PDA

View Full Version : [Screen Name] 'Brave' Knight of Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh
2004-07-21, 08:50 AM
Here goes. Some of it's abilities might seem a little fruity, or badly made. I'm not sure if some of them work properly, I haven't really revised it yet, but meh...

It's the FF5 Gilgamesh style, the one who always ran away, interpreted into another world, a DnD style world, with a bit of comic relief.

Link removed, see below for the Class, thanks.

Feedback please.

AngelSword
2004-07-21, 09:02 AM
Well, for one, you're going to need to transfer all of this onto the forum itself. There are some people (like myself) who cannot view this document, due to LAN filters and whatnot.

Gilgamesh
2004-07-21, 09:08 AM
I've copy-pasted it, the table's a bit squashed, but it's readable.

BRAVE KNIGHT OF GILGAMESH
If knights stand for bravery, honesty and justice, then the knights of Gilgamesh are anything but knights. Gilgamesh was a hero with the incredible ability to leave bits out of his tales that he didn't like, such as the time he got the Githzerai and Githyanki to ally with one another (against him and his knights). They also never seem to think they lose. He had a contradictive saying “If you’re alive at the end, then you’ve won and they’ve lost.”

The brave knights of Gilgamesh he set up when he decided he needed someone to distract his foes while he made a break for it. Of course he didn't tell them that, the first few thought they were brave warriors. But they did eventually start to copy Gilgamesh in battle, and learn to run when he ran and bluff when he bluffed and eventually became much like their 'grandmaster king dude' as he titled himself. He set up his order with their fabled weapon ‘Excalipur’ a cursed –5 longsword that convinces it’s wielder it’s of great power, the blade still exists, a few have been made in fact, and every order has one.

However the knights do possess a great deal of skill in combat and have mastered a great deal of abilities, it’s just unfortunate they only use it to save their own skin.

The knights have no particular alignment or deity, so anyone is welcome in the order except paladins and certain clerics. Gilgamesh's alignment changed many times depending on the situation, when in Baator for example, he exclaimed "Me? I'm as evil as you guys, I'll fit in here!" But when faced by Gold Dragons he was suddenly a vessel of pure justice. The knights themselves usually have no time to conflict with good or evil among their own, that would mean putting themselves in danger. Paladins who join the knights of Gilgamesh count in violation of their oath and many clerics see the cowardice as a violation of their dogma, and become ex-paladins or clerics, after all, everything they want to destroy, the brave knights want to stay well away from.

The orders Gilgamesh set up still exist around the world. Although nobody knows where Gilgamesh went after he was last seen dissappearing from the clutches of 'the mob'. Some say they got him, others say he's stuck in the astral plane, some say he's still hiding, and a very small few say he repented his cowardly ways and became a warrior of honour and dignity.
Hit Die: d10

Requirements
To qualify to become a brave knight of Gilgamesh, a character must fulfil all the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Escape Artist 6 ranks, Diplomacy 6 ranks.
Feats: Dash or Run.

Class Skills.
The brave knight of Gilgamesh’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

Skill Points Per Level: 4 + INT modifier.

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save
Special
1st +1 +2 +2 +0 Make Way
2nd +2 +3 +3 +0 But You’re So Big
3rd +3 +3 +3 +1 I Didn’t Do It
4th +4 +4 +4 +1 I Can Do That
5th +5 +5 +5 +1 Behind You
6th +6 +6 +6 +2 Changed My Mind
7th +7 +7 +7 +2 Keep Talking
8th +8 +8 +8 +2 Cheap Shot
9th +9 +9 +9 +3 Hit and Run
10th +10 +10 +10 +3 I Have To Go

Class Features
All of the following are class features for the brave knight of Gilgamesh prestige class.

Make Way: The brave knights are so adept at running away they gain Fast Movement at first level. This ability is identical to that of a 1st level barbarian ability. If the brave knight already has Fast Movement from another class, then he may use it even when wearing heavy armour or carrying a heavy load.

