PDA

View Full Version : Colbert Report canceled!?

Jalor
2008-12-31, 11:49 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081231/ap_on_bi_ge/viacom_time_warner_cable

If a rate isn't agreed upon by 12:01 on Thursday, a massive amount of shows will be canceled. This means no more SpongeBob, Dora The Explorer, and The Colbert Report (NOOOOOOOOO!). The difference amounts to less than a penny a day, and Viacom has plenty of money already from the Rock Band franchise, but no. They want more.

*facepalms*

SDF
2008-12-31, 11:52 AM
Well, that isn't quite correct. The two specific cable companies are dropping all non-network Viacom channels, not the shows. Satellite and cable companies not owned by Time Warner (mine included) will still get all the channels. If it is cut off, it wont last long as those cable companies wont be able to stay in business if they lose ~1/3 of their channels.

notoriousdrb
2008-12-31, 11:54 AM
While it would be a major setback for the cable viewers..it could spur a new age of viewing! Webisodes could become more prevalent from the shows that are being cancelled. And while the loss of the Colbert Report would scar me for life, I could justify it with the removal of all that garbage that MTV throws at us daily.

Trizap
2008-12-31, 11:59 AM
no sponge bob?
no dora the explorer?

ALL RIGHT!!!!!!! those two idiotic shows DESERVE IT!!!!!!

however, no Colbert Report? its a high price to pay.......

Jalor
2008-12-31, 12:00 PM
While it would be a major setback for the cable viewers..it could spur a new age of viewing! Webisodes could become more prevalent from the shows that are being cancelled. And while the loss of the Colbert Report would scar me for life, I could justify it with the removal of all that garbage that MTV throws at us daily.

The MTV culture might persist just fine; the Colbert Report on the other hand dies without TV airplay.

Berserk Monk
2008-12-31, 12:25 PM
NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:smallfrown:

I've been away at college for the past few months so I haven't seen The Daily Show or Colbert Report in awhile, but I don't want to never see those shows again.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-12-31, 12:26 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081231/ap_on_bi_ge/viacom_time_warner_cable

If a rate isn't agreed upon by 12:01 on Thursday, a massive amount of shows will be canceled. This means no more SpongeBob, Dora The Explorer, and The Colbert Report (NOOOOOOOOO!). The difference amounts to less than a penny a day, and Viacom has plenty of money already from the Rock Band franchise, but no. They want more.

*facepalms*
Yay, Yay and I didn't have that anyway!
Yay, Yay and I didn't have that anyway!

Though this probably not dutch television, so sadly, spongebob and Dora The Explorer will most likely stay on my tv.

FdL
2008-12-31, 01:14 PM
The MTV culture might persist just fine; the Colbert Report on the other hand dies without TV airplay.

See, there lies the mistake of interpretation. Clearly to them TV has nothing to do with culture, it's just bussiness. This is old news too.

Then from a bussiness standpoint, MTV is selling their products better than Viacom or whoever.

SDF
2008-12-31, 01:33 PM
See, there lies the mistake of interpretation. Clearly to them TV has nothing to do with culture, it's just bussiness. This is old news too.

Then from a bussiness standpoint, MTV is selling their products better than Viacom or whoever.

Viacom owns MTV, and about a third of the telecommunications market. Of course it isn't really the problem the topic makes it out to be. The shows aren't going anywhere, it is just that a certain provider is dropping them due to contract disputes. Colbert isn't getting canceled, nor are any of the other shows listed.

FdL
2008-12-31, 01:58 PM
Viacom owns MTV, and about a third of the telecommunications market. Of course it isn't really the problem the topic makes it out to be. The shows aren't going anywhere, it is just that a certain provider is dropping them due to contract disputes. Colbert isn't getting canceled, nor are any of the other shows listed.

That's a good point. So this thread has no reason to be, then.

EmeraldRose
2008-12-31, 02:03 PM
Spike TV is currently running a trailer tag across the bottom of the screen for each show begging people to call and DEMAND that this not happen. :smalltongue: It's actually kind of funny, but if we lost the channels, there's many many shows I would miss...

