PDA

View Full Version : Tricks and Combinations!

Alcopop
2009-01-01, 08:19 AM
All right, spill em! you're favorite tricks and combinations with feats in 3.5
(chuck in spells and class abilitys as required :P)

Here's some of mine!

Lady’s Gambit + Minor Shapeshift

Lady’s Gambit uses a free action to take half Character Level in damage and get that amount as a bonus to all hit and damage for that round.

Minor shapeshift vigor allows your to use a swift action to give yourself Temp hit points at HD.

Only works with a class that can cast polymorph, I’m using it with my hexblade, but effectively you get a +10 to hit and damage with no real drawbacks. (bar the fact that you have a POLYMORPH you cant use :P)

Here’s one that’s nice but not broken!

Crushing Strike + Lightning Mace + Imp Crit
Mace Only

Lightning mace gives you a free attack whenever you THREATEN a crit!, combine with crushing strike which gives a +1 to hit for every previose hit in the round
also grab the two weapon fighting jazz and chuck the bludgeoning equivalent of keen on ya wep (can't remember its name, though I know it DOES stack with imp crit)

You'll get some fun amount of attacks at decent bonuses! (with a whole lota crits)

Then just get your wiz to cast greater mighty wallop on ya and go to town!

SoD
2009-01-01, 08:46 AM
Nymph Paladin of Tyranny/Blackguard, get yourself two levels in rogue (or monk), and three levels in hexblade. There's nasty LA, lots of multiclassing but at the end of it, you get +8 to charisma, and your charisma bonus to all saves. Three times. And evasion. And mettle, so for any save where you suffer half/partial/etc. on a sucesful save, you instead suffer nothing.

Prometheus
2009-01-01, 05:59 PM
Monk, Samuari, Ninja, Soulknife, Truenamer...

(those are tricks).

only1doug
2009-01-01, 06:01 PM
Monk, Samuari, Ninja, Soulknife, Truenamer...

(those are tricks).

No, No, They are Traps, starts with the same 2 letters but not the same thing.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-01, 06:04 PM
Nymph Paladin of Tyranny/Blackguard, get yourself two levels in rogue (or monk), and three levels in hexblade. There's nasty LA, lots of multiclassing but at the end of it, you get +8 to charisma, and your charisma bonus to all saves. Three times. And evasion. And mettle, so for any save where you suffer half/partial/etc. on a sucesful save, you instead suffer nothing.

I'm pretty sure the charisma bonus to saves from paladin and blackguard does not stack, and from nymph probably doesn't either.

No, No, They are Traps, starts with the same 2 letters but not the same thing.

No, no. This is a trap:
http://bignanime.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/jun.jpg

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-01, 06:09 PM
Power Attack + Leap Attack + Shock Trooper + Robliar's Gambit:

I'm not only adding 3x BAB by lowering my AC, I'm also hitting you every time you hit me... and I promise, I hit back a LOT harder.

Sweeping Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm#sweepingStrike) + Great Cleave + bag of puppies = massive # of hits

Sweeping Strike: I can hit two people I threaten. Great Cleave: If I kill something, I get a free hit, which also gets a Sweeping Strike. I kill a puppy, and hit you. Wait, I killed a puppy, great cleave, I hit you, sweeping strike, I kill another puppy. Wait, I killed a puppy... infinite combo as long as you don't run out of puppies.

Heliomance
2009-01-01, 06:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the charisma bonus to saves from paladin and blackguard does not stack, and from nymph probably doesn't either.

Why wouldn't they? They're from different sources. Normally you can't get Divine Grace and the Blackguard's equivalent at the same time because becoming a Blackguard requires falling. Paladin of Tyranny neatly sidesteps that issue.

Hectonkhyres
2009-01-01, 06:58 PM
ShneekeyTheLost wins this thread. Forever.
I have to use that idea on a blackguard-type character. I just have to.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-01, 07:07 PM
Why wouldn't they? They're from different sources. Normally you can't get Divine Grace and the Blackguard's equivalent at the same time because becoming a Blackguard requires falling. Paladin of Tyranny neatly sidesteps that issue.

