PDA

View Full Version : Little Fears

NPCMook
2009-01-03, 05:31 AM
Has anyone ever heard of, looked at, or played this game? I read through the rulebook and find it terrifying. The game seems to poke at those age old childhood horrors we have long forgotten, and intrigues me enough to actually want to try it out...

Satyr
2009-01-03, 05:56 AM
I own this game and played it from time to time, but it is not for everyone. Horror games work well with characters who are not the most powerful people aorund, so the idea with the children as PC's is very well for the mood of the game. The idea that children see something more than adults is somewhat ridiculous but is an acceptable premise for the game.
On the other hand, the game collected much hate because included short mentions of child abuse and violence against children, which some people took as an offense.

Grail
2009-01-03, 06:29 AM
The idea that children see something more than adults is somewhat ridiculous but is an acceptable premise for the game.

It's an oft used trope. For one of the best uses, see Raymond E Feists, Faerie Tale.

Prometheus
2009-01-03, 11:58 AM
Sounds like an interesting premise.

I think I would probably want to play a twisted child that was intrigued, rather than scared, of what I saw - and then subsequently killed horribly.

Children at a young enough age have trouble with abstract concepts and sound logic - perhaps you could weave a dreamlike atmosphere into it - that is, in which things that barely make sense occur. This will both strengthen and weaken a character's sense of control over his/her surroundings.

Satyr
2009-01-03, 12:01 PM
I know that it is a frequently use topoi, it doesn't make much sense to me, that's all.

Grail
2009-01-03, 07:44 PM
I know that it is a frequently use topoi, it doesn't make much sense to me, that's all.

I actually think it can make a lot of sense. As we get older, we lose the wonder and appreciation of the world, we no longer believe in the monster under the bed, we can no longer look at a cardboard box and see a space-ship, or a pirate ship or a castle. As such, children can be more open to discovery of the creepy-crawly, or realise that the sound in the basement isn't just subsidance, the noise in the attic isn't rats.

Garatolla
2009-01-03, 10:52 PM
I really like the notion of the game, but then I like horror in general; I'm pondering running a game soon as it's easy to learn the rules for, and will work in an online format which is where I will have to run it.