PDA

View Full Version : [Any] Things you've always wanted to DM

infinitypanda
2008-12-31, 04:01 PM
Title says it all. What have you always wanted to DM, but never managed to fit into your campaign?

I for one have always wanted to roleplay a group of Pikeys selling a wagon to the PCs, like from Snatch. I definitely wouldn't be able to get the voices right, but it would be fun enough to not matter. How about you guys?

Lert, A.
2008-12-31, 04:12 PM
Low level adventurers in the plains filled with giant anthills, the ants of which explode when stepped on for 1d3 damage +1 for every additional ant.

I'm usually not so cruel, but there are times that I want to be.

Egiam
2008-12-31, 04:46 PM
Blood war on the Material Plain. 'Nuff said.

LibraryOgre
2008-12-31, 04:54 PM
A decent group. [/rimshot]

Seriously, though, I've long wanted to do a thief campaign. Light armor, assassinations, burglary... the odd enforcement job.

I'd also like to try an all-dwarf game for once, with people playing dwarves, instead of short humans.

AmberVael
2008-12-31, 05:07 PM
I've always wanted to run a fairy tale game. You know, like something out of fables and the old, good stories that you'd hear before bed.
It would have to be just the right level of suspension of disbelief, fantasy, and seriousness though. I wouldn't want to run something too silly.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-12-31, 05:12 PM
Swords and Sorcery style D&D set in a world where the apocalypse happened 2 or 3 hundred years previous in modern day. Things like ancient ruins that are actually NY or LA.

A thieves game, a group of adventurers who use skulldaggery and stealth to gain big piles of gold. Think Lies of Locke Lamora.

A psychonauts game. A group of psionic characters travel throughout the astral plane and a small town delving into the minds of a few people with psychological problems they need to solve to get to the end of a bigger puzzle or problem.

Angels v. Devils or Demons. Run two groups that I'll write as interacting with one another, usually in combat. Likely put a scenario in where they have to team up.

Cybren
2008-12-31, 05:15 PM
A campaign that lasts more than four sessions

Tadanori Oyama
2008-12-31, 05:22 PM
A campaign that lasts more than four sessions

A session with players who'll spend with more than five minutes in character.

adanedhel9
2008-12-31, 05:28 PM
I've got the idea of a Riverworld game stuck in my head at the moment. Several years ago the Sci-fi channel aired a movie based on the series (this was my first exposure to Riverworld), and my very first thought when watching it was "This would be the perfect game setting!" I'd forgotten it for a while, but I've recently read the books and now am all pumped again to run such a game.

Except that I'm already well into a campaign, and I don't want to divert my attention from that yet. And I don't know if I could convince my sword-and-sorcery players to branch out... but it would be awesome.

arguskos
2008-12-31, 05:34 PM
A session with players who'll spend with more than five minutes in character.
^^^this.

Also, a session with an active volcano that matters to the session. That'd be pretty awesome (esp when the Large monsters w/ Awesome Blow show up)! :smallamused:

Maxymiuk
2008-12-31, 05:34 PM
A Fading Suns campaign.

Barring that, a D&D session that doesn't give me a headache.

Tadanori Oyama
2008-12-31, 05:43 PM
Also, a session with an active volcano that matters to the session. That'd be pretty awesome (esp when the Large monsters w/ Awesome Blow show up)! :smallamused:

A campaign with a magically inverted "volcano" that is errupting ice. Or a magical combination of hurrican and earthquake that causes the ground to explode upwards and swirl around.

arguskos
2008-12-31, 05:49 PM
A campaign with a magically inverted "volcano" that is errupting ice. Or a magical combination of hurrican and earthquake that causes the ground to explode upwards and swirl around.
Actually, that's pretty neat too!! I like your style sir.

graymachine
2008-12-31, 05:57 PM
An undead-only campaign.

A group that would make it through the Tomb of Horrors from start to finish.

A game with the PCs playing the gods of old reborn (a game another DM ran.)

An antediluvean game that lasts until Gehenna.

Several others.

infinitypanda
2008-12-31, 06:00 PM
An undead-only campaign.

A group that would make it through the Tomb of Horrors from start to finish.

A game with the PCs playing the gods of old reborn (a game another DM ran.)

An antediluvean game that lasts until Gehenna.

Several others.

