PDA

View Full Version : SoI just recieved three boxes of RPGs...

OwlbearUltimate
2009-01-03, 12:06 AM
The title says it all, I just received three filled boxes of old RPG books and campaigns from a local system known as "Freecycle." Now, along with it has come many questions. First, I would like to state that the games are as follows, AD&D (including tons of random books), AD&D 2nd edition (including The Forgotten Realms campaign with additions, Dragonlance, and many other random books), Star Trek RPG, Gamma World RPG, Robotech RPG, Star Wars RPG, Rifts RPG, and many other little pick-up games. About half the books are AD&D however. I have three primary questions though, one is, are the AD&D editions 1 and 2 compatible? Some of the campaign addition say they are, but I have varies rulebooks for both versions so I am wondering if I can use both together. Second, of all the RPGs listed above, are any really worth spending the time to learn? (Besides D&D of course) Lastly, does anyone know where one can find old rules to the 2nd edition AD&D system in case I am missing a vital book, which I think I am. Thanks before hand, this is a lot to ask. :smallsmile:

RandomNPC
2009-01-03, 12:16 AM
to the right people you've got a gold mine, to everyone who isn't a rpg player you've got a stack of paper.

star wars is the only one i've witnessed, my sugestion would be to build a sniper, a good rifle does more damage a lot farther away than light sabers.

Grail
2009-01-03, 12:29 AM
There were quite a few changes from 1e AD&D to 2e, but saying that, the basic and underlying system did remain very similar. Source books would be a struggle to use between systems for anything mechanical, but for pure fluff they'd be fine. Adventures would require only a little modification of encounters. Hell, I've run 1e adventures for my 3.5 game.

RebelRogue
2009-01-03, 12:37 AM
Seconded: it's really not that hard to run material intended for one edition under another, provided you've got some basic working knowledge of the systems involved. For instance, I've recently run an OD&D module in a 4th ed game without much work (I whipped up stats for some key monster and handwaved a bit).

Another_Poet
2009-01-03, 12:52 AM
If you can't find a use for them feel free to mail them to me :)

Also, long live Freecycle!

ap

Lert, A.
2009-01-03, 12:54 AM
Taking time to learn? Probably not, unless you can find a gaming group that uses old systems.

Useful? Absolutely. I haven't played Rifts for years, but I still pore over those books.

Thrud
2009-01-03, 01:06 AM
Woo Hoo, Long live Gamma World!

Walking talking mutant Fir Trees RULE, especially when they have 7 arms each of which holds a sawed off double barreled shotgun loaded with buckshot. Expensive on the ammo, but anything within about 30 feet of you just gets reduced to PASTE!

:smallbiggrin:

Agrippa
2009-01-03, 01:45 AM
What's Freecycle?

Matthew
2009-01-03, 07:02 AM
I have three primary questions though, one is, are the AD&D editions 1 and 2 compatible? Some of the campaign addition say they are, but I have varies rulebooks for both versions so I am wondering if I can use both together.

They are about 90%+ compatible; second edition was designed to be backwards compatible.

Second, of all the RPGs listed above, are any really worth spending the time to learn? (Besides D&D of course)

Only if you plan on playing them.

Lastly, does anyone know where one can find old rules to the 2nd edition AD&D system in case I am missing a vital book, which I think I am. Thanks before hand, this is a lot to ask. :smallsmile:

You can download pdfs from Paizo or RPGNow for $4-5 a go, or you can probably buy any missing books from somewhere like Noble Knight Games. If you just want to know which ones you are missing, head along to TSR Archive (http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/index.htm). You can also download many items for free from the Wizards of the Coast Previous Edition Downloads (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads) page.

hamlet
2009-01-03, 09:54 AM
You have quite the gold mine there.

As for AD&D 1e and 2e compatability, the two are even more compatible than Matthew lets on. I've never had a problem using the modules interchangeably except in a very few notable cases. Namely, giants, dragons, and demons/devils. All you need to do is be on the look out for a little wonkiness and you'll do fine.

Are they worth "learning"? Absolutely. Even if you never play them, if you have even half of the books of the respective systems, they're just overflowing with excellent ideas and great stuff. I'd especially recommend mixing Gamma World (Which version by the way? First and 2nd edition of that were always the best by far.) and Rifts. Depending on which way you move materials, they make a most satisfying, if chaotic, stew.

The only rules books you need for 2nd edition in order to play it are the PHB, and DMG, and a monster manual. After that, everything's just gravy. In fact, I'd seriously and honestly recommend using ONLY those three books as your core materials and hand picking any other rules out of other books singly that you feel will add spice to your game. The key to 2nd edition (or any D&D game for that matter) is the simplicity of the core and the ability to tack other things on as you need or want them.

One more note on mixing things . . . AD&D and Gamma World make an excellent mix as well. Imagine going through the Temple of Elemental Evil and finding that the cultists have unearthed ancient and devatstating laser weapons from an ancient and advanced society . . .

RandomNPC
2009-01-03, 10:55 AM
ok, read my post from before, and it still stands, i just want to put out there, i didn't mean to sound so munchkiny.

most people in my group go for the physical damage right out, so we had a four armed cold weather brute who was going for multi-attack with 4 light sabers, a human going for the heavy force use, and me, doing an extra d8 above what they could do, and i was doing it while the bad guys were still two full rounds of charging at us away. It's the only time i've been more usefull than either of them in combat, because i usually try to play a character, not a doom bringing damage machine.

on a more awake note, all you seem to be missing from my dream treasure chest is a paranoia book and a group of gamers willing to play all those systems. so if you live anywhere near Ohio, lets get together and start rolling dice.

...Despicable..
2009-01-03, 02:29 PM
snip

Can you please tell us how you got this wonderful treat?

Also, Rifts is a fun system. Strange, but fun. At the very least it's fluff could make for some inspiration reading.

OwlbearUltimate
2009-01-04, 12:10 AM
Thanks everyone for the help! Yeah, my group and I are going to start second edition. Apparently the former owner was something of a RPG god. I found some of his notes and the care he put into his campaign details...its amazing. I also found a character sheet for his Vietnam RPG and his artwork was great too. Any other info I should have on second edition that would prove to be helpful?

Grail
2009-01-04, 12:11 AM
Oh, and the West End Games Star Wars is IMO superior to the d20 versions. Lots of fun to be had with that one.

Matthew
2009-01-04, 04:47 AM
Thanks everyone for the help! Yeah, my group and I are going to start second edition. Apparently the former owner was something of a RPG god. I found some of his notes and the care he put into his campaign details...its amazing. I also found a character sheet for his Vietnam RPG and his artwork was great too. Any other info I should have on second edition that would prove to be helpful?

Probably the best place to go for second edition discussion is Dragonsfoot (http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2). Lots of helpful threads there, and David "Zeb" Cook has a questions and answers thread in the general forum.

Thurbane
2009-01-04, 08:44 PM
1E to 2E is probably the most sutle of edition changes, and quite usable with very minor tweaks. The changes between 2E, 3E and 4E are much more pronounced...