PDA

View Full Version : Heroic Willpower (paladin spells) PEACH

Roderick_BR
2009-01-02, 09:08 AM
Yeah, yeah, I used a name from TVTropes, so what?:smalltongue:

This is something I've been thinking for a while, to give paladins a little power-up.
These spells are inspired on the infamous Iron Heart Surge from Tome of Battle, but using the rules of an existing spell from the Player's handbook, Moment of Prescience. I added some extra conditions as to when it can be used, and it's limits (an effect similar to stunning, but not being an actual stunning effect, so you can't be immune to it, nor lose your Dex bonus, etc).
A lot of the wording came from Moment of Prescience, and it can be flawed in several parts.
All the "discharge" powers can be activated at any time, although it keeps the character from moving until his next turn. Also, a DM can allow a BlackGuard to use it. The long casting time is just to keep a character from quickening it every time he spends it.

Divine Resistance

Divine Resistance
Abjuration
Level: Pal 1
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 round + 1 full action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 hour/level or until discharged
This spell grants the paladin an additional protection to his Fort saves in the form of a +2 holy bonus (this bonus stacks with the paladin's Divine Grace).
As an additional power, the paladin can, as a free mental action, discharge the spell, gaining an automatic sucess to his Fort save. This bonus lasts until the beggining of your next turn. You additionally can't take any actions during this time, other than swift actions or attacks of opportunity. Spells that usually doesn't grant saves, but can be identified as a body-afflicting effects (with DM's permission) can grant the paladin a Fort save to end its effect on him. Area effects that lasts more than 1 round are not fully dispelled, but won't affect the paladin, unless he leaves the area and comes back in.
You can’t have more than one Divine Resistance active on you at the same time.

Divine Freedom

Divine Freedom
Abjuration
Level: Pal 2
This spell grants the paladin an additional protection to his Reflex saves in the form of a +2 holy bonus (this bonus stacks with the paladin's Divine Grace).
As an additional power, the paladin can, as a free mental action, discharge the spell, gaining an automatic sucess to his Reflex save. This bonus lasts until the beggining of your next turn. You additionally can't take any actions during this time, other than swift actions or attacks of opportunity. Spells that usually doesn't grant saves, but can be identified as a movement-affecting effects (with DM's permission) can grant the paladin a Reflex save to end its effect on him. Area effects that lasts more than 1 round are not fully dispelled, but won't affect the paladin, unless he leaves the area and comes back in.
You can’t have more than one Divine Freedom active on you at the same time.

Divine Willpower

Divine Willpower
Abjuration
Level: Pal 3
This spell grants the paladin an additional protection to his Will saves in the form of a +2 holy bonus (this bonus stacks with the paladin's Divine Grace).
As an additional power, the paladin can, as a free mental action, discharge the spell, gaining an automatic sucess to his Will save. This bonus lasts until the beggining of your next turn. You additionally can't take any actions during this time, other than swift actions or attacks of opportunity. Spells that usually doesn't grant saves, but can be identified as a mind-affecting effects (with DM's permission) can grant the paladin a Will save to end its effect on him. Area effects that lasts more than 1 round are not fully dispelled, but won't affect the paladin, unless he leaves the area and comes back in.
You can’t have more than one Divine Willpower active on you at the same time.

Divine Resolve

Divine Resolve
Abjuration
Level: Pal 4
This spell grants the paladin an additional protection to all his saves in the form of a +2 holy bonus (this bonus stacks with the paladin's Divine Grace, but none of the other Divine spells) against death effects.
As an additional power, the paladin can, as a free mental action, discharge the spell, becoming completely immune to any death effect. Also, any attack that would drop you to 0 hit points or less, instead, reduces you to 1 HP. You additionally can't take any actions during this time, other than swift actions or attacks of opportunity.
You can’t have more than one Divine Resolve active on you at the same time.

The Neoclassic
2009-01-03, 05:35 PM
I'm not the best with crunchy spells, but it is a nifty idea. The only thing that really confuses me is why the Fort one is a 1st level, Ref is a 2nd, and Will is a 3rd. I'd just make all of them first or second level (except for Divine Resolve, which is good as a 3rd or 4th level spell).

Caldarin
2009-01-05, 02:50 AM
The only reason I can think of is that Paladins get good fort saves and bad other saves

DracoDei
2009-01-05, 10:56 AM
Which always struck me as a little weird... the shining examples of incorruptability DON'T have an especial resistance to being turned against their comrades with mind-tricks? WHAT?
At the very least I would drop the Will one to second level.

Roderick_BR
2009-01-06, 09:27 AM
Thanks. I based the sequence on the ToB diamond mind saves, that first gives you a Fort bonus, then a Reflex, and then a Will. They are given in order of importance, as giving the Will first, for example, would be a bit too good, and by the time you fet Fort, it's not so useful anymore.

And I was thinking about why Paladins don't get a high Will, is because, in D&D, Will is apparently meant only for fullcasters. It doesn't matter that you are supposed to be incorruptable. You get a high Will only if you manipulate magical energies on a daily basis. If we can fix a fullcasting progression to the paladin, we could give him a high will.

DracoDei
2009-01-06, 02:02 PM
I take it you are being sarcastic... that is silly logic for them to follow... except they aren't THAT silly because they don't follow it! See: Monk. And even the "Full caster level but not full spells" Bard gets a good Will save. Anyway... that is something for redesigns, not spell designs technically... just drop the Will one to 2nd along with whatever is already at that level and you can call me happy (or I can just houserule it when and if I ever use this :smallbiggrin:).

Roderick_BR
2009-01-07, 06:29 AM
I take it you are being sarcastic...
Let me rephrase it then: "WotC thinks..." :smalltongue:
Yeah, they don't make much sense among their own products, but remember that the bard, while not having spells above 6th, levels, is still a full caster (while the paladin and ranger are half-level casters), and the monk... well, it's monk.
If you want to put the Will at 2nd level, be my guest. The writting I put there is just a suggestion if you wish to use these spells :smallsmile: