PDA

View Full Version : Master Thrower Question

Arros Winhadren
2009-01-02, 04:41 AM
How exactly does something like Palm Toss work with, say, Flurry of Blows? Does it work at all? If so, throwing 12 shuriken at once sound like something I want in on. I was thinking of gestalt characters and considered a monk/rogue/master thrower build so I was curious as to how the dynamics work out. I'm thinking it must break the rules somewhere.

Eloel
2009-01-02, 04:42 AM
It doesn't break the rules, but adding 1d2 damage doesn't help much, you can't SA with the extra attacks gained from Palm Throw.

Arros Winhadren
2009-01-02, 04:50 AM
I see. Does Palm Throw specify that you can't do SA on the second hit, or is that part of the SA rules?

Edit: I must have some sort of severe memory loss - I've asked this question before, and learned that PT is a volley attack, so of course no SA on those. I could always just drop the Master Thrower though, 6*8d6 per round isn't too bad.

Keld Denar
2009-01-02, 09:17 AM
You would get the bonus damag from a Bard's Dragonfire Inspiration (Dragon Magic). I built a Glimmerskin Halfling Bardblade Master Thrower that tossed flaming daggers for something like 1300 damage per round at 20 combining the Two Weapon Fighting tree with Raging Mongoose and adding Rapid Shot and Palm Throw to chuck something like 24 daggers in a round, each with about +9d6 fire damage tacked on. The bonus damage from Bardic Music is not considered volley type damage so it would apply to each hit. You could easily modify the build by adding in a single level of monk to do it with shurikens to squeeze out 2 more attacks, or put monk somewhere on the other side of a gestalt build (my build is not gestalt).

Flick the Flaming Dagger Flinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11)

KevLar
2009-01-02, 04:45 PM
Flick the Flaming Dagger Flinger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5140212&postcount=11)
Nice. But may I ask how can a halfling get Dragonfire Inspiration just like that? Don't you need the dragonblood subtype (or Dragontouched feat)?
Also (and perhaps related): Glimmerskin? That's an outsider from MM2. With +15 LA. Did you mean something else?

Thanks. :)

Human Paragon 3
2009-01-02, 04:48 PM
Shuriken count as amunition for the purpose of enchanting them, so you can pour on the flaming, shocking, freezing enchantments for extra damamge. Even if you can't afford permanant enhancements, there are plenty of spells that will give you temporary extra damage (check out the PHBII for a few good ones). I think that's a pretty good reason for tossing 12 a round. And half of them will still get SA.

Or you could always use poison for delicious con damage.

RTGoodman
2009-01-02, 05:00 PM
Nice. But may I ask how can a halfling get Dragonfire Inspiration just like that? Don't you need the dragonblood subtype (or Dragontouched feat)?
Also (and perhaps related): Glimmerskin? That's an outsider from MM2. With +15 LA. Did you mean something else?

Thanks. :)

Glimmerskin Halfling is a racial variant in the Dragon Magic supplement that gives Halflings the Dragonblood subtype and a few other things in exchange for some of their normal abilities. I assume Keld's build is using a Strongheart Halfling (FRCS, I think?), which gives a feat in places of the bonus to saving throws, alongside the Glimmerskin Halfling stuff.

KevLar
2009-01-02, 05:04 PM
Ah, thanks a lot, I had missed that. :smallsmile:

ShneekeyTheLost
2009-01-02, 06:43 PM
Also remember that Sneaky Shot takes up a Move Action to use, so it can't be applied to every throw.

Weak Spot, on the other hand, can be applied to every throw,

If you're wanting to do this right, here's a way to drastically increase efficency:

Monk11/Warblade1/Bloodstorm Blade4/Warblade4//Rogue19/Swordsage1

Get a pair of Sai, enchanted to your needs.

Bloodstorm Blade4 lets you make a bunch of ranged attacks with them. Since they are a Monk weapon, you get full flurry. They are also a Shadow Hand weapon, which lets you take advantage of feats like Shadow Blade which lets use your Dex to damage. Since Weak Spot denies Str to damage, nothing says it removes Dex to damage, so it should stack. Since your Dex should be very high, this will be a lot of extra damage on every toss.