PDA

View Full Version : [Spell Theme] Wanton Destruction

RufusCorvus
2004-08-13, 02:28 PM
Theme: Wanton Destruction

Once, long ago, in a world filled with an encroaching darkness and completely unobservant townsfolk, there was a single, sociopathic mage with a big hat who reeked of spell components with an idiot for a companion and a vendetta against almost everything. From his twisted, evil little mind there came a variety of spells with the soul purpose of causing large amounts of pain and stab wounds to other people (mostly his sword-fascinated warrior friend). Over the years, the secrets of these spells have become known. May the gods have mercy on ou-ARRGGH!!! WHY ARE YOU STABBING ME?!

Fighterdoken
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: No
The caster gains the ability to hurl one ally (most likely a meat-shield-type) at a nearby enemy. The caster rolls 1d20+4 to determine how many feet(rounded to nearest multiple of 5) the subject is hurled. The subject and the target both take 1d6 damage for every 5 feet thrown. The subject gain the benefits of a charge against the targeted enemy.

Stabbity Death
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Range:Touch
Area: Creature or object touched
Duration: 1 round/level or until discharged
Saving Throw: None
Your successful melee touch attack deals 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d8 ). The spell lasts for 1 round/level or until discharged.
Material Component: A knife, dagger, or similar stabbing instrument.

In Flames
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Area: 50-ft.-radius spread
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
With this spell, you speak but a few words and the surrounding area ignites into flames. This spell does 1d8 damage per caster level (maximum 15d8 ).

Hadoken
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 400 ft. + 40 ft./level line
By putting your palms together, facing outward and shouting out “HADOKEN!!” at the top of your lungs, you can fire a 15 ft. wide beam of pure force powerful enough to level half of a city. The beam deals 1d12 damage per caster level to anything that is in its path. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier is enough to break or shatter it, the beam continues until it reaches the end of its range.
Any time this spell is cast, roll 1d20. On a roll of 1, the blast is shot out into outer space, wasting the slot. You can not score a critical hit with Hadoken.
This spell can also be used to propel any vehicle to speeds in excess of 400 mile per hour.

Edit 1: Changed the damage for Stabbity Death to d8, removed the shapeable ability on In Flames and reduced its area of effect, reduced the beam size on Hadoken and added a critical failure chance.
Edit 2: Lowered Stabbity Death's level, actually removed shaping this time from In Flames and changed its range to Medium.
Edit 3: Added Fighterdoken
Edit 4: Added damage to Fighterdoken.
Edit 5: Fixed the introduction.

Hadoken
2004-08-13, 02:48 PM
What I've noticed is that these spells seem either too powerful or not powerful enough.

First of all your fourth level spell is rather useless. I know the flavor you were going for with BM from 8-bit, but requiring a melee touch attack of a wizard just to do 10d4 damage for a fourth level slot is pretty much a losing deal. Sure you can hit them with it, but you have to get close enough to deliver the touch which means getting within beating range, also just a level below that you have several spells that deal damage to multiple targets and deal it in d6's so I would urge you to come up with a better way to deal with this spell.

I'm not sure if the damage and radius of this spell are overpowered but my biggest concern is that you give the ability to alter the shape of the spell which is already a special ability given by a prestige class, so I'd be concerned about this. If you're worried about killing your own party with this you have to remember that Fighter is a jerk.

Just for flavor I would throw in that they have to roll a 1d20 and on a critical failure they completely miss, shooting the blast off into outer space. But that aside I would call this spell overpowered. It has a larger area of affect than the other comparable damage spell and also has a much greater potential for damage as well as it having the force descriptor which is a huge boon.

I think that's all out of me from now, I can't wait to see what happens to these spells, BM is like a role model to me, an evil, horrible, twisted role model.

RufusCorvus
2004-08-13, 07:28 PM
Note: Because I'm horrible at balancing things, I'll bounce off some ideas.

First of all your fourth level spell is rather useless. I know the flavor you were going for with BM from 8-bit, but requiring a melee touch attack of a wizard just to do 10d4 damage for a fourth level slot is pretty much a losing deal. Sure you can hit them with it, but you have to get close enough to deliver the touch which means getting within beating range, also just a level below that you have several spells that deal damage to multiple targets and deal it in d6's so I would urge you to come up with a better way to deal with this spell.