For starters, I don't think if blackguards are even supposed to be used in the same setting as variant paladins. Also, there is not a word about them coming from different sources:

Divine Grace (Su)

At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Dark Blessing (Su)

A blackguard applies his Charisma modifier (if positive) as a bonus on all saving throws.

It is clear that those two aren't meant to stack. If those abilities stack, then a monk/ninja/swordmage applies his wisdom to AC three times.

Heliomance
2009-01-01, 07:28 PM
For starters, I don't think if blackguards are even supposed to be used in the same setting as variant paladins. Also, there is not a word about them coming from different sources:

It is clear that those two aren't meant to stack. If those abilities stack, then a monk/ninja/swordmage applies his wisdom to AC three times.

Divine Grace is a different source than Dark Blessing. If it weren't, they'd both have the same name.

Monk and Swordsage bonuses don't stack because the Monk's bonus only works unarmoured and the Swordsages only works in light armour, meaning you can't qualify for both at the same time. I don't know about the Ninja's ability, but I suspect it probably does stack with Monk.

thegurullamen
2009-01-01, 07:51 PM
Divine Grace is a different source than Dark Blessing. If it weren't, they'd both have the same name.

What? It's the exact same bonus. That the names are different is just a matter of flavor. What dark or evil god would bestow "grace" on their servants? Or any other near-virtue?

This sounds like an abuse of RAW.

TheCountAlucard
2009-01-01, 08:00 PM
infinite combo as long as you don't run out of puppies.

That is the awfullest awesome thing I've heard in a good while now. Beats Greater Consumptive Field in that it isn't a Wizard pulling it off, for once...

Starbuck_II
2009-01-01, 08:24 PM
Monk and Swordsage bonuses don't stack because the Monk's bonus only works unarmoured and the Swordsages only works in light armour, meaning you can't qualify for both at the same time. I don't know about the Ninja's ability, but I suspect it probably does stack with Monk.

Nope. CV Ninja states it doesn't stack.
So that means it isn't the same ability (otherwise why state).

That said, I wouldn't have a problem with a Ninja Monk having 2 x Wisdom AC. Still not a threat (since can't multi with monk or never go back).

Alcopop
2009-01-01, 09:50 PM
Sweeping Strike (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/warMind.htm#sweepingStrike) + Great Cleave + bag of puppies = massive # of hits

Sweeping Strike: I can hit two people I threaten. Great Cleave: If I kill something, I get a free hit, which also gets a Sweeping Strike. I kill a puppy, and hit you. Wait, I killed a puppy, great cleave, I hit you, sweeping strike, I kill another puppy. Wait, I killed a puppy... infinite combo as long as you don't run out of puppies.

Omg... thats just... thats... wow. Now make it a bag of chickens and grab chicken infested! :smallbiggrin:

Keep em' coming guys! and try to base em off FEATS with class skills and spells put in when needed for the combo.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-01-01, 10:08 PM
First of all, WotC has said in the FAQ that Monk, Ninja, and Swordsage all get the "AC Bonus" class feature, and although each is slightly different mechanically, they don't stack because they all have the same name. Monk/Ninja doesn't stack, Monk/Swordsage doesn't stack, and Ninja/Swordsage doesn't stack.

Paladin of Tyranny gets Divine Grace, Blackguard gets Dark Blessing, they're different class features granting unnamed bonuses. Multiple unnamed bonuses/penalties from the same source never stack (see the AC Bonus section above), but unnamed bonuses from different sources always stack. The Aura of Despair from both Paladin of Tyranny and Blackguard doesn't stack, because it's multiple unnamed penalties from the same source, but the Cha to saves trick works.

