PDA

View Full Version : Four Ideas for Review

JodtraSor
2009-01-01, 01:20 AM
This is pretty much my first post, and I was wondering if I could get some advice on some spell and item ideas for this campaign I'm running. They are all arcane based, and I'm just gonna give a short description for each one.

The first item was a "Bracer of Construct Calling". This item allows the user to call the construct bound to it to his/her side for added defence. They allow the construct to use Teleport and the Gaurd ability.

The next ones are "Gloves of Construct Casting". These gloves allows the wearer to cast spells through their contruct from a short rang away.

Then there is the first of the spells, "Phalenxe Sheilds". This spell creates multiple sheilds of force the provides a small AC bonus seperatly, but can work together to provide a larger bonus.

The finnal spell is "Ring of Blades". This spell allows the caster to summon a tottal of five blades to fight for them within a limited radius around the caster.

I would sincerly like to know your thoughts on these ideas, aswell as any concerns or suggestions on how to make them less broken.

Thank-you,
The Yo-Yo Duskblade

P.S: I will happily answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Lert, A.
2009-01-01, 01:32 AM
The first item was a "Bracer of Construct Calling". This item allows the user to call the construct bound to it to his/her side for added defence. They allow the construct to use Teleport and the Gaurd ability.

Seems alright. Kind of like a Summon X spell, but the summoned creature is permanent, you have to pay for it, and if it gets smashed you have to replace it. Unless you just want it to be "Free golem, whoo!" Then it starts to get weird.

The next ones are "Gloves of Construct Casting". These gloves allows the wearer to cast spells through their contruct from a short rang away.

Imitates a class feature (familiar) which is still on the weaker side. Not bad.

Then there is the first of the spells, "Phalenxe Sheilds". This spell creates multiple sheilds of force the provides a small AC bonus seperatly, but can work together to provide a larger bonus.

Depends mostly on what the bonuses are and if there is a cap. Have to see.

The finnal spell is "Ring of Blades". This spell allows the caster to summon a tottal of five blades to fight for them within a limited radius around the caster.

Most potentially broken, since it can get you a large number of potential attacks, possibly setting up sneak attacks or AoO. Range would be nice to know.

Biggest problem of any of these suggestions is not the effects, but the cost. Pay enough for your items and you should have a wide variety of options to choose from.

DracoDei
2009-01-01, 02:10 AM
The differences between the construct casting thing and the familiar ability is that with the familiar ability the familiar has to be in contact with the caster at the time of casting and much more importantly, it doesn't sound like it is limited to touch spells... you could hide around a corner and have your construct be throwing Lightning Bolts and Wail of the Banshee around.

Limos
2009-01-01, 02:30 AM
I have an idea. Change the Construct casting thing so that you have to prepare the spells specifically for the construct, and they take up your regular Spells per day.

It would be like your charging up your construct with spells that it can release later.

You could also have it so that you need to upgrade the construct in order to add another spell slot (adding gems or something to hold the spells).

I think that would be less broken than just being able to cast all your spells through a construct.

JodtraSor
2009-01-01, 06:46 PM
The differences between the construct casting thing and the familiar ability is that with the familiar ability the familiar has to be in contact with the caster at the time of casting and much more importantly, it doesn't sound like it is limited to touch spells... you could hide around a corner and have your construct be throwing Lightning Bolts and Wail of the Banshee around.

Well I was thinking that you do have to stay within a certain range, and you have to have line of site for both the construct ad the target of the spell.

JodtraSor
2009-01-01, 06:48 PM
I have an idea. Change the Construct casting thing so that you have to prepare the spells specifically for the construct, and they take up your regular Spells per day.

It would be like your charging up your construct with spells that it can release later.

You could also have it so that you need to upgrade the construct in order to add another spell slot (adding gems or something to hold the spells).

I think that would be less broken than just being able to cast all your spells through a construct.

I like the gem idea alot, and I was going to make the gloves work like a metamagic feat in that the spell cast uses up a spell slot of a couple levels higher.