PDA

View Full Version : Sheath of Uncertainty (Magic Item, in 3.5 and 4e flavors)

Glooble Glistencrist
2009-01-02, 11:57 AM
Once per encounter, whenever you draw a mundane weapon from this sheath, roll a d4 and adhere to the following table. The weapon gains that special quality until you put it back in it's sheath. It also gains an enhancement bonus equal to 1d4 (rolled at the same time.) This does not effect weapons which are already magical.

{table]result|quality
1|Flaming
2|Frost
3|Shock
4|Corrosive[/table]

Price: 25,000 gp.

4e
Item Slot:Special
25,000 gp.
Level 15
Power (encounter): When you draw a non-magical weapon from this sheath, roll a d10 and a d6. The weapon gains an enhancement bonus equal to the d6 results. As a minor action, it can be shifted to deal damage of a type determined by the d10 result:

{table]result|quality
1|Fire
2|Cold
3|Lightning
4|Acid
5|Thunder
6|Poison
7|Psychic
8|Radiant
9|Necrotic
10|Force[/table]

On a critical, the weapon deals extra 1d6 damage of that type per plus. These changes last until the end of the encounter.

Special: If you do not wield a magic weapon, the Sheath of Uncertainty fits into your weapon slot. Otherwise, it occupies your waist slot.

Any thoughts? Would anyone be crazy enough to use these in lieu of a +3/+4 Magic weapon? I know some PC's like a little uncertainty, but perhaps the randomness here is too much.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2009-01-02, 01:29 PM
Hmmm...I know I'd personally never use it in either system. In 3.5, I'd rather spend 25,000 gp on something I can use multiple times per encounter, or will be guaranteed to get me a good effect.

If 4e, I don't want anything that might decrease my chance to hit. If I roll a 1 on that die when I needed a 4, my accuracy goes to hell. I'd rather have a flat, but dependable, bonus. That said, I might be tempted to Powergame it with Quick Draw, draw a weapon, and then draw another if I didn't get a 5 or 6 before I should. Which, as a DM, I'd find mighty suspect. So I say no, but that's just me.

Alteran
2009-01-02, 01:40 PM
I also think that toying around with enhancement bonuses is a bit risky for me. Maybe instead of going from 1-6, roll 1d4 and add 1. That way you can't get as good, or as bad. The average would be 3.5, which is fair for a level 15 item. I realize you won't actually get a 3.5 at any time, but if level 11s get +3 weapons and level 19s get +4 weapons, then you're somewhere in the middle. I may lower it to level 13 to reduce the cost a bit, since there is some risk involved.

I'm more open to toying with weapon types, as long as I don't have a strategy that requires one or the other. The problem with the list you have there is that none of them seem to be better than others, so I have less incentive to roll that die instead of just picking one and sticking with it, perhaps one with better attributes.

I like the idea, but you've always got to be careful when you're risking your weapon's potency. :smalltongue: