PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Equipment choices for tricksiness and evasion for a Beguiler

Bulwer
2009-01-03, 08:20 AM
I'm building an Arcane Gnome Beguiler, starting at level 8 with WBL (27000gp).

I've decided on what to get with most of it. So far, it's the following:

Heward's Handy Haversack
Hand of the Mage
Ring of Sustenance
Headband of Intellect +2
+1 Easy Travel, Glamered, Agility, Restful, Mithral Breastplate
Quarterstaff: This one's fun. Someone talked the DM into using the Black Company Campaign setting masterworking rules. It gives me a +2 on Diplomacy and Intimidate, and +1 on Initiative. It also has a hidden oil chamber (Dungeonscape, 1000gp) that's lined with lead (Complete Scoundrel, 10gp). The whole thing is and appears to be non-magical, even under Detect Magic, even when the chamber is filled with Dust of Sneezing and Choking that can be sprayed as a swift action.
Dust of Sneezing and Choking, just in case.

I've got 8,190gp left to buy goodies.

I was considering Boots of Sidestepping(MIC, 3k), which give me a free five foot step whenever I have to make a Reflex save to get out of the way.

Also, a Cloak of Resistance, maybe, though all I really need is that Reflex save.

Some way to increase my speed would be handy, but I might be able to talk the DM into the Quick trait to knock me up to 30ft in exchange for HP.

A Tunic of Steady Spellcasting, maybe.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice on what to get. I'd like to have a few hundred left over to buy fun mundane toys like extendable poles, caltrops, light sources, and so on. What are your favorites?

Grail
2009-01-03, 08:44 AM
There is plenty of goodness in the Arms and Equipment guide, even though it is 3.0.

Quiver of Ehlona stocked full of gadget arrows such as Signal, Thunder, Alchemist, Blunt, Magic Arrows such as Elven Leaf Arrows, Arrows of Disintergration, Bane Arrows etc.

Animal Calls, Collapsable Grappling Hooks, Glass Cutter, Shriek Rocks (one of my favs and used well in a number of games), Marbles, Flotation bags, Bolt Cutters, Periscope, Sparker, Springwall, Gravebane, Stonebreaker Acid, etc etc

Stuff from the PHB that is good are items like Wax, Chalk, Cloth, Oil, Soap, Tanglefoot bags, Sunrods, Manacles, Caltrops. Seriously if you want to be this kind of character you should go for James Bond with a portable Q department.

With a HHH, (or 2), you can have gadgets out the wazoo, and it's always best to have more than you need rather than less.

Noneoyabizzness
2009-01-03, 11:05 AM
ring of evasion.

Bulwer
2009-01-03, 01:20 PM
Mask of Lies is my new best friend. 4500gp for +5 to Bluff, Undetectable Alignment, and the ability to alter my appearance as Disguise Self 3/day, which is +10 on Disguise.

EDIT: And I just saved a bunch of money on Glamering my armor.

EDIT: Okay, new plan. What can I do with a belt slot and an arm slot that's really cheap? Not even magical, just cool.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2009-01-03, 03:17 PM
Don't forget to look at the item sets in MIC, the Raiment of the Four is probably one of the most useful collections of items I've ever seen. Plus it lets you spontaneously cast spells that aren't on your regular spell list a few times/day.

TempusCCK
2009-01-03, 04:00 PM
You can get bracers for your arm slots that are similar to your staff, with a hidden compartment that can shoot out all sorts of fun things.

Also, may I mention thunderstones and flash powder, always useful to have on hand.