Maybe up the damage to d8's or increase the range?

I'm not sure if the damage and radius of this spell are overpowered but my biggest concern is that you give the ability to alter the shape of the spell which is already a special ability given by a prestige class, so I'd be concerned about this. If you're worried about killing your own party with this you have to remember that Fighter is a jerk.

Alright, I'll take out the shapeable ability.

Just for flavor I would throw in that they have to roll a 1d20 and on a critical failure they completely miss, shooting the blast off into outer space. But that aside I would call this spell overpowered. It has a larger area of affect than the other comparable damage spell and also has a much greater potential for damage as well as it having the force descriptor which is a huge boon.

So, I should decrease it's area of effect? I'll also add in the critical failure chance in hopes of a few moments where it can't hit the broad-side of a volcano.

I think that's all out of me from now, I can't wait to see what happens to these spells, BM is like a role model to me, an evil, horrible, twisted role model.

Glad to see someone else enjoys BM as much as me.

Videospirit
2004-08-13, 07:41 PM
How about using the old stats for hadoken but making it a ranged touch attack.

xthemage
2004-08-13, 08:04 PM
Stabbity Death
I'd say the d4 version of stabbity death is at the upper end of what a 2nd level spell is capable of. Contrast it with Scorching Ray which does up to 12d6 fire damage at L12 to a single target by L11. With d8s, as written, it's a L3 spell.

In Flames
Compared with a Widened and Empowered Fireball, this does about the same damage and has a slightly lower area. Two levels lower than a modified fireball seems fine. Compared to Delayed Blast Fireball, it does less damage and has a wider area, and is one level lower.

The ability to shape the effect is definitely overpowering, especially considering the 50 foot radius. Other than that, it seems like a perfectly balanced spell.

Hadoken
Sounds and/or looks good.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-13, 08:31 PM
Once, long ago, in a world filled with an encroaching darkness and completely unobservant townsfolk, there was a single, sociopathic mage with a big hat who reeked of spell components with an idiot for a companion and a vendetta against almost everything. From his twisted, evil little mind there came a variety of spells with the soul purpose of causing large amounts of pain and stab wounds to other people (mostly his sword-fascinated warrior friend). Over the years, the secrets of these spells have become known. May the gods have mercy on ou- WHY ARE YOU STABBING ME?!

Note: I know I'm missing one spell. I'll add it in later when my brain feels like functioning.

Stabbity Death
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 4
Components: V, S, M
Range:Touch
Area: Creature or object touched
Saving Throw: None
Your successful melee touch attack deals 1d8 points of damage per caster level (maximum 10d8 ).
Material Component: A knife, dagger, or similar stabbing instrument.

But I guess yours is good, but shouldn't the duration be: 1 round/level or till discharged?
http://www.nuklearpower.com/redmage20.php According to the official website, Stabbity Death is a Class feat.
Basically, in that version your dagger does max damage and you gain +5 to hit. Dur: 3 rounds. Mostly like a rage though. But no penalty to Ac.
So you could Make it like ability: Dur:1 round/lv, Gain +6 to Hit, Maximum damage with any knife/dagger. Temp +2 Hps/lv. Can't cast spells till ends.
But yours is good too.

In Flames
Evocation [Fire]
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
With this spell, you speak but a few words and the surrounding area ignites into flames. This spell does 1d8 damage per caster level (maximum 15d8 ). You may shape this spell to include gaps in the area of effect.

Two ideas:
1. Shaping is pretty strong... either lower areas radius spread and keep shaping power
2. raise range and and keep area, but lose shaping.

Hadoken
Evocation [Force]
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: 400 ft. + 40 ft./level line
By putting your palms together, facing outward and shouting out “HADOKEN!!” at the top of your lungs, you can fire a 15 ft. wide beam of pure force powerful enough to level half of a city. The beam deals 1d12 damage per caster level to anything that is in its path. If the damage caused to an interposing barrier is enough to break or shatter it, the beam continues until it reaches the end of its range.
Any time this spell is cast, roll 1d20. On a roll of 1, the blast is shot out into outer space, wasting the slot. You can not score a critical hit with Hadoken.
This spell can also be used to propel any vehicle to speeds in excess of 400 mile per hour.

