're smaller, their eyes, hair, and weapons should be normal-sized. Bigger, even. And their mouths can be normal-sized when they're shouting or laughing.

Does the sweat drop count as Create Water?

newbDM
2009-01-12, 05:17 PM
If they're smaller, their eyes, hair, and weapons should be normal-sized. Bigger, even. And their mouths can be normal-sized when they're shouting or laughing.

Hmmm. I like that. Plus, it would help keep chibi "doubles" on an even power level with the non-chibi versions (Or else I figured they'd be overrun and enslaved as an adorable slave race? Everyone in the Prime Material would have a pet Mini Me?).

What about in the chibi template, they all get the feat which lets you wield a weapon one size larger as a bonus feat? I do not remember which one it was, but I am sure one our members might know.

Mando Knight
2009-01-12, 05:28 PM
Maybe it would be better put as the character's ability to remain stoic or succumb to the sheer deluge of emotions brought on by exposure to said plane?

Or exaggerate it. Don't chibis usually have over-exaggerated versions of the normal characters' personalities? If you go with that idea, then the stoic character becomes The Stoic (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheStoic)... possibly delving into the realms of the Aloof Big Brother (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AloofBigBrother), The Spock (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheSpock), or Badass Longcoat (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassLongcoat).

The chibi characters should definitely fall further into the Five Man Band (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FiveManBand) archetypes... or be crammed into them if they don't follow them normally.

...Despicable..
2009-01-15, 08:36 AM

It's the heads. Guys dig the heads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRgOOCicy48&feature=related

Blackfang108
2009-01-15, 09:48 AM
Wouldn't this plane merely be a level of The Abyss?

Or the fabled 10th level of the 9 Hells?

newbDM
2009-01-15, 09:56 AM
Wouldn't this plane merely be a level of The Abyss?

Or the fabled 10th level of the 9 Hells?

Say what now?