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-31, 02:04 PM
Spike TV is currently running a trailer tag across the bottom of the screen for each show begging people to call and DEMAND that this not happen. :smalltongue: It's actually kind of funny, but if we lost the channels, there's many many shows I would miss...

CSI...I mean Spike TV is actually a channel I could stand to lose...

EmeraldRose
2008-12-31, 02:07 PM
Have you ever noticed when they show a 'marathon' on Spike, it's like the same 4 episodes shown over and over? :smalltongue:

Cristo Meyers
2008-12-31, 02:12 PM
Have you ever noticed when they show a 'marathon' on Spike, it's like the same 4 episodes shown over and over? :smalltongue:

Hey, if it weren't for Spike and TNT whoring out CSI and Law and Order respectively I never would've caught up with every single episode in the course of a single year...:smallbiggrin:

'Course, now Law and Order and CSI make me sick to watch, but hey.

I love how something that can be accurately measured in freakin' pennies can cause so much trouble in corporate America...

Lord Seth
2008-12-31, 02:15 PM
Y'know, you can just go to thedailyshow.com or thecolbertreport.com to watch episodes of those two shows if your cable provider does drop the channels. I mean, you have to wait maybe a day after they're shown on TV, but you can still see them. Plus, as the article mentions, they're going to try to put more of the shows online so people can see them even if they don't have access to the cable.

Of course, it doesn't affect me, as I don't get my cable from Time Warner anyway.

skywalker
2008-12-31, 02:18 PM
Spike TV is currently running a trailer tag across the bottom of the screen for each show begging people to call and DEMAND that this not happen. :smalltongue:

So is Nickelodeon...

I would miss Spike TV, it has MXC on it, altho I've pretty much stopped watching in favor of Ninja Warrior... What about the 007 marathons, tho? Spike has some decent programming.

I also stand in defense of Spongebob and Dora. Teaching kids even a hint of bilinguality is a noble goal, especially since research indicates that any language education before or around the age of 7 increases a child's chances of learning any language throughout the rest of life. So a kid who watches Dora not only has a better chance of learning Spanish, they have a better chance of learning French, German, Japanese, etc.

Spongebob... is better than anything else Nickelodeon shows. Have you watched that network recently? Ugh...

EDIT:
I love how something that can be accurately measured in freakin' pennies can cause so much trouble in corporate America...

Freakin' pennies add up. Really fast when you have subscription rates in the millions, and the pennies are adding up on a monthly basis.

puppyavenger
2008-12-31, 02:20 PM
hurray for me using a different channel!

assuming they don't own the Canadian carrier as well.

ah well, internet t the rescue!

snoopy13a
2008-12-31, 02:34 PM
They aren't being cancelled. Viacom is trying to play hardball with Time Warner by threatening to pull their stations from their lineup unless Time Warner gives them more money.

Mr. Mud
2008-12-31, 02:51 PM
I don't think that they will actually go through with this. I mean, whats a few pennies more a day, opposed to a loss of 14 channels? (TV Land is out the door too...). I think this is just cooperate money fight... I mean, Time Warner CEOs don't need another Gold-Plated Hummer do they? They better come to their senses. :smallyuk:. *crits on a 1d4 plamface for 457 damage and dies*

EDIT: Heh, oh wait, I don't have Time Warner. For everyone who does, party at my place :smallamused:!

snoopy13a
2008-12-31, 03:51 PM
I don't think that they will actually go through with this. I mean, whats a few pennies more a day, opposed to a loss of 14 channels? (TV Land is out the door too...). I think this is just cooperate money fight... I mean, Time Warner CEOs don't need another Gold-Plated Hummer do they? They better come to their senses. :smallyuk:. *crits on a 1d4 plamface for 457 damage and dies*

EDIT: Heh, oh wait, I don't have Time Warner. For everyone who does, party at my place :smallamused:!

Time Warner would pass on the costs to the customers. I suppose part of their worry is that some people might cancel. They also may want to hold the line to discourage Disney from doing the same thing with their networks (I believe ESPN is the most expensive of the standard cable networks) next year.