Same goes for a Gloura (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) (fallen) Cobra-Strike Monk 2/ Paladin of Slaughter 2/ Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) 2/ Blackguard 3/ Mystic Wanderer 1 with Ascetic Mage. That gets Cha to AC four times (Deflection, Monk, Dodge, and Profane) and to saves three times (Unearthly Grace, Divine Grace, Dark Blessing). Plus it can Power Attack/Shock Trooper with a diving charge, using Divine Might to get Cha bonus to damage.

Darrin
2009-01-01, 10:51 PM
Omg... thats just... thats... wow. Now make it a bag of chickens and grab chicken infested! :smallbiggrin:

Chicken Infested + Gnome Quickrazor. Drawing or stowing the Quickrazor is a free action. Every time you draw it, there's a 50% chance you draw a chicken instead. Drop the chicken as a free action. If you don't draw a chicken, stow the quickrazor as a free action and draw it again. Congradulations, you now have an infinite number of chickens to use Sweeping Strike on.

Now add Great Cleave and something with Supreme Cleve. Congradulations, you've now achieved warp speed... in a 6-second round, you can draw an infinite number of chickens, cleave each one with Sweeping Strike, take a 5' step between cleaves, and keep moving indefinitely.

RebelRogue
2009-01-01, 11:04 PM
take a 5' step between cleaves
That's a 3.0 rule, but otherwise it looks legit.

Thurbane
2009-01-01, 11:06 PM
AKA Bag of Rats (http://dnd.wikia.com/wiki/Bag_of_rats) - requires a fairly liberal reading of how Cleave and Great Cleave work.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-01-01, 11:13 PM
Now add Great Cleave and something with Supreme Cleve. Congradulations, you've now achieved warp speed... in a 6-second round, you can draw an infinite number of chickens, cleave each one with Sweeping Strike, take a 5' step between cleaves, and keep moving indefinitely.

You can move 5 feet in any round when you don’t perform any other kind of movement. Taking this 5-foot step never provokes an attack of opportunity. You can’t take more than one 5-foot step in a round, and you can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round when you move any distance.

The Frenzied Berserker's Supreme Cleave specifically says it doesn't overcome the once-per-round limitation. Even if it didn't, you cannot overcome that limitation unless the class feature specifically says so. Even if it implies that you could potentially take a step between each Great Cleave, you're still limited to one such step in a given round unless you have some other ability that says otherwise.

Berserk Monk
2009-01-02, 01:13 PM
He's ones: detect thoughts and ask an NPC to play poker. I tried this as a wizard and made so much gp.:smallbiggrin:
Here's another one: when playing a rogue or other character with ranks in forgery, always ask important NPCs and nobles for their autograph. It won't seem odd for someone to ask for their autograph and you can sign all kinds of documents in their name.:smallbiggrin:

Paramour Pink
2009-01-02, 01:59 PM
He's ones: detect thoughts and ask an NPC to play poker. I tried this as a wizard and made so much gp.:smallbiggrin:
Here's another one: when playing a rogue or other character with ranks in forgery, always ask important NPCs and nobles for their autograph. It won't seem odd for someone to ask for their autograph and you can sign all kinds of documents in their name.:smallbiggrin:

I'm surprised the Wizard wasn't cheating worse, tbh. It just seems weird that he wouldn't be aware of someone being able to cheat like that, and have some way to counter it. That, and the asking for autographs is a more modern idea...isn't it? It just sounds out of place for something set in older times (even with magic). That said, I'm all for finding ways to improve Fogery. :smallbiggrin:

Berserk Monk
2009-01-02, 02:15 PM
I'm surprised the Wizard wasn't cheating worse, tbh. It just seems weird that he wouldn't be aware of someone being able to cheat like that, and have some way to counter it. That, and the asking for autographs is a more modern idea...isn't it? It just sounds out of place for something set in older times (even with magic). That said, I'm all for finding ways to improve Fogery. :smallbiggrin:

You know what, when I tried the autograph thing on an actual king he never questioned my intent. People like being flattered, and what better way than by saying "You're great. Let me have your signature to add to my collection." The DM didn't even realize what I was doing until I made the forgery check.