But You’re So Big: At 2nd level, a brave knight will do anything (pleading, complementing, licking boots) of a potential danger before fighting it, and thus gains a +4 bonus on all diplomacy checks to stop a foe from attacking him or harming him in any way. He gains a –4 penalty to intimidate checks he may later make against that foe within 24 hours.

I Didn’t Do It: At 3rd level , a brave knight may use his ranks of diplomacy instead of bluff to blame someone else for something he is responsible for. Brave knights are infamous for escaping blame.

I Can Do That: Brave knights like to show off their skills whenever possible, even those they don’t have. A 4th level brave knight may use any skill untrained. This ability is otherwise identical to the Jack Of All Trades feat.

Behind You: At 5th level a brave knight may attempt to trick his foe into letting her guard down. This is a free action that requires a bluff check against his foes sense motive. If he succeeds, his foe is denied his dexterity bonus to armour class until the end of the brave knights turn. To use 'Behind You' both subjects must be able to study each other, although behind you doesn't necessarily require vocalisation. A foe will only ever fall for 'Behind You' once per encounter.

Changed my Mind: Brave knights have a motto, in fact, they have quite a few. One of them is “If you are outdone, find someone weaker and pick on him”. A brave knight who charges out of combat against another foe, and provokes an attack of opportunity, may make a reflex save against that foes attack roll to escape damage, if he is hit.

Keep Talking: If you can’t escape, keep them talking until something happens to help you escape. A brave knight may fascinate his foes with stories, grovel and plead, or simply have a friendly chat with his foes to stop them from hurting him. He may make a diplomacy check against a foes sense motive, if he succeeds, that foe may not act on his next turn. This is a full round action, and a brave knight gains his ‘But You’re So Big’ bonus on this roll.

Cheap Shot: A charging brave knight may make additional attacks against foes he is charging past with a –4 penalty. For example, a brave knight with a base attack bonus of +20/+15/+10/+5 may charge a foe moving past 3 other foes and make a +16 attack against the first, +11 against the second, +6 against the third and +7 against the charged foe (with his charge bonus added).

Hit and Run: If the tables turn, have one last try, then run away. A brave knight of 9th level or higher may make a single attack against a foe he is withdrawing from at his full base attack bonus. If he drops the foe, he must continue to withdraw, regardless.

I Have to Go: By 10th level, a brave knight of Gilgamesh is so adept at wanting to be somewhere else when he’s in trouble, he can be there with just a thought. Once per day a brave knight can disappear in a blast of purple smoke and re-appear wherever he pleases so long as he has been to that place before and memorised it and the location is on the same plane as the Brave Knight. Should he lose his memory or take wisdom damage, a wisdom check DC20 can help him remember the place, if he has something to help remind him, such as a picture of the place or something vivid from that place he gains a +4 bonus on this check. Anyone touching a brave knight when he disappears may go with him if they both will it, any items in his possession will also be carried, however he may not take the possessions of someone whom is not travelling with him.

Zagaroth
2004-07-21, 12:07 PM
"but you're so big" is a 2nd level power by the chart, 4th level by the text.

Add a full line betwen powers, makes it easier to read when it's broken up a bit.

But I love the idea of the class! This is hilarious. :)

Zherog
2004-07-21, 02:12 PM
I've copy-pasted it, the table's a bit squashed, but it's readable.

BRAVE KNIGHT OF GILGAMESH
<<snipped the flavor text to save space>>

A fun read. :)

Requirements
To qualify to become a brave knight of Gilgamesh, a character must fulfil all the following criteria.
Skills: Escape Artist 4 ranks, Diplomacy 4 ranks.
Feats: Dash, Run.

On one hand, it's fairly easy to get into. On the other, taking up two feats for Dash and Run could be painful. I generally don't mind "wasting" one feat to gain entry to a prestige, but two needs to be a really strong class for me to ponder. And I mean really strong - I opted not to go into Frenzied Berserker because I thought it wasn't worth "wasting" two feats. Of course, I'm currently drawing a complete blank on what Dash does, so it might be OK requirements.

