PDA

View Full Version : [Spell Theme] Sarina's Speed

Starbuck_II
2004-08-12, 01:28 PM
Sarina's Spells: Theme-Speed:
Sarina Lightfoot was a bard who believed that speed was the key to success in any endeavor. She was weaving magic and fasting for a week when she discovered in a dream the key to this. In the dream she learned that how move quicker than a person can though cause great strain on the body. How to use magic to make someone greatly faster than the norm and dodge most attacks. She from then on has gone on to find the spells to accomplish these and more speedy experiments.
One day, she hopes that people will say, "Look at him go, he moves as if he was under one of Sarina's spells."

[ Sarina's Yellow Frenzy ]
[School Necromancy]
Level: Bard 1(Wizard/Sorcerer 2)
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 Standard Action
Range: Self
Target: Caster
Duration: 1 round / lv. (d)
Saving Throw: Fort negate (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes(harmless)

The caster moves and acts more quickly than normal. When making a full round attack you may make one extra attack using Full Base. You are also granted a +2 insight bonus to Initiative. (Effects are cumulative with haste, but it does not confer a extra action, so no using it to cast a second spell). There is a price for the stress upon the body placed on your physiology, however. Subject takes 1d4 nonlethal damage/round. The caster may end, as a move action, spell at anytime. (Useful if you can't take any more damage without collapsing.)
Sarina's Yellow Frenzy is countered and dispelled by slow.

[ Sarina's Great Agility ]
[School Transmutation]
Level: Bard 3 (Sorcerer/Wizard 4, Domain-Travel 4)
Components: V, S, F
Range: 10 feet (Centered on caster)
Target: 1 living creature/5 levels.
Duration: 1 round /lv.
Saving Throw: will negates(harmless)
Spell Resistance: no
Focus: A ribbon tied on left leg.
You confer an enhancement bonus to dexterity sufficient enough to raise dexterity to 18(if not 18 or higher), and the Dodge feat for the duration of the spell.

[ Sarina's Awareness ]
[School Transmutation]
Level: Bard 4
Components: V, S,
Casting Time: standard action
Range: touch
Target: 1 living creature
Duration: 1 hour
Save Throw: none
Description: Subject is granted increased awareness, a fraction of a second in time. This allows the subject to sense which direction attacks will come from.
Effect: Subject gains +4 insight bonus to AC. This insight bonus is lost whenever the subject loses DEX to ac unless only flat-foot, in which case it instead grants +2 insight bonus to AC.

[ Sarina's Evasion ]
[School Divination]
Level: bard 5
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: full round action
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 minute /level
Save Throw: will negate (harmless)
Focus: Feather of an Eagle.
For duration of spell, target gains evasion, as the rogue class special ability. If target already has evasion, he instead gains improved evasion for duration of spell. Multiple castings do stack

Grey Watcher
2004-08-12, 02:28 PM
With Sarina's Evasion, if the target already has Evasion, does the spell give the target Improved Evasion or is it wasted?

Starbuck_II
2004-08-12, 03:08 PM
Is improved evasion if yuou have evasion too powerful? Let me look a Bard gains 5th lv spells around: Lv13

Rogue cabn gain improved at lv 10 so I guess its equal in power.

Okay sure, why not, its not over powering because by time he gains spell rogues usually have it.

Zherog
2004-08-12, 04:12 PM
I like your spells, Starbuck! A few comments, though.

[Sarina's Unholy Frenzy]
[School Necromancy]
Level: Bard 1(Wizard/Sorcerer 2)
Range: Self
Target: Caster
Duration: 1 round / lv.
Saving Throw: Fort negate (harmless)
Spell Resistance: yes(harmless)

The caster moves and acts more quickly than normal. When making a full round attack you may make one extra attack using Full Base. Yu are also granted a +2 insight bonus to Initiative. (Effects not cumulative with haste, nor does it confer a extra action, so no using it to cast a second spell). There is a price for the stress upon the body placed on your physiology, however. Subject takes 1d6 nonlethal damage/round. The caster may end, as a move action, spell at anytime. (Useful if you can't take any more damage without collapsing.)
Sarina's Unholy Frenzy is countered and dispelled by slow.

