PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Goblinscomic.com

fendermallot
2009-01-02, 01:50 PM
I tried to go there today and my virus software (avast) reported that a virus tried to download onto my computer. The virus was reported as: HTML:Iframe-inf Malware/Worm

If anyone has a way to contact the artist, or something... we should let him know.

It's possible that my virus software is picking it up as a false positive, but I'd rather not test that.

Tempest Fennac
2009-01-02, 02:06 PM
This happened a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to be caused by a Keenspot advert. Thunt said it was under control, but I'm guessing it came back (this was mentioned in the main Goblins thread).

sihnfahl
2009-01-02, 02:31 PM
Still there.

iframe src=*DELETED*fire.php width=1 height=1 style=\"display:none\"

I redirected *DELETED* to 127.0.0.1, so the iframe goes nowhere...

Oh and ....

No, it's not a false positive. It's a genuine attempt to infect your computer.

I would assume you use IE, as the script on the website uses a 0-day exploit for IE that was recently announced. I believe they have patched it, but you need to check with Windows Update.

Rutskarn
2009-01-02, 02:59 PM
I have Firefox, and I got the warning as well.

sihnfahl
2009-01-02, 03:15 PM
I have Firefox, and I got the warning as well.
Probably because it's part of the page served to you by the goblinscomic server (the .cn site's listed as bad on Google, BTW).

You're just getting the warning because your AV wants you to know it's done its job and kept you from going to a bad website in the first place.

edit: And it looks like Thunt finally pulled goblins until they can fix the ad issue.

Gez
2009-01-02, 03:49 PM
This is what you're talking about, right?
http://discussions.virtualdr.com/showthread.php?t=235707

sihnfahl
2009-01-02, 03:57 PM
This is what you're talking about, right?
That's the one.

Lissou
2009-01-02, 05:17 PM
Thunt went on the chatroom and he thinks it might be a hacker. He's working on the problem right now.

No need to let him know, his mailbox is full of emails on that subject, he's perfectly aware of it now.

I'll keep you informed if I learn more about what's going on.

EDIT: OKay, he fixed it as I was posting... Way to make me look like an idiot, Thunt! :P

Surfing HalfOrc
2009-01-05, 12:46 PM
Looks like the problem is fixed on his end, now I have to fix things on my end... :smallfrown:

Yep, I caught the virus, and possibly a second one at the same time when my daughter used my computer to d/l a new background for her MySpace. But Thunt included a link to a malware removal program that I'm going to have to try tonight. The virus short circuited my anti-virus, blocks access to the AV database site, blocks me from other AV sites, and provides me with numerous pop-up ads.

I've gotten rid of most of it (I think), but now my computer crashes quite often... Makes me want to try out Linux just to get away from Windows based viruses. Maybe an Ubuntu distro... Only my love of Warcraft II and Warcraft III keeps me on Windows. What's a good/better Win emulator than Wine? Luckily, I have a USB drive that will hold all my personal stuff until I finish some sort of Scorched Earth campaign to kill this virus once and for all... :smallfurious:

sihnfahl
2009-01-05, 04:32 PM
But Thunt included a link to a malware removal program that I'm going to have to try tonight.
Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware is good. It's cleaned up some really nasty stuff on a friend's comp.

Also, go to Trend Micro and download Hijack This! Looking at the report and googling the things in the report can tell you what to remove because it's malicious.

In the end, though, I'd probably just go with backing up the required files, downloading the latest drivers for all the hardware and wiping the drive. Start from scratch. It's really the only way to be 100% sure. (plus, your comp will have less junk on it...)

Berserk Monk
2009-01-10, 11:46 PM
You want to know what the problem with that comic is? Too many freakin' plot lines. Seriously. How many plot lines are there now:

That dwarf and fighter PC that killed the goblin camp
The new PCs that got killed in the fight
The dwarf paladin that's lawful good like Miko
That one goblin with the metal floaty ball that's searching the dungeon
The goblin investigating the dungeon and the hobgoblins fighting them
The goblins rescuing Thako or whatever his name is
The ranger guy whose part tree trying to stop the goblins

Did I name them all? Honestly, that's too many plot lines. The only thing there are more of than goblins is plot lines. And they never finish any of them. They think about it, but then they just keep adding plot lines.

averagejoe
2009-01-10, 11:51 PM
You want to know what the problem with that comic is? Too many freakin' plot lines. Seriously. How many plot lines are there now:

That dwarf and fighter PC that killed the goblin camp
The new PCs that got killed in the fight
The dwarf paladin that's lawful good like Miko
That one goblin with the metal floaty ball that's searching the dungeon
The goblin investigating the dungeon and the hobgoblins fighting them
The goblins rescuing Thako or whatever his name is
The ranger guy whose part tree trying to stop the goblins

Did I name them all? Honestly, that's too many plot lines. The only thing there are more of than goblins is plot lines. And they never finish any of them. They think about it, but then they just keep adding plot lines.

I'm fairly sure this sort of thing more properly belongs in the thread for the goblins comic, yes?

Also, you don't seem to know what a plot line is...