These things aren't always resolved though. For example, the NFL network isn't carried by standard Time Warner cable. Luckily, no Giants games were on the NFL network this year. However, I remember two years ago when the Giants' last regular seaon game, which they needed to win to make the playoffs, was on the NFL network and I couldn't watch it (I hate the NFL network).

Sneak
2008-12-31, 03:54 PM
I didn't read the article, but somehow I doubt that The Colbert Report is just going to get canceled without warning.

Mr. Mud
2008-12-31, 04:15 PM
Time Warner would pass on the costs to the customers. I suppose part of their worry is that some people might cancel. They also may want to hold the line to discourage Disney from doing the same thing with their networks (I believe ESPN is the most expensive of the standard cable networks) next year.

These things aren't always resolved though. For example, the NFL network isn't carried by standard Time Warner cable. Luckily, no Giants games were on the NFL network this year. However, I remember two years ago when the Giants' last regular seaon game, which they needed to win to make the playoffs, was on the NFL network and I couldn't watch it (I hate the NFL network).

I remember that game!! I don't have the NFL network either (I we missed a ton of good games this season... but I digress) but I was at my grandfather's house that particular night. It was a great game, it really was... I've always wondered what the NFL Network does in the offseason... because there is only so much training camps/trading/season's predictions one can do in the span of 8 months... And then the draft and signs of free agents and such, but I mean does that really fill up the time slots? Or do they just jam pack it with Classic Games?

By the way, did anyone see the 'Weirdest Game Ever Played' special on Sportscenter this mourning? I think it was the Bears at the Seahawks, with tons and tons and tons of mist... so much so Ole' Holmgren couldn't even see out to the hash marks...

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-12-31, 05:57 PM
This is just one more sign that Time Warner isw seriously floundering. In most states, Time Warner was bought out by Comcast (which costs more, and had fewer channels until now). I reiterate what some have said an it's not that the shows are being canceled, those specific channels are being dropped from the Time Warner lineup. But, since Time Warner doesn't exist here in Minnesota anymore, I'm not really worrying about it.

Mr. Mud
2008-12-31, 05:59 PM
This is just one more sign that Time Warner isw seriously floundering. In most states, Time Warner was bought out by Comcast (which costs more, and had fewer channels until now). I reiterate what some have said an it's not that the shows are being canceled, those specific channels are being dropped from the Time Warner lineup. But, since Time Warner doesn't exist here in Minnesota anymore, I'm not really worrying about it.

Waitttt. So if I have Time Warner that was bought by comcast, am I still okay :smalleek:? Come back Colbert, Come backkkkkk :smallwink:.

@V: Yeah, I loved it at the beginning, I think they just ran out of ideas... Anyone remember Hey Arnold or Doug's Life? Those are two really distinctive shows of my childhood :smalltongue:.

Flame of Anor
2008-12-31, 06:03 PM
SpongeBob isn't a stupid show! Well...at the beginning it wasn't...

BRC
2008-12-31, 06:24 PM
Nation! I am FURIOUS that this is happening!
It had to be said.

de-trick
2008-12-31, 08:57 PM
RAGE

So I have my first show to protest, to come back, now will I go with a petition, or shall I take it to the extreme and burn myself alive:smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2008-12-31, 09:21 PM
It won't last long if it even happens at all.

KnightDisciple
2008-12-31, 10:55 PM
Wait, why are people getting ticked at Time Warner? They're trying to keep customer costs down and such. Viacom is the one arbitrarily raising prices. Now, if you're blaming TW for being stubborn or some such, I could maybe see it. But money grubbing? Not really. Not any more than they were before, at any rate.

Innis Cabal
2009-01-01, 12:26 AM
It is now 12:26, happy new years.

Oh ya. Didn't happen. And it won't. No need to fear.

TigerHunter
2009-01-01, 02:52 AM
It is now 12:26, happy new years.

Oh ya. Didn't happen. And it won't. No need to fear.
*wipes sweat off of brow*