PDA

View Full Version : [Screen Name] Evil Of Yore

evileeyore
2004-07-24, 01:39 AM
Evil of Yore, Seekers/Initiates of

HISTORY

Long ago a great evil was commited to paper. This is its story.

The Dark God of Secrets and Lost Knowledge grew to desire more. More Knowledge misplaced, more Secrets gathered, more Direct Temporal Power. His followers lashed with visions, plagued by portentious nightmares, sought these things for their beloved Deity.

Wars were fought, power gathered, secrets created, knowledge hidden. But not all went as the Dark One planned.

Heroes arose, as they always do, and waged their own war against the Followers of That Which is Best Not Known. The Dark Society began to split, plagued with internal troubles and external forces the Followers schismed. It truly appeared that not only would Good triumph, but the Dark's time was drawning to a close. Permanently.

All seemed hopeless for the Dark.

Two powerful leaders arose, fevered with forgotten lore, driven by desperate visions, they concocted a cunning plan. They would create a Tome. This book would contain all the hidden secrets, all the lost knowledge, all the Dark Ones yearnings. It would pass from Faithful to Faithful down the ages, insuring the Deities continuance.

For that which is remembered, cannot truly die.

It is unknown exactly how the Grimoire came into being, indeed none are even sure what it is constructed from. It is said that the Society of the Dark ceased to be. It is rumored that a certain God was imprisoned, a Deity that could not die. It is believed that the Dark is still worshipped in hiding, in secret places, lost to the world. It is wispered that the book, titled Evil of Yore, comes to those that deserve it. It is feared that this blasphemy contains secrets to free the Dark once more.

The Evil of Yore comes to those who most desire hidden knowledge, or those that already know too many secrets. The 'Tome' appears differently to each new Seeker, and only to one Seeker at a time. It whispers all the lost knowledge of the Dark, teaching the Initiate, readying them for the sought after return of the Lost God.

COMPATABILITY
This PrC would easily fit Vecna, should Vecna's history be slightly 'altered', or the PrC's flavor text. Otherwise it can be slid into any campaign world that does not contian a Deity of Secrets and Lost Knowledge.

PRE-REQUISITES
Alignment: Any Evil
Skills: 5 ranks in Knowledge (Arcane) and Knowledge (History), 2 ranks in Decipher Script.
Save: Will +7
Spells: Able to cast five different divination spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher.
Special: Must have uncovered a previously well hidden secret; made secret or destroyed some bit of knowledge; or been the recipient of a carefully worded Wish or Miracle. Must swear a pact with the Dark, when they gain possession of the book.

ABILITIES
Hit Die: d4
Skill Points: 4 + Int
Class Skills: Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken separately) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

{table]

Level

BAB

Fort

Ref

Will
Special
Caster Level

Whispered Secrets
+1 caster level

Cruel Knowledge
+1 caster level

Dark Following
+1 caster level

Lost Arts
+1 caster level

Keeper of Secrets

[/table]

ABILITY DESCRIPTIONS

Note: Henceforth though the terms Seeker and Initiate will be freely interchanged, it should be noted that Seeker applies (generally) to Arcanists, and Initiate (generally) to Divinists. Also although the libram Evil of Yore is known by many names ("The Grimoire Foul', 'The Heart of the Dark', 'Bible of Heresy', etc) it shall be refered to as 'The Tome' herein.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Seekers gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: When a new EoY level of 1-4 is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if they had also gained a level in a spellcasting class they belonged to before they added the prestige class. They do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. This essentially means that they add the class level of EoY to the level of some other spellcasting class the character has, then determines spells per day, spells known, and caster level accordingly. If they had more than one spellcasting previously, they choose one at the first level of EoY and this is the class to which they add henceforth.

Whispered Secrets (SU): The Initiate gains insights into the world around him from the secrets whispered to him from The Tome. This ability is identical to the Bardic Knowledge ability and indeed levels in EoY will add as a bonus to the Bardic Knowledge ability or such similiar abilities (Loremasters 'Lore', Courtiers 'Gossip', etc). Though the bonus added from EoY is Supernatural the initial ability is not changed.

Cruel Knowledge(EX): At second level the Seeker gains a profane bonus to their Knowledge skills equal to their EoY class level.

