PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Homebrewing a Setting

playswithfire
2009-01-03, 08:50 AM
Is there one? Or is this such a large and varying-by-personal-tastes process that there's no way to create a unified guide? I've looked through the Giant's gaming articles in which he creates his own setting as a way to try to guide my thinking, but are there any other resources I should be looking at.

Alternatively, at what point do people recommend posting a homebrew-setting-in-progress to the forums to get feedback? When you've established the basic current geopolitical state of the world? When you've got that plus the world history?

I appreciate any thoughts on this process.

afroakuma
2009-01-03, 09:05 AM
There isn't one, to be honest. You could look over Vote Up A Campaign Setting to see what sorts of ideas were put forth for structure, or check out an in-progress or complete campaign setting posted to these boards.

Zeta Kai
2009-01-03, 10:57 AM
Well, the Table of Contents for one of my current projects (guess which one!) should give you an idea of what aspects need to be addressed in order to make an complete setting. Some of the aspects are not entirely necessary, but races, classes, & a map will get you far.

Also, as far as when to post something, you can do so at anytime. This forum is a more pleasant place than most, & you're more likely to get constructive criticism here than more antagonistic forums. That being said, it is preferable that if your idea for a class/race/monster/whatever is incomplete, then you should label it as thus, so other people know that it's not done & needs polish. Completed concepts have different expectations & judging standards than unfinished works, dontcha know.