In my experience the 3.5 Tomb of Horrors is more boring than scary, at least if you have a Bag of Tricks to trip almost all of the traps. Then it's just annoying stuff like that big locked door puzzle hallway.

arguskos
2008-12-31, 06:05 PM
In my experience the 3.5 Tomb of Horrors is more boring than scary, at least if you have a Bag of Tricks to trip almost all of the traps. Then it's just annoying stuff like that big locked door puzzle hallway.
That's why you mix it up by changing up the traps, installing some new ones (I like Spell Turrets of annoying spells, like Incendiary Slime, Web, what-have-you), and generally breaking out all the cheesy tricks you know to stymie players. That's the whole point after all.

infinitypanda
2008-12-31, 06:11 PM
That's why you mix it up by changing up the traps, installing some new ones (I like Spell Turrets of annoying spells, like Incendiary Slime, Web, what-have-you), and generally breaking out all the cheesy tricks you know to stymie players. That's the whole point after all.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.

arguskos
2008-12-31, 06:13 PM
Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
Well, the Tomb of Horrors is about being a cheese-tastic BASTARD, so if you aren't being cheesy, you are doing it wrong. :smallbiggrin:

Dr Bwaa
2008-12-31, 06:14 PM

These exist! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryovolcanism)
Soooooooo good!

Tadanori Oyama
2008-12-31, 06:21 PM
These exist! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryovolcanism)
Soooooooo good!

Putting the awesomeness of that fact aside for a moment, how the hell do you know about something like that?

Starsinger
2008-12-31, 06:22 PM
Swords and Sorcery style D&D set in a world where the apocalypse happened 2 or 3 hundred years previous in modern day. Things like ancient ruins that are actually NY or LA.

Like Thundarr the Barbarian?

Vortling
2008-12-31, 06:25 PM
Games I'd like to run:

A steampunk special ops game a la League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

A oriental campaign based off eastern mythology.

A silly golden age supers game.

A monsters D&D campaign.

A bog standard dungeon crawl.

A TMNT game.

Any game in the Rifts universe.

Bonecrusher Doc
2008-12-31, 08:14 PM
A game where players create characters thinking they're going to be used in a modern setting, then I plunk them into a traditional medieval/fantasy setting to see how they adapt and overcome with their poorly-designed characters.

JaxGaret
2008-12-31, 08:18 PM

That would be the Shannara 'verse, though it's been more than a few hundred years since the Great War IIRC.

JaxGaret
2008-12-31, 08:20 PM
A game where players create characters thinking they're going to be used in a modern setting, then I plunk them into a traditional medieval/fantasy setting to see how they adapt and overcome with their poorly-designed characters.

:smallbiggrin:

I like it.

slexlollar89
2008-12-31, 08:36 PM
An awesome pirate/aquatic campaign. With really cool colonial style empires and swashbuckling drunks and crazy pirates.

Also I want to DM an character immersive evil campaign (like where players are complex evil people and not pyromaniacs or "stoopid oger stab yoo!")

Grail
2008-12-31, 08:50 PM
Games that I've come close to running, but haven't - coz I've been busy running other games.

Post Apocalyptic Space Zombie game. Not a silly one, but dark, doomed to failure kind of game. True horror.

Where the characters are Gods, but have been thrown out of heaven and inhabit mortal forms.

Jedi on the run.

Cthulhu meets Cloverfield. Cultists summon Cthulhu, he arrives cloverfield style. Hilarity ensues.... for me.

JaxGaret
2008-12-31, 08:50 PM
Also I want to DM an character immersive evil campaign (like where players are complex evil people and not pyromaniacs or "stoopid oger stab yoo!")

So you basically just don't want any Chaotic Insane characters.

Cthulhu meets Cloverfield. Cultists summon Cthulhu, he arrives cloverfield style. Hilarity ensues.... for me.

Cthulhufield? :smallsmile:

Grail
2008-12-31, 08:56 PM
Cthulhufield? :smallsmile:

Pretty much. I'd get the characters to make characters who were detectives or Private Investigators or something, and run them through a series of murders, disappearances etc, not letting on that it was going to turn out to be anything close to a cthulhu game. Then, bam, they come across the cultists.... a scuffle ensues, and then one cultist as he is dying, blood running from the corner of his mouth just laughs.... "it's too late............."

Hopefully the players would get caught up in it being a modern day kind of investigative, crime game for a couple sessions to have them lower their guard and then BAM!