Dark Following: The Initiate gains a following of like minded individuals. This ability functions just like the feat Leadership, except that the cohort and all followers are evil. If the Initiate already had the Leadership feat (or gains it later), they gain a profane bonus to their Leadership score equal to their EoY class level. Any cohort or followers they already have that are not evil will slowly leave as they become displeased by the Initiates growing secretiveness. New followers and cohort will be drawn to replace them as openings become avialable.

Lost Arts: The Seeker gains a Meta Magic or Item Creation feat.

Keeper of Secrets(SU): The Initiate gains a profane bonus to their caster level and to their stat for determining spells per day and save DCs. This bonus is equal to either their Int or Wis bonus, whichever was not previously used. EI: An Intelligence caster would add their Wisdom bonus, a wisdom based caster their Intelligence, a Charisma caster would choose one at this point and it would remain their bonus henceforth.

Ex-Seekers/Initiates of Evil of Yore: If a Seeker stops being evil, or breaks their pact, they may not advance until they atone, and their alignment is restored. Should they lose The Tome before acheiving 5th level, they can not gain any more levels in EoY until it is regained. They do not lose any abilities during this period and do not require atonement.

The Dark Pact: I shall seek after secrets. I shall never willingly divulge a secret. I shall seek knowledge. I shall not freely distribute knowledge. I shall work towards the restoration of the Dark.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This was initially the Society of the Dark, and that reference has remined in the flavor text. The Keeper of Secrets ability was altered greatly, and the others to a lesser degree. I have two expanded PrCs the Seeker of Enlightenment and the Initiates of Knowledge, they are both 10 level PrC's, that were eventually derived from this little 5 leveler.

However I really like 5 level PrCs, so I chose to adapt the SocDark for this contest. I also really PrCs that can either be Arcane or Divine. Enjoy.

Envoy of the Dark--EvilE

guessmith
2004-07-25, 02:58 AM
Cooool. I like it a lot!

Fenris
2004-07-25, 06:38 AM
Nice, I am already scared of them.

The Keeper of secrets is a little confusing let me give an example to make sure I understand it. If I am a wizard with Int 18 and wisdom 14, I am treated as having a 20 intellegence when determining my spells per day? And I would cast as 2 caster levels higher, for wizard spells?

Dark Pact can the Seeker/Intiate share secrets or knowledge with his cult?

Cruel Knowledge You don't know how much I like this ability. I am a big knowledge Skill player and this would be some good. (I often have at least ten knowledge skills on my characters)

This Prc would be great for an adventure where the PC had find a lost temple and only the seeker knows where it is.

Do you have the other PRC that go with this one somewhere I could look at them?

evileeyore
2004-07-25, 05:35 PM
The Keeper of secrets is a little confusing let me give an example to make sure I understand it. If I am a wizard with Int 18 and wisdom 14, I am treated as having a 20 intellegence when determining my spells per day? And I would cast as 2 caster levels higher, for wizard spells?

Ahem, sorry my mistake. I meant for the bonus to add to spells per day, save dcs, and caster level.

Correct you are treated as a 20 Int for spells per day and save DCs, be at a +2 to caster level (spell effects, duration, area, etc).

Sorry about the confusion. This PrC was originally meant for any spellcasters. It would be much simpler if I just narrowed it down, though (to say Wizards). I'll think on that.

Dark Pact can the Seeker/Intiate share secrets or knowledge with his cult?

In my campiagn, No. This is one of the reasons the Society of the Dark fell in the first place. Only being able to discuss 'secrets' that others already know of, and not being able to freely dispense knowledge to your followers makes it very tough to be a leader.

However I can easily see the restriction being lifted in the case of those who have initiated and also sworn the Dark Pact.

Cruel Knowledge You don't know how much I like this ability. I am a big knowledge Skill player and this would be some good. (I often have at least ten knowledge skills on my characters)

I love Knowledge skills. In our home games we allow Bards to add their ranks in Knowledge to Bardic Knowledge checks, if applicable. Anything to promote characters having Knowledge skills.

Do you have the other PRC that go with this one somewhere I could look at them?

Actually they are zipped at my friends house, so I'll have to get him to email it to me. I only requested the original PrC so I coulkd spruce it up and present it here (also it worked well with my screen name). I'll see about adding the other two later this week for your (and others) veiwing pleasure.

The other two PrCs came to replace this one, when I realized that this PrC is not optimal for Clerics, Druids, Bards, or Sorcerors. In fact the only Class it really enhances is the Wizard.

The other two more represented a split between Arcane and Divine leanings. Still the Seeker (arcane) PrC was really only good for Wizards. I might try to broaden it, or add a third for Bards and Sorcerors.

