PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand some song lyrics please.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-01-02, 01:13 PM
OK, I found this song (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yoN6XfyQsr4) due to the quote on the Stephen fry page on TV tropes. I get most of it but:
What four elements does he mean?
How does not buying Nesle/Coca-Cola fit in with the rest of the song, have they doen questionable things?
What is an NME?
Is there a significance to the Phoeeonix bit besides it sounding that way?
Help me for my touch with culture is below desired levels.

Dr. Bath
2009-01-02, 01:15 PM
1. Earth Fire Air and Water

2. Coca Cola and Nestle are big multinationals ergo bad.

3. A music magazine.

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-02, 01:24 PM
1) he is reffering to the four elements of hip-hop (just like it says on the chalk board before he moves to the next camera view with the photocopier). The four elements are: MCing, DJing, graffiti and dancing

2) coca-cola specifically has horrific records of environmental damage and anti-union activities. Theres a few documentries floating round on this issue. Mark Thomas has done a documentry and written a book on the subject if you wish to read up on whats probabl

Nestle have had a history of treating people crappy across the third world - wikipedia has a rough overview on the subject (although its obviously best to do your own research/read around a bit as wiki is not always to be relied upon)

3) nme = new musical express - as Dr Bath pointed out, a music magazine

4) nothing major - just pointing out a common spelling mistake

Kendrick
2009-01-04, 08:21 PM
The phoenix/pheonix thing is because he thinks words from other languages that are shamelessly stolen and used in English should have the spellings changed, to reflect how we pronounce them. It was pretty much just a random example picked for the sound.

Some of the song is explained in this interview.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uqalTO2udzM&feature=related

As for NME and Nestle, he's been on the NME cover and appeared in adverts for Nestle.

Thou shalt think for yourselves and say yes to money?

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-04, 08:47 PM
While this thread is up, I'd like some help.

Could someone explain, preferably line-by-line, what Butcher Pete (http://www.rockabilly.nl/lyrics1/b0153.htm) means? I'm fairly sure it has a hidden meaning, but I'm not sure what. Help!

jazz1m
2009-01-04, 09:26 PM
While this thread is up, I'd like some help.

Could someone explain, preferably line-by-line, what Butcher Pete (http://www.rockabilly.nl/lyrics1/b0153.htm) means? I'm fairly sure it has a hidden meaning, but I'm not sure what. Help!

Well, maybe it's just cuz I have a dirty mind but...besides the literal translation of this dude Pete was actually killing a bunch of ladies with a butcher knife, he could literally be a dude that goes around sexing up the ladies (and really whoever it seems, young ones, old ones even things that don't have bodies, like the wind!). Probably got jailed for his indiscretions but the ladies love getting chopped soo much they put him out on bail.

Of course, it could just be literal, but where's the fun in that.

Jack Squat
2009-01-04, 09:29 PM
Well, maybe it's just cuz I have a dirty mind but...besides the literal translation of this dude Pete was actually killing a bunch of ladies with a butcher knife, he could literally be a dude that goes around sexing up the ladies (and really whoever it seems, young ones, old ones even things that don't have bodies, like the wind!). Probably got jailed for his indiscretions but the ladies love getting chopped soo much they put him out on bail.

Of course, it could just be literal, but where's the fun in that.

it's the second one

Dragonrider
2009-01-04, 09:43 PM
My philosophy regarding song lyrics is probably a result of post-modernist discussion at a young age, but...I think they mean whatever you think they mean. :smalltongue:

Flame of Anor
2009-01-04, 09:46 PM
2. Coca Cola and Nestle are big multinationals ergo bad.

Coca-Cola is not evil. Nestle, on the other hand, kills babies. :smallfurious:

Illiterate Scribe
2009-01-04, 09:58 PM
Coca-Cola is not evil.

Oh yes it is. Oh yes it so is. Mark Thomas just did an excellent history of it, but it mostly boils down to:

intimidation of unions (Sinaltrainal)
not the best WWII record
deleterious effects on local water supply
a tendency to exonerate the above in reports commissioned by them

Yep, they aren't nice people. I'd say worse than Nestle.

Edit:Damn, I just triple-ninja'd the content of someone's post.

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-04, 10:00 PM
edit: damn ninjas

Coca-Cola is not evil.

they did create fanta specifically for the nazi german market (as i understand it)
they've caused untold environmental damage around the world though their lack of oversite to their subsidiares/licensees - a matter they're exceedingly slow to take a firmer hand on
they're heavily involve in anti union activities in south america

yep - they're all sweetness and light

Jack Squat
2009-01-04, 10:17 PM
Oh yes it is. Oh yes it so is. Mark Thomas just did an excellent history of it, but it mostly boils down to:

intimidation of unions (Sinaltrainal)
not the best WWII record
deleterious effects on local water supply
a tendency to exonerate the above in reports commissioned by them

Yep, they aren't nice people. I'd say worse than Nestle.

Edit:Damn, I just triple-ninja'd the content of someone's post.

The union's deal seems more like a problem with Columbia than with Coca-Cola. I also honestly believe that at least in the US, unions have served their purpose and should disband until they're needed again.

Could you explain the WWII record, and why it's evil? I didn't find anything in my quick search. If it's the Fanta thing mentioned above, I don't have a problem with marketing products to Germany then, it's not like they were giving them weapons.

