PDA

View Full Version : What classes were quite good in AD&D 2.5?

Roythebattousai
2009-01-02, 06:15 PM
I really want something that I can hold my own in both close combat and also have some magical abilities. Some sort of spellsword or something. Like... a warmage or something of the sort.

Something like that or any other suggestions that you all may have.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-02, 06:24 PM
Bards can use swords and have lower THAC0 than mages, and their faster level gain rate means they're actually better casters for all but very high levels... but I'm not sure which edition exactly does this apply to. Just repeating what I heard.

Another_Poet
2009-01-02, 06:26 PM
I assume you mean 3.5? If so, you might want to correct the thread title (hit "edit" on your original post and change the subject at the top).

Anyway, my recommendation would be to play a cleric and just do a lot of melee. It's very powerful and you don't really have to be "priesty" if you don't want.

Otherwise, warlock is very fun and gives you a lot of great battlefield control even though not really a gish.

On the other hand if the thread title isn't a typo and you really did mean 2.5, then I have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry. :)

Kurald Galain
2009-01-02, 06:51 PM
By 2.5, do you mean the Skills & Powers expansion books? Or did you really mean 3.5 (in which case I suggest Duskblade)? Or something else entirely?

Assuming 2nd edition, a good bet would be to dual class as a human. Take three levels of wizard or bard for the magical ability, then stock up on fighter levels for the close combat factor.

JaxGaret
2009-01-02, 06:54 PM
I really want something that I can hold my own in both close combat and also have some magical abilities. Some sort of spellsword or something. Like... a warmage or something of the sort.

Something like that or any other suggestions that you all may have.

I'm assuming you meant 3.5, not 2.5.

Do you want to focus more on the casting, or more on the close combat? For the latter, the Duskblade works quite well. So does the Druid. For the former, there are many, many options.

Tengu_temp
2009-01-02, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure he means 2.5, seeing that he said AD&D.

FantomFang
2009-01-02, 07:36 PM
I second the dual classed human. But I would recommend something different: a fighter/mage. Fighter/mages are great because you can get the great hp and specialize in a good weapon type, and then switch to mage to get all the great spellcasting while still retaining the martial training of the fighter (once you get to a higher level than you were at in fighter, of course).

In general, when they have the time to mature I would say fighter/Anything dual-classed can do very well.

Would say more, but as only about 15% of my AD&D experience was actual gaming, and the other 85% was PC games (xD) I'll leave it at that.

LibraryOgre
2009-01-02, 08:38 PM
If you're able to use Spells and Magic, then a Bard is a good option. You can pick up the armored casting options, as well as improved scroll use.

Matthew
2009-01-02, 09:48 PM
It sounds like you pretty much want an elf or half-elf fighter/magician. Beyond that there are all sorts of optional rules and such, but it depends on what your game master will allow.

hamlet
2009-01-03, 09:58 AM
Recommendation: pick up all of your AD&D 2.5 books and stack them in the middle of the driveway. Dowse with kerosene. Ignite.

The Skills and Powers books are the red headed stepchild of the D&D edition that is the red headed stepchild of ALL editions.

Kurald Galain
2009-01-03, 10:08 AM
The Skills and Powers books are the red headed stepchild of the D&D edition that is the red headed stepchild of ALL editions.

I think redheads are cute :smalltongue:

hamishspence
2009-01-03, 10:18 AM
since it was one of the earliest D&D editions for me (though I did have a copy of the Basic D&D set) I can tolerate its flaws. (and kinda wish some of the old monsters had made it to 3rd ed)

Alignment-wise, there are a few things I'm not fond of. Paladins falling for any Chaotic act, and permanently for any wilful Evil act (wasn't till 3.5 that the Permanent Fall was abolished. Neutral characters tending to suffer from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. CN characters being basically bug nuts. CG characters automatically being significantly more selfish than LG characters. All these come from PHB 2nd ed.

I tend to think 3.0-3.5 alignment steered in a better direction.

Noneoyabizzness
2009-01-03, 10:33 AM
what race? multiclass might be ideal if demihuman.

if human (and in ad&d why?) bard is ideal.

otherwise go with straight mage armored wizard and higher hitdie.

Paul H
2009-01-03, 10:34 AM
Hi

OK - AD&D it is.

Elven War Wizard (Ftr/Mage kit. Paraphrased From Complete Book of Elves).

Secondary Skills: Scribe, Tactitian

Wpn Profs: Bonus: Longbow, Longsword. Recommended: Shortbow, Shortsword, wpn style specialization (from Complete Fighter's Handbook).

Bonus Non Wpn Profs: Spellcraft, plus Engineering or Survival

Recommended NWP's: Blind-Fighting, Heraldry, Land-Based Riding, Langs (Anct or Modern), Set Snares, Weather Sense.

Special Benefits:

Can add +1 to attack rolls for duration of battle if:
1) War Wizard has chance to survey area & map it
2) WW has strategy meeting with all those to gain bonus
3) All members gaining bonus pass Int check depending on complexity of instructions & changes in terrain.

WW is allowed Wpn of Choice. +1 to hit with this wpn in addition to other bonuses.

WW is allowed Spell of Choice once/4 levels. Usually large-scale offensive. Never personal, unless has wider applications to whole party.
This spell not a bonus spell, but can be cast at +1 Initiative, or opponent takes -1 save.
Every successive 4 levels the bonus increases by one.

Special Hindrances:

Wpn choice limited to; Any Blade, Bow, or Lance ONLY.
Specific Code of Conduct that must be maintained.
WW belongs to a military unit, and must spend some time on 'Reserve duty', typically one month/year.

Wealth: 3D6x10 GP

Oh - and don't forget Bladesong Fighting style! :smallbiggrin:

Cheers
Paul H

Coplantor
2009-01-03, 10:39 AM
If you have no problem breaking the game and you have good con, wis and int, then go for psionicist, in 2nd ed, those guys were the equivalent of 3.5 druids, be a human psionicist and if you have acces to dark sun material, then play a thri kreen or half giant psionicist, of course, most of this will generate unmeasurable ammounts of rage in your DM, because he will have to learn how does psionic combat works.