Edit 1: Changed the damage for Stabbity-Death to d8, removed the shapeable ability on In Flames and reduced its area of effect, reduced the beam size on Hadoken and added a critical failure chance.

Basically Red Mage says this is his:
Hadoken: Once per day a black mage can tap into the Chaotic, primordial energies that bind reality and focus them through his hands into a powerful, destructive blast. As he grows in power and learns greater control he can do more and more damage with this blast. A Hadoken is 10ft wide +5ft/level and has a range of 200ft +50ft/level. All targets within the blast are struck and take full damage (including inconvenient structures). This is an all or nothing blast of pure, concentrated destruction. As such, there is no way to cast a "weaker" version a la Magic Missile.
Damage: 1d10 + 1d10 / 3 caster levels.

I like yours but you get a reflex save so its weaker most times, but yours has more maximum damage so its debateable.

RufusCorvus
2004-08-13, 10:18 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys. I really appreciate it. :D

How about using the old stats for hadoken but making it a ranged touch attack.

Making Hadoken a ranged touch attack just doesn't seem to do it justice.

Stabbity Death
I'd say the d4 version of stabbity death is at the upper end of what a 2nd level spell is capable of. Contrast it with Scorching Ray which does up to 12d6 fire damage at L12 to a single target by L11. With d8s, as written, it's a L3 spell.

Consider the level lowered.

But I guess yours is good, but shouldn't the duration be: 1 round/level or till discharged?

I'll add in the duration.

Two ideas:
1. Shaping is pretty strong... either lower areas radius spread and keep shaping power
2. raise range and and keep area, but lose shaping.

I'll raise the area. I could've sworn I removed shaping, but I'll double-check.

I like yours but you get a reflex save so its weaker most times, but yours has more maximum damage so its debateable.

I was seriously contemplating not allowing a Reflex save, but it just seemed way too overpowered to me.

Once again, thanks for the help. I'm still trying to decide what to make my 0, 1st, or 2nd level spell. I'm thinking somehow making Fighterdoken work, but I don't know yet. :-/

RufusCorvus
2004-08-13, 11:55 PM
Okay, I added in Fighterdoken. I'm quite a bit sketchy about it, but I do need at least four spells.

Any more comments/questions/criticisms?

Ikkitosen
2004-08-14, 04:29 AM
I like Fighterdoken a lot, but I'm not sure it fits your theme :-/

As for the other spells, I think you have enough critiques. Nice work :)

Ikki.

xthemage
2004-08-14, 11:23 AM
Fighterdoken seems like a very good idea, though I'm not entirely sure how to balance it.

You're essentially giving one ally the ability to make a full attack at the end of a charge (like the Pounce ability), which is consistent with how the spell was used in the comic. It's a pretty powerful ability, especially at the upper levels.

This spell is grossly overpowered below L6 (before iterative attacks), and could potentially be vastly overpowered by L16 (4 times the attacks for a 2nd level spell). Calling it a 2nd level spell is a bit iffy, though considering the range limitation, I'd say it's appropriate.

(Edit: A side note, you may want to add a note about both the fighter and the target taking 1d6 damage per 5 ft of throwing. That would help it fit the theme)

Good job.

RufusCorvus
2004-08-14, 01:23 PM
I like that idea, xthemage. And it does indeed fit the theme better.

Edit: Maybe if I lowered the range, it'd be a little better?

Edit 2: What school would this be, though? I just put Transmutation because I have no idea what it would be.

RufusCorvus
2004-08-14, 01:31 PM
I like Fighterdoken a lot, but I'm not sure it fits your theme :-/

Yeah, like I said, I'm a bit sketchy about it.

As for the other spells, I think you have enough critiques. Nice work :)

Thanks, but I couldn't have done it without the help I got.

Elays
2004-08-15, 11:30 AM
Well, which school you want for Fighterdoken really depends on the method. If you want to stay true to the comic, I'd stick with Transmutation (enhances caster's strength for the one throw). Transmutation is also the school of most of the propelling spells (Mage Hand, Fly, etc). One option, perhaps less desireable, is to make the schools consistent with each other by making Fighterdoken Evocation[force] as if the subject were being carried or propelled (a la Tenser's floating disc).