However I was really trying to make a generally good PrC for both, and learned it just doesn't work. Either the Clerics will lose Hit Die, BAB, and Turn/Rebuke, just to gain a handful of abilities; or the PrC will really boost Wizards.

TTFN--EvilE

Zherog
2004-07-26, 04:15 PM
Very nice. Would make for a great BBEG in a campaign!

<<snipped flavor text>>

Good flavor text. Descriptive and interesting.

COMPATABILITY
This PrC would easily fit Vecna, should Vecna's history be slightly 'altered', or the PrC's flavor text. Otherwise it can be slid into any campaign world that does not contian a Deity of Secrets and Lost Knowledge.

This was something added to Complete Divine that I really liked a lot. Nice to see it here.

PRE-REQUISITES
Alignment: Any Evil
Skills: 5 ranks in Knowledge (Arcane) and Knowledge (History), 2 ranks in Decipher Script.
Save: Will +7
Spells: Able to cast five different divination spells, one of which must be 3rd level or higher.
Special: Must have uncovered a previously well hidden secret; made secret or destroyed some bit of knowledge; or been the recipient of a carefully worded Wish or [/i]Miracle[/i]. Must swear a pact with the Dark, when they gain possession of the book.

Your italics tags around "Miracle" are wrong - you'll wanna fix that. ;) Nice pre-reqs overall, though.

ABILITIES
Hit Die: d4
Skill Points: 4 + Int
Class Skills: Class skills: Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken separately) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int)

Looks good.

<<table snipped>>

Your progressions are incorrect. Base Attack Bonus should progress as: 0, 1, 1, 2, 2. Fort and Reflex are progressed correctly. Will should progress as: 2, 3, 3, 4.

ABILITY DESCRIPTIONS

You're missing weapon and armor proficiencies (which probably are none, but should be explicitly stated).

Whipsered Secrets (SU): The Initiate gains insights into the world around him from the secrets whispered to him from The Tome. This ability is identical to the Bardic Knowledge ability and indeed levels in EoY will add as a bonus to the Bardic Knowledge ability or such similiar abilities (Loremasters 'Lore', Courtiers 'Gossip', etc). Though the bonus added from EoY is Supernatural the initial ability is not changed.

"Whispered" is spelled wrong ;) . Otherwise, this is a good flavor ability.

Cruel Knowledge(EX): At second level the Seeker gains a profane bonus to their Knowledge skills equal to their EoY class level.

I love abilities like this! But I guess everybody knows that by now. ;)

Dark Following: The Initiate gains a following of like minded individuals. This ability functions just like the feat Leadership, except that the cohort and all followers are evil. If the Initiate already had the Leadership feat (or gains it later), they gain a profane bonus to their Leadership score equal to their EoY class level. Any cohort or followers they already have that are not evil will slowly leave as they become displeased by the Initiates growing secretiveness. New followers and cohort will be drawn to replace them as openings become avialable.

Interesting twist on the Leadership feat.

Keeper of Secrets(SU): The Initiate gains a profane bonus to their caster level and to their stat for determining spells per day and save DCs. This bonus is equal to either their Int or Wis bonus, whichever was not previously used. EI: An Intelligence caster would add their Wisdom bonus, a wisdom based caster their Intelligence, a Charisma caster would choose one at this point and it would remain their bonus henceforth.

And here's the payoff ability! Very nice. Overall, it's well balanced - this rockin' ability is balanced by some weaker abilities earlier on and also by the sacrifice of spells at this level.

Ex-Seekers/Initiates of Evil of Yore: If a Seeker stops being evil, or breaks their pact, they may not advance until they atone, and their alignment is restored. Should they lose The Tome before acheiving 5th level, they can not gain any more levels in EoY until it is regained. They do not lose any abilities during this period and do not require atonement.

Ah - a "code of conduct" so to speak. Good flavor.

And here I was expecting a class about evil donkeys that said, "Oh, bother" all day long! ;D One nitpicky thing - your entire screen name is supposed to be part of the class name. You have a few letters missing. ;)

Zherog
2004-07-26, 04:18 PM
I love Knowledge skills. In our home games we allow Bards to add their ranks in Knowledge to Bardic Knowledge checks, if applicable. Anything to promote characters having Knowledge skills.