Class Skills.
The brave knight of Gilgamesh’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

The skill list is good. However, you forgot to mention how many skill points per level. I'd assume 2 + Int, but you may wanna add it in. ;)

Class Features
All of the following are class features for the brave knight of Gilgamesh prestige class.

You don't mention weapon and armor proficiencies.

Also, Zagaroth already suggested putting a blank line between abilities, which would really help. You may also want to consider using things such as bold face on the ability names to help them stand out further.

Finally on general stuff about class abilities - you should indicate whether the abilities are Ex, Su or Sp.

But You’re So Big: At 4th level, a brave knight will do anything (pleading, complementing, licking boots) of a potential danger before fighting it, and thus gains a +4 bonus on all diplomacy checks to stop a foe from attacking him or harming him in any way. He gains a –4 penalty to intimidate checks he may later make against that foe within 24 hours.

That penalty is mostly meaningless, since Intimidate isn't a class skill anyway. Odds are they won't be trying it very often.

Also, as Zag pointed out, there's a discrepency between the text and the table.

I Didn’t Do It: At 3rd level , a brave knight may use his ranks of diplomacy instead of bluff to blame someone else for something he is responsible for. Brave knights are infamous for escaping blame.

Interesting flavor ability. I like flavor abilities. :)

Behind You: At 5th level a brave knight may attempt to spend his turn tricking his foe into letting her guard down. This is a full round action that requires a bluff check against his foes sense motive. If he succeeds, his foe is denied his dexterity bonus to armour class until the brave knights next turn, or until the distracted foe takes damage. A brave knight may only ever use Behind You once per combat encounter.

This ability is worthless as written, because you can already use the Bluff skill (as a standard action) to do this very thing - it's called feinting.

Changed my Mind: Brave knights have a motto, in fact, they have quite a few. One of them is “If you are outdone, find someone weaker and pick on him”. A brave knight may make a full round action to charge out of combat with one foe, against another, without provoking an attack of opportunity.

This has some abuse potential, with things like Rhino Hide armor and the such. There are many builds that rely heavily on charging, and this feature makes it that much better.

Keep Talking: If you can’t escape, keep them talking until something happens to help you escape. A brave knight may fascinate his foes with stories, grovel and plead, or simply have a friendly chat with his foes to stop them from hurting him. He may make a diplomacy check against a foes sense motive, if he succeeds, that foe may not act on his next turn. This is a full round action, and a brave knight gains his ‘But You’re So Big’ bonus on this roll.

This is, essentially, the same as a Monk's stunning fist except it's Diplomacy vs Sense Motive instead of a Will Save. Odds are, it'll succeed a lot more often. That may or may not be a bad thing - I'm not sure yet.

Cheap Shot: A charging brave knight may make additional attacks against foes he is charging past with a –4 penalty. For example, a brave knight with a base attack bonus of +20/+15/+10/+5 may charge a foe moving past 3 other foes and make a +16 attack against the first, +11 against the second, +6 against the third and +7 against the charged foe (with his charge bonus added).

Interesting.

Hit and Run: If the tables turn, have one last try, then run away. A brave knight of 9th level or higher may make a single attack against a foe he is withdrawing from at his full base attack bonus. If he drops the foe, he must continue to withdraw, regardless.

I think I like this ability. I don't think it's abusable, at least very easily.

I Have to Go: By 10th level, a brave knight of Gilgamesh is so adept at wanting to be somewhere else when he’s in trouble, he can be there with just a thought. Once per day a brave knight can disappear in a blast of purple smoke and re-appear wherever he pleases so long as he has been to that place before and memorised it. Should he lose his memory or take wisdom damage, a wisdom check DC20 can help him remember the place, if he has something to help remind him, such as a picture of the place or something vivid from that place he gains a +4 bonus on this check. Anyone touching a brave knight when he disappears may go with him if they both will it, any items in his possession will also be carried, however he may not take the possessions of someone whom is not travelling with him.

Does this ability span planes? If so, you may want to make mention of that specifically.

I know my criticisms probably sound harsh, but I actually like this class - very fun!

Ikkitosen
2004-07-21, 08:30 PM
An excellent read, plus I can't help but think "Brave brave Sir Robin" from Holy Grail ;D

Hilarious!