Flickerdart
2008-12-31, 09:12 PM
You can easily have a pyromaniac that also happens to be a complex person. It isn't even hard, and now I want to play one. I'm pretty sure it's also possible to have a complex stupid ogre, but that probably won't be very rewarding.

Zocelot
2008-12-31, 09:42 PM
I'd also like to try an all-dwarf game for once, with people playing dwarves, instead of short humans.

The scottish accents would drive me nuts before a single session was up.

wadledo
2008-12-31, 09:54 PM
A game with giant halfling transforming ninja scorpions, dwarf slave taking druids who use water elementals to raise boats into their secret extinct volcano necropolis, a pair of swordsage/telepath half-fiend/half-celestial twins(fraternal, but both female) who change clothing and act like the other to mess with love struck guys, a massive D-day scenario, with the bad guys being the ones who try to take the beach.

Actually, I could probably turn that last one into a one-shot.

Grail
2008-12-31, 09:55 PM
The scottish accents would drive me nuts before a single session was up.

that's something that pisses me off... why do people insist on dwarfs having bad scottish accenets? why can't they play them with cockney soccer thug accents instead? or south african accents? or eskimo accents?

Alleine
2008-12-31, 10:15 PM
that's something that pisses me off... why do people insist on dwarfs having bad scottish accenets? why can't they play them with cockney soccer thug accents instead? or south african accents? or eskimo accents?

Because everyone knows how to do bad scottish accents?

chiasaur11
2008-12-31, 10:21 PM
Because everyone knows how to do bad scottish accents?

And if they did cockney, people would confuse them with Orks.

Grail
2008-12-31, 10:25 PM
what about swedish accents then?
Oooh, American accents..... everyone knows how to do lame american accents.

Alleine
2008-12-31, 10:28 PM
what about swedish accents then?
Oooh, American accents..... everyone knows how to do lame american accents.

I dunno, lame american accents aren't really exciting, I should know, I am American. Plus all I know is California surfer :smalltongue:

Grail
2008-12-31, 10:31 PM
A California Surfer Dwarf Barbarian would be cool.

Gnarly Dragon dude, woah.

Alleine
2008-12-31, 10:36 PM
I must do this now :smallbiggrin:

Shadow_Elf
2008-12-31, 10:39 PM
A California Surfer Dwarf Barbarian would be cool.

Gnarly Dragon dude, woah.

His mount has to be a skateboard. And he has to max Mounted Combat :smallbiggrin:.
He also has to multiclass one level of ranger for "Favoured Enemy: Water"

TheEmerged
2008-12-31, 11:11 PM
I am a lucky man. I've been able to DM or play in a few of these. This includes the immersive evil campaign with complex characters and the 'create modern characters then drop them in a fantasy world' are the two I remember fondly. I've also done the "fantasy world that is actually the distant future", AKA Thundarr The Barbarian, a couple of times. I played in a "everyone is a rogue" campaign once a looong time ago.

The one I'd like to play but haven't been able to pull off is a time traveller one. You know, the standard "PC's have to run around preventing history from being changed, or visiting alternate history regularly" cliche. See, I'm a big history buff but the players don't share that enthusiasm with me.

Dacia Brabant
2009-01-01, 12:07 PM

You can thank John Rhys-Davies and Peter Jackson for that, though I'm not sure why exactly they decided to characterize Gimli as Scottish. Dwarves as written were generally gruff, terse speakers though, maybe they thought Scotch English captures that sound better than other accents. Just be thankful they didn't go with it as originally conceived by Tolkien (and, maliciously, by Wagner) as Proto-Semitic. Ugh, without even getting into the sensitive issues, can you imagine how bad it would be if all dwarves spoke with Yiddish accents?

Which reminds me, ever since reading the Silmarillion I have always wanted to GM a game set in the First Age of Middle-earth, depending on tone either (nice high fantasy-ish) years before the Battle of Unnumbered Tears or (grimdark) years after it.

Limos
2009-01-01, 12:20 PM
I've always wanted to DM a Monster race campaign. But only the little monsters.

Preferably I would want Goblins, Kobolds, and Gnolls. Then they would fight lots of Adventurers.

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-01, 12:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it's also possible to have a complex stupid ogre, but that probably won't be very rewarding.

Trust me, it's not. :smalltongue:

Anyway, I've been wanting to DM a game set in the Abyss, before the rise of the tanar'ri. The Age Before Ages seems like a very interesting, if somewhat dangerous setting for a campaign.