The word "Unholy" in the spell name is a bit misleading. Unfortunately, I'm not thinking of anything better at the moment. If I do, I'll post it and you can decide.

This spell is almost exactly like Haste in 3.5. Haste affects 1 creature per caster level, where this only affects the caster. Haste grants an AC and Reflex Save bonus, where this grants an Init bonus. Haste grants a speed bonus and this doesn't. But what is the biggest benefit (in my opinion - the extra attack) is granted by both spells. Now, this does subdual damage, so that might be enough to offset the difference. Might.

Also, if the caster can dismiss the spell, you should add "(D)" to the end of the duration.

[Sarina's Great Agility]
[School Transmutation]
Level: Bard 3 (Sorcerer/Wizard 4, Domain-Travel 4)
Range: 10 feet (Centered on caster)
Target: 1 living creature/5 levels.
Duration: 1 round /lv.
Saving Throw: will negates(harmless)
Focus: A ribbon tied on left leg.
You confer an enchantment bonus to dexterity sufficient enough to raise dexterity to 18(if not 18 or higher), and the Dodge feat for the duration of the spell.

The spell grants an enhancement bonus, not an enchantment bonus. ;)

For the Dodge feat, be sure to specify that it's granted even if the target doesn't meet the pre-reqs of the feat. Just to prevent some rules lawyer from arguing otherwise.

[Sarina's Awareness ]
[School Transmutation]
Level: Bard 4
Casting Time: standard action
Range: touch
Duration: 1 hour
Save Throw: none
Description: Subject is granted increased awareness, a fraction of a second in time. This allows the subject to sense which direction attacks will come from.
Effect: Subject gains +4 insight bonus to AC. This insight bonus is lost whenever the subject loses DEX to ac unless only flat-foot, in which case it instead grants +2 insight bonus to AC.

This one looks OK.

[Sarina's Evasion]
[School Divination]
Level: bard 5
Components: v, s
Casting Time: full round action
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 round /level
Save Throw: will negate (harmless)
Focus: Feather of an Eagle.
For duration of spell, target gains evasion, as the rogue class special ability. If target already has evasion, he instead gains improved evasion for duration of spell. Multiple castings do not stack

You mention a focus, but there's no mention of it on the Components line. Other than that, it seems OK. In fact, I'd even consider allowing the spell to stack - if a bard wants to burn two spells to gain Improved Evasion, so what?

Vey nice spells, overall. In my opinion anyway. :)

Starbuck_II
2004-08-12, 07:50 PM
Okay allowed Sarina's Evasion to stack with itself.

I chose unholy because it dealt with necromancy buit i'll look it over.

Edit: Dodge's only requirement is dexterity so that feat shouldn't be a problem.

Zherog
2004-08-12, 08:00 PM
The problem with Unholy is it's a game term, that causes great bodily injury to good people. ;)

Ikkitosen
2004-08-12, 09:28 PM
Hey there. I like this theme a lot - Bards should always have a "run away!" backup plan :)

A couple of comments.....

Sarina's Great Agility grants a set score to an ability, something that the game designers deliberately shied away from for v3.0 and greater (see Gauntlets of Ogre Power). This makes this spell really great, although not obviously over-powered.

Conversely, I think Sarina's Evasion is slightly underpowered, if only because of the duration. Since Bards get such a limited spell list I think this needs to be a little more utilitarian, say 1 minute per level?

Ikki.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-12, 09:41 PM
Okay, I changed Sarina's Evasion to 1 minute/lv but I'm thinking maybe 5 rounds/lv would be better. I need to think over it...

I decided to change Sarina's Unholy Frenzy to deal 1d4 nonlethal/ round because I think dealing 1d6 might be kind too big.

Fenris
2004-08-14, 05:40 AM
Great spells 8)

I agree unholy frenzy should just be frenzy, its not even evil.

Starbuck_II
2004-08-14, 10:00 AM
Changed Sarina's Unholy Frenzy to Sarina's Yellow Frenzy

So how is name now :D