PDA

View Full Version : Speculation/Spoiler: What's in the contract?

Fitzclowningham
2009-01-02, 11:06 AM
Besides a resurrection for Roy and Haley being allowed to leave town?

Zordrath
2009-01-02, 11:51 AM
I don't think Roy is part of this contract. After all, as Celia negotiated this, both she and Hank were under the impression that the Thieves' Guild was winning, neither of them had reason to assume that Celia was in any position to make further demands apart from getting herself and Haley out of this alive.

Aimbot
2009-01-02, 01:14 PM
I'm willing to bet she tried to sell Belkar down the river. It's in character, it's the only card she thought she had, and she flew over to him off panel.

Plus the Giant likes to have moments where npcs overstep their bounds. This way Belkar's recent behavior pays off and Haley gets to assert her authority.

snoopy13a
2009-01-02, 07:37 PM
I think it is just a truce. Haley, Belkar and Celia are able to leave safely and the Thieves Guild promises to leave them alone as long as they stay away in the future. Kind of like a return to the previous status quo.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-02, 09:44 PM
I think that it might reinstate Haley back into the Thieves Guild...

lordofthe_wog
2009-01-03, 01:43 AM
Shadow;5581586']I think that it might reinstate Haley back into the Thieves Guild...

Doubtable. Haley has no intention of joining and would probably just leave again, and we'd be back in the middle of the same mess, but with one more Bozz-cicle. I'm with Snoopy.

Eraniverse
2009-01-03, 02:07 AM
I foresee Haley being re-employed by the Guild in the status of mobile loot assessment associate or some such technical term for "do whatever the hell she wants" in exchange for performing as yet unknown tasks.

Optimystik
2009-01-03, 03:17 AM
I foresee Haley being re-employed by the Guild in the status of mobile loot assessment associate or some such technical term for "do whatever the hell she wants" in exchange for performing as yet unknown tasks.

That's my bet. "Freelance Associate," "Remote Reconnaissance Technician" or "Mobile Loot Assessor", whatever keeps her out of Greysky while maintaining the guild's reputation.

[TS] Shadow
2009-01-03, 09:00 AM
Celia said "reinstate my clients contract" or something like that. Also, given the set up dialouge about how "nobody leaves the guild," it's pretty likely.s

MickJay
2009-01-03, 03:25 PM
If "nobody leaves the guild", what's the point of re-establishing the contract in the first place? Technically, Haley is and was a guild member, albeit a rogue one. Therefore, Celia was probably re-negotiating the terms of membership and nullifying the penalties that were to be imposed on Haley for behaviour contrary to the original terms of her contract.

derfenrirwolv
2009-01-03, 04:05 PM
1) Hailey gives back grubwingers stuff, sans the sliph. Cash payment to compensate, or a voucher "good for 3 months worth of protection money"

2) Grubwinger gives back Roys body

3) The clerics of loki agree to raise roy

4) Haily becomes a roving agent of the guild (member in name only, keeps her activities elsewhere)

5) Hailey keeps the bow, the guild gets the rest of pete's stuff.

6) Hailey is going to beat information about her father out of Tusky one way or another.

Zevox
2009-01-03, 07:35 PM
I think it is just a truce. Haley, Belkar and Celia are able to leave safely and the Thieves Guild promises to leave them alone as long as they stay away in the future. Kind of like a return to the previous status quo.
One problem: Roy. Haley and the others can't just leave town as-is, they have to retrieve his body. If the contract just lets them get out of town alive and unmolested, it's not going to work for them because of that.

Zevox

Optimystik
2009-01-03, 08:24 PM
One problem: Roy. Haley and the others can't just leave town as-is, they have to retrieve his body. If the contract just lets them get out of town alive and unmolested, it's not going to work for them because of that.

Zevox

That's easy to get around - it says they have to leave, but doesn't say immediately. ;)

Liwen
2009-01-05, 10:10 PM
Yes, but if they raid Grudwinger again to get Roy's body back, they will likely provoke the guild to track and kill them again. The contract should probably involve a "reistitution of goods has prior the Haley's return in Greysky i.e. : They get Roy back and Grub gets his 50000 gold pieces.

If this is the case, I except somekind of double cross from one of the parties involved.

Assassin89
2009-01-05, 10:13 PM
Well considering all of those dead bodies around Old Pete's house, Grubwiggler would be satisfied with the materials.

Optimystik
2009-01-05, 10:20 PM
Well considering all of those dead bodies around Old Pete's house, Grubwiggler would be satisfied with the materials.

Excellent idea, he should be happy to return Roy in exchange for a few dozen dead thieves to use as golem-parts.

EyethatBinds
2009-01-05, 11:58 PM
If you think a bunch of cut up corpses are worth the cost of making a golem I've got a bridge to sell you.

zach12376
2009-01-06, 01:29 AM
If you think a bunch of cut up corpses are worth the cost of making a golem I've got a bridge to sell you.

Would that particular bridge start with a "B" and end with "rooklyn bridge":wink:

chiasaur11
2009-01-06, 01:41 AM
Seemed knifed corpses did fine for his zombifying business before. I mean, he even had an ad up asking for more.

I mean, golems did seem more of a sideline for him.

Ellen
2009-01-06, 01:45 AM
As I understand it, groups of adventurers can hire a thief from the guild to work for them while they travel (see Origin of PCs).

So, Celia shouldn't have had too much trouble making it possible for Haley to continue with her current job with Roy.

The Guild gets a cut of what Haley makes, but you don't have to be a lawyer to realize that would only be a percentage of her actual profits. Any money belonging to the group, other members of the group, or paid out to meet other expenses before Haley gets her cut, would not be considered part of this.

Of course, they're thieves, so they might expect their employees to work around that.

Still, if the Order of the Stick declares "The Ransom for Haley's Dad" their favorite charity and puts money there before Haley gets her cut - and if Haley's cut is reduced by (gasp!) the same amount that goes into the favorite charity, I'd bet Celia can wrap it up nicely in Guild-proof, red tape.

Ara
2009-01-06, 05:56 AM
1) Hailey gives back grubwingers stuff, sans the sliph. Cash payment to compensate, or a voucher "good for 3 months worth of protection money"

2) Grubwinger gives back Roys body

3) The clerics of loki agree to raise roy

4) Haily becomes a roving agent of the guild (member in name only, keeps her activities elsewhere)

5) Hailey keeps the bow, the guild gets the rest of pete's stuff.

6) Hailey is going to beat information about her father out of Tusky one way or another.

i agree and think similar, except for the first, 4th and last statements.
Haley is greedy enough to keep the loot that she looted from grubwiglers. Three times.
The fourth.. ehm, she's not willing to take part of the Thieves guild again, less under Bozzok's orders.
And the last one.. she's not showing any interest in his father for some time.. (like 400 strips)

Raging Gene Ray
2009-01-06, 06:19 AM
And the last one.. she's not showing any interest in his father for some time.. (like 400 strips)

Actually, it's more like 10 strips. And with Hank mentioning her father, it seems like Rich is finally tying up this loose end.

We'll probably learn what was in the letter that caused her father to leave as quickly as he did, which will open up more loose ends, and the cycle repeats. It's a beautiful thing.

Mauve Shirt
2009-01-06, 10:02 AM
I don't think Haley would agree to work for the guild again. Wouldn't she have to give up some of her treasure? That's why she left in the first place, because adventurers earn more money and they don't have to give it to Bozzok. She's still raising money to spring her father. Unless the entire thing with her father is included somehow in the contract.