Asheram
2009-01-01, 03:37 PM
Post Apocalyptic Space Zombie game. Not a silly one, but dark, doomed to failure kind of game. True horror.

A Dead Space D&D Campaign... I'm getting tears in my eyes from the beauty of it.

Tsotha-lanti
2009-01-01, 04:02 PM
You can thank John Rhys-Davies and Peter Jackson for that, though I'm not sure why exactly they decided to characterize Gimli as Scottish.

The Scottish dwarf is a far older trope, from the early 90s or the 80s at least. Warcraft 2 had it already, and they didn't invent it.

Anyway, er, I've got a load of things. I always plan campaigns and games and never really get to run the vast majority of them.

A RuneQuest campaign centering on Snakepipe Hollow, in the style of the Dorastor campaign but with my own insane Chaos monstrosities and mysteries. Beware the King of Ginijji!

An Indiana Jones -flavored Cthulhu campaign where the PCs travel all over the globe thwarting the Thule Society.

A proper Ravenloft campaign.

A HeroQuest campaign using the Sartar Rising material. The Battle of Iceland just makes me cream my pants, as a story.

A partly-generational LotR campaign from 1408 to 1640 and beyond, as a continuation/re-imagining of our Middle Earth (MERP/RM) campaign running for 10+ years now.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-01, 11:14 PM
I've always wanted to do a comedic campaign. Like five minutes ago I was looking though some of my old papers when I found a list of fictional place I'd like to develop and possible have PCs explore:

Ghostburg
Hamsterburg*
Gerbil Town*
Deathburg
Spider Town**
Spider Land**
Swordville
Dungeonville

*These two places are at war.
**I'm not sure if these are the same things, or one is part of the other, or if they're located in two completely different locations.

Inyssius Tor
2009-01-01, 11:34 PM
The Scottish dwarf is a far older trope, from the early 90s or the 80s at least. Warcraft 2 had it already, and they didn't invent it.

Yeah (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OlderThanTheyThink).

I can push it back thirty or forty more years, to Three Hearts and Three Lions (published 1953).

Hunter Noventa
2009-01-02, 12:33 AM
I've never DMed, but I've always wished I could do a Suikoden based game. I've worked out countelss ways to do runes and weapon sharpeneing and all that in my head, but never gotten it onto paper. It would be so great if I could just pull it together.

graymachine
2009-01-02, 11:41 AM

They should be sent on a epic quest by King Rockbeard Beardrock of the Beardrock Rockbeards.

DigoDragon
2009-01-02, 12:57 PM

I have a similar idea, a fantasy world largely powered by magic and steam engine tech. Higher technology either doesn't work or can weakly work in certain areas. The main antagonist are the decendants of an alien race trying to figure out what force prevents technology from working and then undo it so that their ancient ships work again. Currently trying to work out a system where magic and technology are opposing forces that don't like working near each other.

Another game idea I've always wanted to do was use a system like Gurps or d20 modern and tell everyone to make characters, expecting a modern detective/conspiracy game. Then the characters end up starting off as captured specimins on board an alien pirate ship on the other end of the galaxy. Sorta like the Sci-Fi show Farscape.

Currently I'm putting together something I've always wanted to run-- a Shadowrun game where a revolutionary group is attempting to overthrow the Megacorps and reestablish the USA to it's former glory. The Megacorps are plotting to prevent this by unleashing an AI system to crash any networks the revolutionists are using and hunt the leaders down. Meanwhile a 3rd party is an Ecoterrorist group trying to locate a nuclear missile lauch facility buried in the deserts of former Nevada. They indend to use the missiles to "level the playing field" by taking out Matrix nodes around the continent.

So the players choices are:
A) Help the Megacorps keep the status quo
B) Help start a revolution
C) Bring about next great Matrix crash
D) Play them all against each other

Lost Demiurge
2009-01-02, 01:19 PM
A Planescape game using Mutants and Masterminds... The PC's can be ANYTHING.

A game where the PC's are slaughtered mercilessly by a necromancer at the end of the first session, then regain consciousness in a heavily-warded tomb, to find themselves in uber-powerful undead bodies. Once they get outside, they find that the necromancer used them as generals and waged a half-century-long war on the living. But now he's dead, and they've got memories and free will back.

An Exalted game that lasted more than three sessions.