Water supply seems to be due to poor management overseas. I don't see this as evil; inept maybe, but not evil.

As to your last thing, I still wouldn't say they're evil for not taking the blame for those...everything but the water supply doesn't look like it's their fault. If you could link me to the report that keeps getting brought up, I'll read it, but I don't think I'll be convinced.

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-04, 11:10 PM
unions are ALWAYS needed. Sadly they are often abused, but if you think they no longer fill a need in the work place then i suggest you think again. But thats a debate for another time

as for the fanta thing - creating products specifically for a foreign fascist regime (especially considering it was the nazis)... not really keen on the idea personally. Plus fanta requires gelatine in its creation (beta kerotine is used as the colouring in many countries), so on a personal level im not keen on companies who put cow in soft drinks

the water thing - its hardly inept. Its a continual pattern.

the gentlemens work that i would point you towards is Mark Thomas. he did a tv report for channel 4 in the uk called "Dispatches: Mark Thomas on Coca-Cola"

he also did a book on the subject called "Belching Out the Devil: Global Adventures with Coca-Cola" (Ebury Press ISBN 978-0091922931 (2008) )

Raewyn
2009-01-04, 11:40 PM
Possible explanation for the Nestle/Coke thing. (http://www.cracked.com/article_15967_awful-truth-behind-5-items-probably-on-your-grocery-list.html)

Hope that clears some things up.

Jack Squat
2009-01-04, 11:46 PM
I understand that Unions are good for keeping people from getting screwed over in pay and hours and stuff, but when you can't get fired because of them (saw a guy in an factory using a huge -20ft tall- hydraulic press to crush pop cans one at a time for the heck of it)...

Fanta: I have a feeling they were marketing it towards Germany, and not the smaller portion (IIRC 10%) that was actually Nazi. I have no problems with selling consumable goods to "bad guys", so long as it's not ammo and explosives. They did nothing unlawful. I'm fine with the gelatin use, but I can understand why you wouldn't be.

Water: From what I gathered, It's due to their inability to police their other factories. I'll check up on that though.

I'll check out that guy's stuff tomorrow, although by the title of his book, I'd say he's got a bit of an agenda.

Flame of Anor
2009-01-04, 11:48 PM
Well, okay, I didn't know that stuff about Coke. I guess I'm glad that I prefer RC...unless they use orphans in their flavoring???

xPANCAKEx
2009-01-04, 11:58 PM
Fanta: I have a feeling they were marketing it towards Germany, and not the smaller portion (IIRC 10%) that was actually Nazi. I have no problems with selling consumable goods to "bad guys", so long as it's not ammo and explosives. They did nothing unlawful. I'm fine with the gelatin use, but I can understand why you wouldn't be.

they did have a campaign of direct marketing to the hitler youth (adverts in their handbook/logbook). IIRC they created fanta as the ingrediants for coca-cola wern't readily available.

if i find the mark thomas documentry anywhere ill pm you the link - you'll probably find it interesting viewing

Killersquid
2009-01-05, 12:51 AM
This, my friends, is why you drink Pepsi.

Also it tastes better.

Evil DM Mark3
2009-01-05, 02:21 AM
OK apparently the four elements mentioned are the four elements of hip hop (Emceing, Dejaying, Break dancing and graphiti).

Now as for Fanta.

Fanta was not created by Nazis or for Nazis. During the second world war Coca-Cola's operations in Germany where extensive (their largest anywhere but America) but could not get ingredients. In order to save the jobs of the people working for him the German born head of Coca-Cola's German production invented Fanta from the left over by-products from other production processes. It was invented to keep ordinary people in their jobs and despite what most people assume simply being in Germany during WWII does not a Nazi make.

Tom_Violence
2009-01-06, 05:40 AM
Thou shalt think for yourselves and say yes to money?

I see no grand contradiction there. Principles are often the first thing to go when one is confronted by fiscal realities, but that doesn't mean you can't have them. :smalltongue: And hey, if one's message is 'work it out for yourself' then throwing in as many little confusions can only be a good thing really.

paladin_carvin
2009-01-06, 03:48 PM
I understand that Unions are good for keeping people from getting screwed over in pay and hours and stuff, but when you can't get fired because of them (saw a guy in an factory using a huge -20ft tall- hydraulic press to crush pop cans one at a time for the heck of it)...

Unions are like weapons: if you can't obtain them, you will be abused, but using them is almost as horrible as the abuse; they are threats that keep powers in check. Auto companies in this country (that is, the country I live in, the United States) have been screwed up by over-powered unions. On the other hand, Wal-Mart has obliterated union possibilities and thus can abuse even domestic labour. It's a fine line between being enslaved and killing your enemy, it seems...

Evil DM Mark3
2009-01-06, 04:03 PM
Thou shalt think for yourselves and say yes to money?Thou shalt not take thyself too seriously.

thubby
2009-01-07, 12:54 AM
am i the only one who sees the hypocrisy of this song?

Zeful
2009-01-07, 01:38 AM

Actually they were doing something illegal. America (the Allies?) placed an embargo on Germany during most of WWII..

Philistine
2009-01-08, 04:22 AM
That depends on how the company was structured. If the company spun off its German operations into an "independant" entity, the German-run subsidiary could very well have operated within Germany (and banking any profits until the Home Office was able to collect them after the war) without breaking the embargo.