PDA

View Full Version : Counter spell sorcerer

Darth Stabber
2008-12-31, 02:01 PM
I've played a Sorc that used improved counterspell alot, but How would I actually build a sorc to focus almost singlemindedly on such a thing.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-31, 02:08 PM
Well, the thing is, a Sorcerer cannot have ALL spells available, but CAN have at least one spell per school available, so Improved Counterspell is a must.

Even better is using Dispel Magic and Greater Dispel Magic to counter spells with.

While difficult to meet requirements for a Sorcerer, the Archmage High Magic ability "Master of Counterspelling" returns spell to sender, postage due. "Here, not only am I *NOT* affected, but you can have it back"

Learnedguy
2008-12-31, 02:23 PM
If you could figure out how to make the Heighten spell metamagic feat into a standard action it would probably help easing the pain of picking the right spells.

Coupled with improved metamagic you should be able to heighten a spell to counterspell a higher level spell of the same school.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-31, 02:28 PM
If you could figure out how to make the Heighten spell metamagic feat into a standard action it would probably help easing the pain of picking the right spells.

Coupled with improved metamagic you should be able to heighten a spell to counterspell a higher level spell of the same school.

Several ways of doing this:

1) Take the PhB II variant which lets you cast metamagic without penalty a limited number of times per day (int based)

2) Take the feat Rapid Metamagic from Complete Mage, which does the same, only unlimited, but it blows a feat which could have been used on metamagic

Zeful
2008-12-31, 02:52 PM
Several ways of doing this:

1) Take the PhB II variant which lets you cast metamagic without penalty a limited number of times per day (int based)

2) Take the feat Rapid Metamagic from Complete Mage, which does the same, only unlimited, but it blows a feat which could have been used on metamagic

3) Use the 3.0 metamagic ruling and just do it.

ShneekeyTheLost
2008-12-31, 03:56 PM
3) Use the 3.0 metamagic ruling and just do it.

We're actually trying to NOT cheat here, though...

Fax Celestis
2008-12-31, 04:05 PM
Talk to you DM about letting you use the Noctumancer PrC from Tome of Magic, using the "Adaptation" paragraph.

Zeful
2008-12-31, 04:13 PM
We're actually trying to NOT cheat here, though...

I find the 3.5 spontaneous metamagic restriction to be arbitrary, so I don't consider it cheating. In my view, my point still stands.

Epinephrine
2008-12-31, 04:33 PM
Spells
Duelward
Battlefield perception

Reactive Counterspell can be nice, if you allow Player's Guide to Faerun.

The main way to counterspell though is to have dispel magic readied a lot.

A guide to dispelling is available here
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1017175