TTFN--EvilE

Have you seen Amber's tweak to the knowledge skills (http://www.giantitp.com/Func0019.html) located on Giant's Function (http://www.giantitp.com/function.html) page?

evileeyore
2004-07-26, 10:41 PM
Very nice. Would make for a great BBEG in a campaign!

Yeah, it screams cult leader. Or Advisor to King... Dum, dum, dum!

This was something added to Complete Divine that I really liked a lot. Nice to see it here.

That would be where the inspiration came from. I liked the way they put that book together too.

Your italics tags around "Miracle" are wrong - you'll wanna fix that. ;) Nice pre-reqs overall, though.

I keep thinking I fixed that. Okay I fixed it this time...

Hang on I'll check. Yep, its fixed.

Your progressions are incorrect. Base Attack Bonus should progress as: 0, 1, 1, 2, 2. Fort and Reflex are progressed correctly. Will should progress as: 2, 3, 3, 4.

I seemed to have hedged out the BAB and put the Fort save in its place as well. Its fixed.

The Will save however is correct at 2, 3, 3, 4, 4. Sure you weren't reading REF save or something there?

You're missing weapon and armor proficiencies (which probably are none, but should be explicitly stated).

"Whispered" is spelled wrong ;) . Otherwise, this is a good flavor ability.

Added, fixed. Are you a professional editor by trade?

I love abilities like this! But I guess everybody knows that by now. ;)

So do I! As I mentioned to Fenris, anything to add to PC having Knowledge skills.

I have run too many games with PC who's characters automatically act as if they have memed the Monster Manual. Got to the point I run without it. Or I run GURPS... Okay I admit I prefer GURPS (but I still change monsters around...)

Interesting twist on the Leadership feat.

I have to admit I encountered its like in another PrC. I liked the twist so much I yoinked it. I think I added the 'becomes a bonus if possess the Feat' thing though. I've had a few characters end up getting Leadership multiple times (at sixthed level, as a bonus feat, and as a class ability once...) and felt somehow... cheated. I feel that if the characters are going to end up doubling up on throw away feats, they should get something for it... sometimes.

And here's the payoff ability! Very nice. Overall, it's well balanced - this rockin' ability is balanced by some weaker abilities earlier on and also by the sacrifice of spells at this level.

I loved this ability, no DM ever allowed into any homebrew PrC (so I added it to a few in my games...). I admit to stealing the 'drop a spell progression level' idea from the [Screen Name]Pupil of Abelard thread. The PrC originally had a 5 level spell progression. But after I read through Abelard's PrC and saw the feedback he got I realized I would need a tone down.**

Ah - a "code of conduct" so to speak. Good flavor.

All Gods should have a "code of conduct". And not just the 'loose alignment cover'. In my homesetting, all Gods have a code of conduct.

And here I was expecting a class about evil donkeys that said, "Oh, bother" all day long! ;D One nitpicky thing - your entire screen name is supposed to be part of the class name. You have a few letters missing. ;)

It was a close call actually. I was developing a 'ranger' PrC called Evil's Eeyores (but they weren't donkeys)... but I would be nice to have it 'printable' and not be sued by Disney, or upset any fans of Alan Alexander Milne.

I think the PrC is strong enough to survive the loss of points over the dropping of two letters. Atleast I hope to see the semi-finals, and not through binocs in the top rows...

**This whole contest has been very instructive in PrC building. I can see where I have gone wrong in the past, and have learned a few tricks to bringing PrCs into 'acceptable' power ranges. My gaming group sucks for constructive critiscisms. Its all "I don't know man, its just too powerful/not right/too lame.... :shrug:"

So I have to say hats off to the Giant, for this awesome learning experience.

I am not nether kissing--EvilE

evileeyore
2004-07-26, 11:13 PM
Yes and i love those rules. However my group sees it as "EvilE is trying to cheese his characters more power..." :sigh:

Unfortunately in most of my groups eyes, Knowledge skills still rank below Balance, Climb, Jump, and Swim.

It should be noted that I am the only one in our group who has seriously put precious skill points into Balance, Climb, Jump, and Swim...

I also play Rogues with no ranks in Disable Device, Pick Lock, or Sleight of Hand...

I feel so alone in my desire to roleplay...

Honestly I've got a good gruop. However D&D is their "I wanna play something kewl and uber, and hack up evil/good/chaotic/lawful".

We reserve throw away games for actaul roleplay sessions. Heck I got more roleplaying out of them when I ran the When Darkness Comes boardgame, than we do in a standard D&D game.

le sigh--EvilE