RufusCorvus
2004-08-15, 03:14 PM
Well, which school you want for Fighterdoken really depends on the method. If you want to stay true to the comic, I'd stick with Transmutation (enhances caster's strength for the one throw). Transmutation is also the school of most of the propelling spells (Mage Hand, Fly, etc). One option, perhaps less desireable, is to make the schools consistent with each other by making Fighterdoken Evocation[force] as if the subject were being carried or propelled (a la Tenser's floating disc).

I think I'll just stick with being as true to the comic as possible and keep it as Transmutation. Thanks.

Ikkitosen
2004-08-16, 02:36 AM
Ah, sorry, I took your theme at face value - there's some other link here? (xthemage says "as it was used in the comic" - eh? Is this 8-bit Theater? 'Cos if so, that'd explain it, since I'm afraid I don't read it).

Ikki.

RufusCorvus
2004-08-16, 01:04 PM
Ah, sorry, I took your theme at face value - there's some other link here? (xthemage says "as it was used in the comic" - eh? Is this 8-bit Theater? 'Cos if so, that'd explain it, since I'm afraid I don't read it).

Ikki.

Yes, it is indeed based off of Black Mage from 8 Bit Theater, however, in order to avoid any potential copyright worries, I chose to name the theme after one of BM's primary motivators.

I'd also like to thank everyone who's helped me with these spells. I definitely couldn't've done it without you.

As for the spells themselves, I think I'll just keep them as they are unless someone has anymore suggestions.

smart thog
2007-09-02, 07:11 PM
maybe try making fighterdoken a spell that offers a choice between Evocation and Transmutation.

yoshi927
2007-09-26, 11:37 AM
What about "Gargok's Foot Funk"?

Helgraf
2007-10-08, 08:02 PM
In Flames
Evocation [Fire]
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
With this spell, you speak but a few words and the surrounding area ignites into flames. This spell does 1d8 damage per caster level (maximum 15d8 ).

If you just speak but a few words, shouldn't it be a Verbal only component spell?

osyluth
2007-10-18, 11:16 PM
these names funny

xanaphia
2007-11-08, 02:51 AM
Very nice.

What was the Hadoken inspiration?

Magnor Criol
2007-11-12, 09:05 PM
Very nice.

What was the Hadoken inspiration?

These were all inspired by the comic 8-Bit Theater (http://www.nuklearpower.com/). Specifically, the abilities of the comic's resident powerful bungler character, Black Mage.

Alex12
2007-11-21, 01:58 PM
Amusingly, Hadoken here is far weaker than it's statted out in the comic (link (http://www.nuklearpower.com/daily.php?date=041127)) where it's a beam of energy (making it a ranged touch attack) that does 10d10*10+an additional d10 per caster level, and anything within an 8-mile radius takes half damage. SR:no, but Reflex save for half damage is allowed (meaning a Rogue could avoid the whole thing)

Inyssius Tor
2007-11-22, 02:28 AM
Y'know, it's kind of surprising that none of the last seven posters looked at the dates of the preceding posts--a horrifying three-year bump by Smart Thog to start with, and then all of the following posts have been ten to twenty days apart.

On-topic (bearing in mind that Rufus Corvus hasn't been seen in these parts since New Year's Eve, 1969): fighterdoken bewilders me. I have no idea whatsoever how it could possibly be intended to work, although I could just be half-dead with sleep.

imp_fireball
2009-08-06, 09:25 PM
There's also the matter of Hadoken involving sacrifice to a collection of deities (or one deity) to learn (maybe that's just how BM learned it... spell casters might go to different lengths learning different spells), BM only being able to cast it once per day (although that could be level limitations), and that it drains love (if only slightly; maybe add that to the fluff for a nudge to the GM).

AstralFire
2009-08-06, 09:41 PM
...Do you know how old this thread is?

Roland St. Jude
2009-08-06, 10:57 PM
...Do you know how old this thread is?

Sheriff of Moddingham: Too old. Please see the rules on Thread Necromancy.