PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] What would you name a wild elf drider?

newbDM
2009-01-02, 09:25 AM
Earlier this...I mean last...year one of my players' character, who is a wild elf, had a little incident on an uninhabited island with some monstrous spiders while wearing nothing but a barrel.

Later on for some cruel DM fun I had the NPCs who hired him and his group to clear out the island drop by with a crate lined with blanket. Inside were fourteen (I rolled the number randomly) little drider-like/wild elf-like bundles of joy.

So anyway, now I want to stat them up as an official race for my homebrewed world. I know there is a drider template in a 3rd party drow book, so I will be using that to stat them out with the wild elf. I just have no clue what to call them. Any ideas?

Dublock
2009-01-02, 09:33 AM
I would be tempted to name them one through 14 in Latin (I took 4 years of Latin.. :P) But I find this link useful at times http://www.rinkworks.com/namegen/

Edit..ok I misunderstood first time reading it :P The race itself...I would be tempted to call them woodland elfs, or woodender. Something like that

Grail
2009-01-02, 09:54 AM
Doing the traditional dnd thing of just merging two names into one:

Spidelfs (Spider and Elf)
Elfnid (Elf and arachind)
Arachnelf (Arachind and Elf)
Spider Elf (duh)
Wilder (Wild and Spider)
Welfider (Wild and Elf and Spider)

or you can call them

dem funny bugz what got elf 'edz.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-02, 09:58 AM
Well, this site here (http://www.eilistraee.com/chosen/language.php) has a drow translator. I got these results:

elf - darthirii
spider - orbb
wood - lorulm

I'd call the Wood-Elf-Driders the Darthorbb. Sounds nice, doesn't it?

endoperez
2009-01-02, 10:07 AM
Bug elves, or Wilders if there rare no psionicist-wilders in the world. :p

Shouldn't the name be up to the father, or possibly the offspring? It's not like there are any existing names for them.

Myou
2009-01-02, 10:12 AM
Awww, they sound adorable!

Perhaps Elder? :D

Is he going to raise them?

Xefas
2009-01-02, 10:23 AM
What you want is a Tauric Wild Elf Monstrous Spider, not a Drider, me thinks. And I just happen to have one here, courtesy of the Tauric template. You can add a Level Adjustment for the power level of your game, but the 3 racial hit dice are a big enough hit for me that I don't think they need one.

Wild Drider As Characters:

Type: Monstrous Humanoid. Wild Drider have Darkvision out to 60ft and are automatically proficient with all Simple Weapons.

Size: Medium

Hit Dice: Wild Drider start with 3 Monstrous Humanoid Hit Dice. This gives them 3d8 hit points, +3 Base Attack Bonus, +1 Base Fortitude, +3 Base Reflex, +3 Base Will, and (2+int modifier) skill points for each hit die (x4 for the first level as normal).

Speed: 30ft base land speed, and a 20ft climb speed

+1 Natural Armor

Abilities: +6 Dex, +2 Con, -2 Int

Web Shot (Ex): Eight times per day, a Wild Drider can shoot a web at an opponent within 50ft as a standard action. This requires a ranged touch attack to hit. If it succeeds, the opponent becomes entangled (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#entangled).

They may make an Escape Artist check with a DC equal to 10 + 1/2 your hit dice (including class levels) + your Constitution modifier to escape the web or a Strength check against a DC equal to the Escape Artist DC +4. Both are standard actions.

Grail
2009-01-02, 10:25 AM
Wood Drider As Characters:

Since Drider comes from Drow and Spider, methinks that calling them a Wood Drider is just, well, not right.

Leewei
2009-01-02, 10:27 AM
Clearly, these must be called Low Driders.

All my friends ride a Low Drider... o/`

Flickerdart
2009-01-02, 11:25 AM
Since Drow are dark elves and Wild Elves are considerably lighter, I'd just call them Pale Driders and get on with it.

hamishspence
2009-01-02, 11:28 AM
Wood Elf + Drider .... Wider?

Xefas
2009-01-02, 11:44 AM
Since Drider comes from Drow and Spider, methinks that calling them a Wood Drider is just, well, not right.

Actually, I meant to write "Wild Drider" since its a Wild Elf base and not a Wood Elf (silly me). I'll edit that.

Still, that's a good point. I don't know what a better name would be, though.

bosssmiley
2009-01-02, 12:32 PM
Alfarcaps
Arachsidhe
Nightmare Elves

Narmoth
2009-01-02, 05:47 PM
Elfspiders?

AslanCross
2009-01-02, 06:23 PM
I'd call the Wood-Elf-Driders the Darthorbb. Sounds nice, doesn't it?

I think this is pretty cool.

"Spielf" could also work if you go by the portmanteau origins of "Drider" and "Scorrow."

Lert, A.
2009-01-02, 06:39 PM
I will call them George, and I will hold them and pet them and squeeze them and love them ALL UP!

Saintjebus
2009-01-02, 06:45 PM
I like Nightmare Elves, because of course, this is a wild elf's worst nightmare.