Eldariel
2009-01-02, 03:06 PM
Few off the top of my head:

Combat Reflexes [PHB] + Robilar's Gambit [PHBII] + Sidestep [Miniatures] > Dodge full attacks

Combat Reflexes [PHB] + Robilar's Gambit [PHBII] + Karmic Strike [CW] + High Sword Low Axe [CW] + Double Hit [Miniatures] = 6 attacks every time you're hit (add Decisive Strike [PHBII Monk ACF], Overpowering Attack [PHBII Fighter ACF], or similar for double damage)

Dungeoncrasher [DS Fighter ACF] + Knockback [RoS]/Driving Attack [PHBII] = Hit opponent for massive damage (say, Shock Trooper [CW] Pouncing [CC] Charge) and Bull Rush them to the ground/wall for more massive damage. May toss in Knock-Down [SRD] for added Trip, which ensures a wall to Bull Rush the opponent to.

Instantaneous Rage [CW]/Ferocity [CS Web Barbarian ACF] + Intimidating Rage [CW] + Imperious Command [DoTU] = As an Immediate Action, make an opponent within 30' cower for 1 round/your rage (depending on interpretion) and shaken for the rest of it+1 turns. Add Never Outnumbered [CS Skill Trick] to do it for every opponent within 10'/30'.

Shield Slam [CW] + Shield Charge [CW] + Improved Trip [PHB] + Improved Shield Bash [PHB] = Whenever you Charge an opponent, try to trip and daze your target and add extra bash if the Trip succeeds.

Mage Slayer [CA] + Thicket of Blades [ToB Stance] + Robilar's Gambit [PHBII] + Combat Reflexes [PHB] + Stand Still [XPH] + Overpowering Attack [PHBII] = Nobody does anything within your threatened area without at least getting smacked hard for their effort, unless you miss them at your highest attack bonus or they make a save vs. your standard damage X 2.

Celerity [PHBII Wizard 4 Spell] + Favor of the Martyr [SC Paladin 4 Spell] = take a Standard Action as an immediate action.

Celerity [PHBII Wizard 4 Spell] + Time Stop [PHB Wizard 9 Spell] = Take a bunch of full-round actions as an immediate action.

Reverse Gravity [PHB Wizard 7 Spell] + Prismatic Wall [PHB Wizard 8 Spell] + Rod of Quicken/Time Stop/Sudden Quicken/whatever = Non-Flying Opponent saves many times or bad things happen.

Wall of Stone [PHB Wizard 5 Spell]/Walls of Force (in plural) [PHB Wizard 5 Spell]/Force Cage [PHB Wizard 7 Spell] + Cloudkill [PHB Wizard 4 Spell] = Valar Morghulis

Anti-Magic Field [PHB Wizard 6 Spell] + Mastery of Shaping [DMG Archmage High Arcana] = Field covering all squares around you, but allowing you to cast normally. Combine with Overland Flight [PHB Wizard 5 Spell] for all sorts of fun with non-casters.

Contingency [PHB Wizard 6 Spell] + Dimension Door [PHB Wizard 4 Spell] + triggered on some word = Speaking is a free action, so you can as a free action.

Shadow Pounce [UE Telflammar Shadowlord Class Feature/SS Crinti Shadow Marauder Class Feature] + Shadow Blink+Shadow Jaunt+Shadow Stride [ToB Shadow Hand Maneuvers] = Make 3 full attacks in a round. Add Sun School [CW] for an extra attack each.

Divine Spell Power [CD] + Prayer Beads of Karma [DMG] + Blasphemy/Dictum/Holy Word/Word of Chaos [PHB Cleric 7 Spells] = Other alignments around you are scr00ed.

(Greater) Arcane Fusion [CM] + Celerity [PHBII] = Cast all your spells up to level 1 (Greater = up to level 7) in one action.

Supernatural Spell [CD Web Dweomerkeeper's Class Feature] + any spell with XP component (Wish, Limited Wish, Miracle, etc.) = Cast without XP components for few times per day.