I've actually been lucky enough to run a long-term project of mine recently... A game where all the characters are dragon hatchlings, fresh out of the egg. They hatched to find their surrogate mom nowhere around, and have been going onward from there. We're on session three, and it's going splendidly.

valadil
2009-01-02, 01:52 PM
I've always wanted to DM for a group that puts as much effort into the game as I do.

I've always wanted to crucify a PC.

I've always wanted to kill off a PC's horse and turn its hooves into glue.

arguskos
2009-01-02, 01:55 PM
I've always wanted to DM for a group that puts as much effort into the game as I do.

I've always wanted to crucify a PC.

I've always wanted to kill off a PC's horse and turn its hooves into glue.
Gotta say, this is an excellent list. I agree with it totally (though... turning a PC's horse's hooves into glue is a little strange...).

I've actually always wanted to play a "god" game, where the players are dead gods that are regain their divine spark as mortals, and must do chores and jobs for the greater gods to take their rightful place in the divine hierarchy again.

brant167
2009-01-02, 08:16 PM
1) A futuristic(pl8) white wolf hunters game.
2) A game where the players are cursed to relive certain parts of their career from the future to the past. So they would start at level 20 and digress to level 1 by the last game(the paper work has been stopping this one.)
3) A Dark Sun campaign...the setting reads so well.
4) A game where all the players have one side gestaulted as strait bard.

Tough_Tonka
2009-01-02, 08:25 PM
A campaign where the PCs are kobold, goblin, or deep gnomes that have been captured and sold as slaves in Menzoberranzan and they have to escape anyway they can. Then they need to navigate through the tunnels around the city until they find a way to safety.

Järnblomma
2009-01-02, 08:50 PM
I will actually begin DM:ing a campaign I've always wanted to do, a game with several noble houses soon to be fiercly fighting each other to claim the throne as several of the families have valid (and not so valid :smallamused: ) claims to be emperor. The clans will not be good or evil but all neutral with own agendas, and the characters will choose whichever side they want or not choose any.

Otherwise I've always wanted to play a campaign where there are two groups of PC:s who works against each other and in the final session there will be a great battle between the parties. That would be so fun!

Or where one über-character is chasing the other characters and battling them in the final session, or battling them earlier, losing and joining them, anime-style. :smallbiggrin:

MickJay
2009-01-02, 09:57 PM
The WoD dark ages campaign I started that ran for 3 sessions after which it was, for various reasons (the top one being I left the country), suspended. I had the story outlined for at least 20-25 5-6 hour sessions, it's been almost 3 years since the last session and the probability we'll ever continue in the same group (or at all) is rather low...

Thrud
2009-01-02, 10:53 PM
A game where I give everyone absolutely no limits on character creation, letting them make anything and everything they want, egging them on to be more and more powerful, then after they have been playing their characters for about 3 or 4 game sessions letting them all figure out that they are mental patients with extremely complex delusions who are all caught up in some crazy doctor's experiment that has them seeing each other's delusions.

Then curing them.

Manave_E_Sulanul
2009-01-02, 11:05 PM
Fallout :-)

Waterworld (Or Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker-ish stuff for that matter....)

"Honey, I Shrunk the PCs and now they have to survive in Smurf equivalent land."

Thrud
2009-01-02, 11:09 PM
I am a lucky man. I've been able to DM or play in a few of these. This includes the immersive evil campaign with complex characters and the 'create modern characters then drop them in a fantasy world' are the two I remember fondly. I've also done the "fantasy world that is actually the distant future", AKA Thundarr The Barbarian, a couple of times. I played in a "everyone is a rogue" campaign once a looong time ago.

The one I'd like to play but haven't been able to pull off is a time traveller one. You know, the standard "PC's have to run around preventing history from being changed, or visiting alternate history regularly" cliche. See, I'm a big history buff but the players don't share that enthusiasm with me.

Heh, interesting, those are the two that I have done before too. You didn't happen to live in bakersfield about 15 or so years ago did you?

Man that evil campaign was great. I still have (hmm, is it o.k. to use the word 'fond' here? Oh, what the heck.) fond memories of a SERIOUSLY twisted human necromancer with a thing for young elves. First he. . . err. . . used them for pleasure. Then he sacrificed them to his dark god who REALLY hated elves. Then he raised them from the dead. Then he, err, used them for pleasure again. Ewww. Yeah, fond was definately NOT the word I should have used there.