PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] House rule help

Tusalu
2008-12-31, 07:54 AM
In the campaign I'm currently running, we're using a set of home-brewed house rules. The most important ones are:

You add your base attack bonus as a dodge bonus to AC
You only get to roll HD every odd level (1-3-5-etc.), at even levels you only get your CON bonus.
Armor adds damage reduction - from Unearthed Arcana (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/armorAsDamageReduction.htm)

We have found that this is pretty balanced, but there is one problem. When should damage reduction from armor apply? Sure, it reduces damage from a sword, but what about a fireball, or damage from falling?

bosssmiley
2008-12-31, 08:43 AM
Armour: protects 1/2 against energy effects, not at all against falling damage (ripped from WFRP - wonderfully subtle for being a 'system lite' game).

RandomLunatic
2008-12-31, 11:36 AM
Damage Reduction
A creature with this special quality ignores damage from most weapons and natural attacks. Wounds heal immediately, or the weapon bounces off harmlessly (in either case, the opponent knows the attack was ineffective). The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. A certain kind of weapon can sometimes damage the creature normally, as noted below.

Emphasis mine.

DR only protects from weapon damage. Fire is energy damage, and if you want to be fireproof, you need Fire Resistance/Immunity. Falling damage is not weapon damage, and therefore ignores DR.

Pirate_King
2008-12-31, 06:50 PM
I dunno, that's the technical rule, but I think half the DR working against energy damage wouldn't be broken in his set of homebrew rules.

Tusalu
2009-01-01, 11:32 AM
Thanks everyone, I think I'm gonna use half damage reduction against energy.