Starbuck_II
2004-07-21, 10:16 PM

Requirements
Skills: Escape Artist 4 ranks, Diplomacy 4 ranks.
Feats: Dash, Run.

Okay Dash I know adds +5 speed in light armor(or none) and light load(song & silence book).
i've never used run, but the ability fits.
I wonder if D12 is too much, but I guess D10 is good enough.

Class Skills.
The brave knight of Gilgamesh's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Tumble (Dex).

I think Intimidate should be a class skill: if you intimidate a foe he won't fight against you often. He'll be too scared lol.
I suggest 4+Int skill points. He needs it, he isn't a pure fghter.

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save
Special
1st +1 +2 +2 +0 Make Way
2nd +2 +3 +3 +0 But You're So Big
3rd +3 +3 +3 +1 I Didn’t Do It
4th +4 +4 +4 +1 I Can Do That
5th +5 +5 +5 +1 Behind You
6th +6 +6 +6 +2 Changed My Mind
7th +7 +7 +7 +2 Keep Talking
8th +8 +8 +8 +2 Cheap Shot
9th +9 +9 +9 +3 Hit and Run
10th +10 +10 +10 +3 I Have To Go

You say 4th Level "But You're So Big"in text but 2nd in chart.
You say in text lv 2 when get "I Can Do That", which might be why you put lv 4 for "But ...so Big"

Behind You: At 5th level a brave knight may attempt to spend his turn tricking his foe into letting her guard down. This is a full round action that requires a bluff check against his foes sense motive. If he succeeds, his foe is denied his dexterity bonus to armour class until the brave knights next turn, or until the distracted foe takes damage. A brave knight may only ever use Behind You once per combat encounter.

Only thing different between this ability and Skill Bluff is ranged attacks apply unlike the skill. If you can only use it once a battle well, it is not very useful.

Gilgamesh
2004-07-22, 06:17 AM
Thanks everyone.

'But you're so big', is supposed to be a second level ability. I changed it a lot before I posted it, and obviously didn't notice that.

The idea was generally speed, I've changed a few things now, in regard to what's been said. Tell me what you think again.

Requirements
Skills: Escape Artist 6 ranks, Diplomacy 6 ranks.
Feats: Dash or Run.

Class Skills.
Gains 4 + Intelligence modifier skills per level.

Behind You: At 5th level a brave knight may attempt to trick his foe into letting her guard down. This is a free action that requires a bluff check against his foes sense motive. If he succeeds, his foe is denied his dexterity bonus to armour class until the end of the brave knights turn. To use 'Behind You' both subjects must be able to study each other, although behind you doesn't necessarily require vocalisation. A foe will only ever fall for 'Behind You' once per encounter.

Changed my Mind: Brave knights have a motto, in fact, they have quite a few. One of them is “If you are outdone, find someone weaker and pick on him”. A brave knight who charges out of combat against another foe, and provokes an attack of opportunity, may make a reflex save against that foes attack roll to escape damage, if he is hit.

I Have to Go: By 10th level, a brave knight of Gilgamesh is so adept at wanting to be somewhere else when he’s in trouble, he can be there with just a thought. Once per day a brave knight can disappear in a blast of purple smoke and re-appear wherever he pleases so long as he has been to that place before and memorised it and the location is on the same plane as the Brave Knight. Should he lose his memory or take wisdom damage, a wisdom check DC20 can help him remember the place, if he has something to help remind him, such as a picture of the place or something vivid from that place he gains a +4 bonus on this check. Anyone touching a brave knight when he disappears may go with him if they both will it, any items in his possession will also be carried, however he may not take the possessions of someone whom is not travelling with him.

GeeVee
2004-07-22, 01:34 PM
This would be just the thing for one of my players. He usually plays a Barbarian, but he never uses Rage, thus wasting the main feature of the Barbarian. He never plays fighters and never runs away because he sucks at it. Don't ask me why.

Assassin89
2008-12-03, 11:08 PM
How about adding the ability to have an animal companion because Gilgamesh does have Enkidu.